Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Make the Call

February 8, 2015

WooHoo! Bitten is back and Elena is pissed off. All I'll say for now since it's not airing the US yet. Season two opened with a great episode. Looking forward to seeing how everything plays out. And The Walking Dead returned. I’m watching as I type. Interesting episode so far, very different, which I like.

Over on The Flash and Arrow, good efforts by both shows. I'm happy to see Oliver back in Starling City and the angst factor cranking up to a zillion. Gotham and Sleepy Hollow were okay, especially that ending on SH.

Now I just need Orphan Black to return and make my brain explode. LOL

Tonight's post is from Make the Call, a novella with main characters who have to find their way back to each other.

Here's the tagline:

Gia Pimm has everything she wants, but a reminder from her mother—that Gia will always suffer when good things happen—makes her walk away from Nolan Curry. But when she needs antibiotics, she swallows her pride and makes a call to the man who has them—Nolan.

And here's a sneaky peek…

He handed the box over. "Here it is. I hope he knows what it cost you to get this stuff."
Gia's gaze went hard. "Meaning my pride? No big loss, Nolan. I've got plenty to go around, right?" She turned to leave.
His hand shot out, grasping her arm. "He's worth that much to you? Enough to make you grovel?"
She wouldn't answer. She couldn't tell Nolan she wanted the meds so she could break things off with Rand and not be weighed down by guilt. Her shoulders stiffened, squaring for battle.
He dropped his hand, almost like he couldn't stand to touch her. "Never mind. Of course he is." He took several steps back. "Be happy, Gia." Turning, he ducked out the door.
She didn't want him to leave. "Nolan!" Crossing the space, she hit the doorway and slammed into a hard body and hands shot out to steady her.
Nolan.
Meeting his gaze, her throat went dry. She loved him so damned much. Why did she have such a hard time trying to explain?
Swallowing, she had to give it her best effort. "I'm not, Nolan. Happy, I mean. Haven't been since my second day down here." Easing back, getting some space between them, she continued. "But you called it. Too damned much pride wouldn't let me go back. Hell, you told me not to come back. I took you at your word."
He opened his mouth but she halted him.
"You got your swipes in, it's my turn. I called you, pride or no pride, to get the meds Rand needs. Not because I’m so in love with him I'd do anything, but because I'm not in love with him."
Nolan shook his head. "You've lost me, Gia. If you don't love Rand, why the hell did you call for the meds?"
She blurted. "Because he knows it. That's why he's sick."
Nolan tugged her over to the small couch Lila had tucked in the corner. "Spill everything. Explain."
She did. Starting with how Rand responded every time she bailed on their plans. By going to the fights and getting pounded. Then he returned home, bypassing the medical facility, to nurse his wounds. Or not take care of them. Low grade infection lowered his resistance enough to truly threaten his health once the cold weather settled in.
Nolan frowned. "Does he want to die?"
Gia shrugged. "It's too bad if he does. I'm not going to let him." She tucked the antibiotics into her bag.
Nolan sighed. "So, we're right back where we started then." His eyes slid closed and he pinched the bridge of his nose.
Gia laid a hand on his bicep. "No, we're not. I'm taking the meds to medical then I'm gathering my gear and coming back here…" His gaze snapped to hers and she held it.
"If you'll wait." She paused a moment, removing her hand. "And let me come back."
Nolan studied her for a several long seconds. "I think I can do that." His lips curved in a slight smile. "I'll radio ahead and have the quartermaster start the paperwork."
Gia grinned, so relieved she almost sank to the ground. "Give me fifteen minutes." She reached out, grasping his fingers. "Please don't leave without me."
Nolan squeezed her hand. "Take your time. I'm not going anywhere."
This one has some twists and turns and goes a little dark, but I'm loving where it's taking me.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flip.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment