Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday Snippet: No Loss of Life

Whew. Can I say transferring data from old computers to new computers is a pain in the waz? It seriously is. Gah.

Anyway, moving files didn't stop me from watching my appointment television. Gotham is keeping me interested. Banshee, with only one episode left, has me hanging on the edge of my seat. Bitten keeps improving on the books. And I don't mean it's better or anything, but I like the changes so I don't always know what's coming next. And finally, The Walking Dead is actually kind of riveting lately. I absolutely love the almost scaled back tension and how it's building to hopefully something big.

Patiently waiting for Strike Back to return and Orphan Black very soon now. Need to watch the first two seasons again just to ramp up.

Tonight's post is from No Loss of Life, a novella pitting my main characters on opposite sides of an issue.

Here's the tagline:

Brigit Hardy is an anti-government revolutionary who kicks the system in the teeth to incite change. Vlad Octavius is the government agent who has to bring her to heel. There's only one problem—Vlad hates what she does, but can't disagree with her reasons.

And a sneaky peek…

Vlad seized the opportunity to formally meet Brigit, following Augie through the crowded space. When Brigit turned, Vlad missed a step, bowled over by the passion lingering in her eyes. What would it take to have her look at him with so much feeling? What the hell am I thinking? He shook off the foolish notion and waited for Augie to make the introduction.
Augie shuffled on nervous feet. "Er, Brigit, this is the guy I've been telling you about. Vlad Octavious, meet Brigit Hardy."
Vlad stuck out his hand. "Nice speech. You have a quite a presence." He winced when Brigit grasped his hand in a tight grip.
She smirked. "And I've made an impression then?" She pulled free and crossed her arms over her chest. "Why are you here?"
Vlad blinked but respected her caution. "To see what young Augie's been blathering about for days now." He stepped cautiously with his next words. "He's been keeping me out of trouble at the shelter, showing me the ins and outs. Listening to him has paid off so far. Couldn't refuse when he asked me to meet him here tonight." Close enough to the truth, her keen nose for bullshit should be fooled.
Brigit narrowed her gaze and tilted her head to one side.
Or not.
After several long moments, where she swept thorough head to toe once over, she straightened and tossed off a genuine smile. "Well then, welcome to the revolution."
She didn't wait for a response. Turning on her heel, she stalked away and headed for the closest exit.
Augie let out a quick laugh. "So, that's Brigit. Not one for small talk at all."
Vlad kept her in his sight until she left the building. "No, I guess not." He slid a slow glance toward Augie. "What did she mean by 'welcome to the revolution'?" Big moment time. He needed confirmation from Augie.
The young man flashed a grin. "It means you're in, man. When everything goes down, you'll be a part of it." He slapped Vlad on the shoulder and walked away.
Vlad cracked a smile. Pay dirt. He finally landed a prime spot in Brigit's inner sanctum. Now his work really started.
Taking the woman down before she started blowing stuff up.
Gotta say, Vlad has his work cut out for him. Brigit won't go down without getting her pound of flesh.



That's is for this week. Catch everyone on the flip.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment