Sunday, July 24, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Call to Come Home

Well, The Last Ship finally dropped another death on me. And of course it's someone I did like. That said, they weren't in my no kill zone so I'm bracing for impact this week. LOL I still think the president is a potential bad buy. There's just some slightly slimy about him, in my opinion.

Killjoys had a terrific episode. I seriously love having everyone show up, even if only briefly. I'm kind of thrilled Fancy didn't end up dying last season, and I realize this isn't the first time we've seen him, but I like watching him in action.

Dark Matter definitely has my interest. I did worry after the "meh" first episode, but since then, they've hit on all cylinders. Loving the interaction between Five and everyone else. I also can't wait to see what happens with the android.

Busy week kept me from sinking back into Strike Back, but I did watch more Babylon 5. One of my favorite things about season two is how things start coming together. Random bits that didn't seem to be important become so. I love that!

That's all for television this week. Tonight's post is from Call to Come Home, a novella that got started with a prompt from a fan fiction community. The idea was to take an established canon storyline and turn it on its head. I love reimagining different scenes.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Hollace is on a mission in enemy territory to retrieve power cells to keep their temporary base station running. She bumps into a man she shares a past with, the presumed dead son of her commanding officer. When Verge refuses to leave with her, ignoring the call to come home, she takes matters into her own hands to reunite father and son… and to pick up where she and Verge left off.

And a sneaky peek…

Hollace docked at the anchorage cum base station and ran through post-flight in record time. For once, she couldn't wait to debrief. Stepping out of the transport, she ambled down the ramp and flashed a smile when Vasser greeted her at the bottom.
She clasped his hand. "I have good news, Sir." She leaned in, keeping her voice low. "Verge survived. He's alive."
Vasser's eyes went wide and his mouth dropped open. He glanced over her shoulder, looking for his son and her heart broke a little. Of course he'd think Verge had returned with her.
She bucked up and gave it to him straight. "He refused to leave."
Vasser's shoulders slumped and he turned away, heading for the aft corridor, which led to the command section of the base. Hollace wanted to punch Verge really hard and she would… as soon as the old man gave her to go to launch a recovery mission.
Scrambling to catch up with Vasser, she looped an arm around the old man's elbow. "It's not for the reason you think, Sir. He's got over a hundred survivors stationed in the Abbey of Dawnton. He wouldn't abandon them. They're relying on him to keep them alive and safe." She couldn't quite cover her admiration for his conviction.
Vasser's eyes widened. "Over a hundred?"
She nodded. "Yes, Sir. And they're all in pretty decent shape, considering what they've been through. You can be very proud of your son."
The old man's eyes misted. "Always have been. Just never told him." Regret tinged his words.
She squeezed his arm. "You'll be able to soon. Just give me the go, and I'll get a team together."
A brief smile cracked his usually stern features. "Lieutenant, you have a go."
Relief flooded her and she barely kept from fist pumping the air. "Mission parameters to you by 0500." She stepped back and started for the hatch. "With your permission?"
He jerked his head toward the exit. "Dismissed. Get some rest before you plan the op. 0600 is fine. He's survived this long down there. Another hour won't make a difference. I want you fresh and clear-headed when you get your people together."
Bone weary, she wouldn't argue. "Yes, Sir." She made her way to the hatch.
"Lieutenant?"
She turned back.
"Bring my boy home."
Offering a salute, she promised. "Count on it, Sir."

Truly having a lot of fun with this one. It's all plotted out and now I'm filling in the blanks.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment