Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday Snippet: The Cockpit

The Last Ship continues to blow my mind. I love the words that come from Chandler's mouth. Is the man perfect? Hell, no. But I'd totally back whatever play he wanted to make, even if it blew up in our faces. Can't wait to see what Blond Ambition tries to pull this week. And I have to say, the whole building of a wall thing, making the regional borders permanent, haunts me a little. I'm very interested in how that whole thing plays out. And hey… I get to see a familiar face on this week's episode!! YAY!!

Killjoys stayed dark and twisty and I won't complain. I'm saddened by the loss of a character who became a favorite. I'm also really interested in finding out what the hell is up with the faux scarbacks Evil Delle has working with her. Because that's a snag I want to see play out.

Dark Matter dialed the tension back a little and I'm okay with it. I continue to be amused by the little callbacks to the Stargate 'verse—this week it was a personal shield—and hope the inside references don't get to be too much. We'll see how that goes.

No Strike Back this week, but I did finish up season two of Babylon 5. I'm taking a small break to start on some 80s movies with my daughter and I've also got season one of Killjoys on tap. I'm revisiting the first episodes to see if there are some seeds planted that I missed. J

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from The Cockpit, a novella started on the idea of a couple meeting after several years of being away from each other. I love working with reunions. J

Here's the mini-blurb:

Lark Fisher pulls R&R and hits the most happening bar on Virgo, The Cockpit. Imagine her utter stupefaction when she finds out its owner is not only an old friend, but the one who got away.

And a sneaky peek…

Lark Fisher walked into her CO's office. "You wanted to see me, Sir?" She prayed her little altercation with a fellow officer didn't warrant charges.
Colonel Belding Batz sighed. "Yes, Lieutenant. I've got some news for you." He stood up, went to his filing cabinet, and glanced over his shoulder. "Fisher, you're a pain in my ass." Pulling the drawer open, he went on. "But even my problem children deserve some time off." He yanked out file and slapped it on the desk. "You drew R and R, Lieutenant." He flipped the folder open and slid a pass out of the pocket.
Lark bit back a groan. A weekend pass on Virgonon? The rim planets didn't offer much variety. Mainly because most were still developing and building their infrastructures.
She pasted on a smile. "I don't mind going back into the rotation, Sir. If it's all the same to—"
His gaze snapped upward. "It's not." He slid the credential across the surface of the desk. "You haven't had a weekend in port for way too long. It shows." He glanced up and caught her gaze. "Trust me, you don't want to fight me on this, Fisher. I recommend you get the hell off my ship for forty-eight hours. No funny stunts." His eyebrow rose up on his forehead.
Lark slid her gaze sideways. Of course Batz would remember what happened the last two times she'd snagged R and R. She'd sold the first pass and the second she held a lottery for. She'd rather have cold, hard credits in her pocket than a permit to get into trouble.
Then again, she got in hot water on the ship, too. Hence the mandatory downtime.
Lark picked up the card. "Yes, Sir. I'll be on the first shuttle down tomorrow." No use arguing with the man.
Especially when he probably had her best interests at heart.
Batz gave a friendly nod. "You do that, Fisher." He came around the desk and walked her to the hatch. "And, Lieutenant. I recommend you take the time to think hard about what you want your career to look like in ten years. Understand?" He pinned her with a strong gaze.
Shit, the one thing she wanted to avoid.
But she faked a smile and gave a jaunty salute. "Yes, Sir. Thank you." After exiting the office, her shoulders slumped and she leaned against the bulkhead.
Ready or not, Virgonon, here I come.

I'm a huge fan of putting characters on the intersection of a crossroad and making them face their future. Lark get that opportunity while revisiting her past. LOL



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment