Sunday, October 9, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Cupid's Folly

Gotham continues to intrigue me. I'm a little lost when it comes to Leigh and what's going on with her, but I'm in for the ride. The double Bruce's are definitely interesting so here's hoping that story pays off in a good way.

Still behind on Agents of SHIELD. Gotta try and catch up before the new episode.

The Flash kicked butt. I'll be disappointed if the whole resetting of the timeline keeps happening though. That said, it seems like there are some solid repercussions, which I'm totally down with.

Arrow also rocked. I'm thrilled to have the Russian storyline for the flashbacks. According to the scuttlebutt, this is the last year for flashbacks so I plan to enjoy. Moving forward, I'll be interested to see how things play out. Maybe they'll do futurescapes or something.

In all honesty, Van Helsing isn't quite doing it for me. I'll give it the rest of the season to see if the storyline improves. I'd really like to fall for this show.

MacGyver is seriously not bad. I do love the callbacks to the original but also the updated vibe of the new. I'm interested in the whole father thing, because the impression is Mac's is still living. That should be a fun twist.

Not sure I'm looking forward to The Walking Dead's premiere. I may skip the opener and watch The Talking Dead instead. I've got the same feeling I had during season two, which I ended up skipping.

Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow are up next. We've had football airing on our local CW channel so I might be playing catch up again.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Cupid's Folly, a novella came about from brainstorming holiday stories.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Jinx Jersey just signed on as the XO of the Cupid's Folly, captained by Alrick Cates and he's given her fair warning she picked the worst time to start her new post and develop an attraction for him. The pleasure ship is booked solid for the Valentine holiday and they don't have time for romance.

And a sneaky peek…

Jinx Jersey rushed to unlock her door and dashed to the buzzing comm unit. "Jersey." She dropped her groceries to the floor and flipped the video unit on.
The commodore of the interstellar admiralty greeted her. "Jersey, I'm glad I caught you. I was afraid you'd gone off to parts unknown like many of your classmates." He sat straight and tall behind his desk, a frown marring his stately features.
Melville Stern had a no-nonsense attitude that matched his name.
Jinx bit back a smirk. She'd had more than enough of parts unknown recently. She welcomed a little less excitement and more steady work. She planned to celebrate her graduation with a home-cooked meal and a bottle of wine.
She gave her former instructor a wide smile. "Not me, sir. The grocery store is exotic enough for the moment." Waving a hand, she indicated the bags at her feet.
He chuckled. "Well, good news for me. And you, too. I have a spot available for you on the Cupid's Folly, if you're interested." He keyed information into his console, which showed up on her viewscreen, pushing his image to the bottom left corner. "She's docked in Mayweather Station and I can arrange transport if you accept the post." He quirked an eyebrow.
Jinx quickly scanned the ship schematics on her monitor. Holy shit. A pleasure cruiser. A major step up from the heavy freighters she'd most recently flown on. And a nice gig for a newly commissioned employee of the interstellar flight corps.
The commodore cleared his throat. "Look, Jersey, if you'd rather wait—"
Jinx cut in. "No! No, please, I'll take it." She saved the schematics to her palm device. "I'm surprised. Figured I'd be lower on the call list and have to wait a while." Most graduates were warned it could at least a month, sometimes two, before placement would begin.
Stern leaned forward. "Your previous experience moved you up to the third spot. And your grades nudged you even higher." A note of pride crept into his voice.
A flash of regret speared through Jinx at the mention of her former line of work. She'd left the enforcement corps for good reasons, none of which her military family appreciated.
But she'd gained a wealth of knowledge about ships—freighters, pleasure cruisers, and the armada of frigates, destroyers, and carriers. Having a leg up proved to be an advantage for landing a job.
Jinx acknowledged his praise. "Thank you, sir. When do I report?" She slid a glance toward the groceries she'd purchased, hoping she'd have time to use some.
The commodore entered the details and transferred them. "I found a transport to Mayweather the day after tomorrow. This trip departs from there and ends at Babylon with stops at Hannaker, Tomika, and Concorde." He swiped his finger over the files and sent them to her monitor.
Holy shit. She landed a long cruise right out of the gate. A victory dance would happen as soon as this call ended.
Stern folded his hands on the desk and added one final detail. "And Jersey? You're signing on as the acting XO. The regular executive officer is down for surgery and can't make the trip. I'm confident you can handle the job."
Acting XO?
Jinx scraped her jaw off the floor. "Thank you, sir. I won't let you down." She resisted the urge to fist-pump the air.
The commodore gave her a nod. "See that you don't, Jersey." The screen went blank.
Jinx stood still for one moment then sashayed and spun all around her small apartment.
She couldn't wait to get aboard the Cupid's Folly and prove her mettle.

I'm hoping to have this one ready to go by Valentine's Day. I'm looking forward to seeing it release.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment