Sunday, March 19, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Follow Me

And we had about two inches of snow this week. Mother Nature is laughing her ass off right now.

The Walking Dead had another great episode. I always love Carol and I enjoyed Morgan's journey. The Talking Dead follow up made me happy, too.

The Flash took a turn I didn't expect and I like it. Looking forward to seeing what else the speed force comes up with to throw at Barry.

Legends of Tomorrow going to the moon proved a fun ride. Personally, I want a lot more Mick and Martin scenes. Their timing is so terrific. I'm also loving the Sarah / Rip dynamic. Love this show.

Arrow upped the tension by a zillion. His past keeps coming back to haunt him in huge ways. While I love how Adrian has everything twisted in his direction, I'll enjoy seeing him go down. At least I hope he goes down. Hard. And doesn't get back up. I'm also waiting for Felicity to land on the hot seat. Something tells me she's going to get into a mess she can't get out of.

Riverdale had a bye week, which makes me sad. No new episode this week either. Grr.

I finished up the first season of City Homicide and started Luke Cage. So far, I'm enjoying the Harlem vibe and look forward to seeing how Luke comes into his hero status.

Still need to catch up on Murdoch Mysteries and X Company. Possibly this week.

And that's it for television. This week's post is from Follow Me, an epic novel that I'm hoping to finally get finished up soon.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A 'will they' or 'won't they' wager spur Molly and Sloan to see how long they 'can' without getting caught.

And a sneaky peek…

The room plunged into darkness and Sloan finally staggered against the bulkhead. The pain slowly receded from his bruised shin and he chuckled… only quietly this time. "What the hell were we thinking… drinking that much during the card game?" At least in the inky blackness, the room didn't spin like the corridor had.
He could almost feel Molly roll her eyes before she answered. "Gee, Captain…" Her voice altered, she'd turned away. "Thought doesn't enter into anything when the booze goes down smooth."
Smooth? "More like it went down with a kick… followed by a bite." Then again, what the hell did he know? He still struggled to tell who from whom and what from what. He'd only been on board since the attacks four months ago and his brain was kinda fuzzy from the alcohol.
Damn… it had been a long time since he'd been this intoxicated. Over two years. And that had been with Molly also, but under very different circumstances. He didn't want to ponder those at the moment. In a round about way, they'd come somewhat full circle.
And circles were something else he didn't want to think about right now.
Being in the dark proved almost as bad as the brightly lit corridor. Sloan felt along the bulkhead, hoping to find the switch or a pull cord to a light. But his fingers met with smooth surface. "Dammit, I can't find the lights." He reached out again, but still came up empty.
Her head still fuzzy, Molly didn't mind the darkness. "Who needs them?" She leaned her forehead against the bulkhead. "Ah… nice and cool. Feels good against my head." She turned and propped her shoulders against the surface. "Never again, Sloan. I swear I'm never drinking this much ever again."
Sloan snorted. "You always say that, Molls." And she never stuck to it—one of the things he enjoyed about her.
Giving up finding a source for light, Sloan tried to get his bearings. "Where the hell are we?" The space felt familiar, but the walk to get there was all muddled in his head.   
Molly sighed. "Truthfully? I'm not sure, exactly. I kinda just picked a door to open." Thinking about it now, probably not her best move.
Sloan blew out an exasperated breath. "Geez, Molly, didn't you see the tag when you opened the door?" Not good. If she didn't have a clue where they were, they could end up locked in during a shift change. If they had to be rescued, so to speak, he wouldn't live it down. And he already had a hard enough time fitting in.
Molly couldn't hold back the drunken giggle. "Who can actually see anything? Er… any one thing, that is?" She giggled again even though it wasn't funny. Except it kinda was.
Sloan realized she was as bad off, or worse, than he was. And the humor finally struck him. "Uh… why do you think I was following you?" He didn't mention the fact that the view had been a thing of joy… the bits he remembered anyway.
Molly must've found that insanely funny; her bark of laughter rang out before she silenced it quickly. "Aww… I thought you were just trying to get close to me, Captain." She laughed again, quietly this time. "I think I'm rather insulted you were just using me for guidance." She heard Sloan move toward the sound of her voice then felt a heavy weight land on her foot. Ouch. "Uh, Sloan… that's me you're standing on." She dragged her foot out from her his.
Mortified, he apologized. "Damn… I'm sorry." Inching his way forward, he tried to be more careful. "I, um, was trying to get close to you…" He hadn't meant to admit that, but something about her teasing tone turned him on. Always had.
And since they were alone in a dark room, and he was just drunk enough to be brave, he decided to act on it. Regs be damned. "I still am… trying to get close to you… can't fucking see to do it though." No doubt about it, the alcohol played a big part in what he was doing, but he didn't care.

This is such a labor of love. I love my characters so much and with two follow-up novels, I've spent a lot of time with them.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment