Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Just One Moment

Ugh, the rain continues and it's making the outdoors feel like a sauna. I'm not against saunas but, ugh, I'd rather not have one 24 / 7. Besides… you can't run around outside with only a towel on. Okay, I guess it's not impossible, but I won't be doing it anytime soon. LOL

I had a friend recommend Will for my viewing pleasure. I haven't started it yet, but I'll give it a go. She's in love with everything about the show.

Have to play catch up again on my Syfy Friday night shows. I hate being behind and it sucks that on Demand and the Syfy app won't show the latest episode immediately. I have a lot of growly, snarly words about that topic.

Great news! Wynonna Earp is renewed for season three. I'm soooo happy we'll have more demon-killing gun action in the town of Purgatory. Woo!

Lots of terrific trailer action coming from SDCC. I'm looking forward to The Defenders if only for the awesome snark potential.

The Last Ship's new trailer is making me very impatient for the season to start already. Less than a month away, but still feels way too long.

Also… the final episodes of Teen Wolf start next week and I'm excited to see how the series ends.

One final note… I'm actually excited for Doctor Who again! Nothing against Moffat, he's written a few of my very favorite episodes but, ugh, he almost ruined the series for me. The entire last season just rubbed me wrong. I wish him nothing but the best with whatever he's involved in from here on out.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Just One Moment, a sexy short and probably free read to be posted to my website. My goal is to have one for each genre I write in and this one is for the science fiction / speculative romance crowd. It'll be longer than the other two but I think it'll make the Capital City Seasons fans happy.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A life-threatening situation and couples in love. Just one moment to say everything that needs to be said.

And a sneaky peek…

The persistent buzz and vibrating dance of a phone pulled Ben Murphy from a deep sleep.
He nudged his bed partner. "Jess. Phone."
An elite tactical officer, Jessa Muldoon led Team Bravo. Calls in the middle of the night usually went to her.
Jess popped her head up and a flash of lightning lit up her face. She blinked then reached for her phone.
With a grunt, she dropped back down. "Not mine, Murph. Yours." A crack of thunder and another streak of lightning had her sitting back up.
Murph fumbled for his device, silencing the buzz and checking the contact information. "Yeah, Dad. What's going on?" He rubbed the sleep from his eyes.
Angus Murphy got straight to the point. "Get Jess. I need you to come in. Storm's got the city under siege between flooding and fire." He mumbled something in the background. "I've got Margo calling in everyone else. Your group and Renfer's Alpha Team. I need the whole lot of you." The stress came through with his gruff delivery.
Ben slid out of bed and motioned for Jess to get up. "And you need us there two hours ago. Got it, Dad." He found a pair of pants and shoved his feet inside. "We'll be there in ten." Another booming rumble filled the room. "Or as soon as we can." Dead air met his ears.
Jess met his gaze while pulling on her clothes. "Gimme the bullet points." She snagged her phone and started keying in numbers.
Murph held up a hand. "Dad and Margo are handling the calls. The storm's got the city in turmoil and I'm assuming they need us to do damage control. Your team, Renfer's and mine." He jammed his feet into his shoes and started for the door.
Jess let out a low whistle. "The big guns. Everyone on deck." She put her boots on but didn't bother lacing them up.
Murph picked up his go bag and slung it over his shoulder. "Yep. Dad said something about flooding and fires." He followed her into the corridor and down the steps.
When they reached the main door, Murph got a better understanding of the situation. The torrential downpour reduced visibility to the point he couldn't see across the street. Wind whipped in gusts, flinging the rain against the glass windows. The sky lit up again and illuminated the road, showing water rolling up to the curb.
Jess blew out a breath. "Yeah, we're not taking your vehicle." She nodded toward the basement entrance. "Let's take my ride."
Being a team leader for the Strategic Tactical Unit gave her access to an all-terrain unit, which could actually float, if necessary. With one last glance outside, Murph didn't doubt it just might be.

If all goes well, each of the couples in the Capital City Seasons series will make an appearance. Of course, I have to finish writing the other books, which are all in various stages of completions.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment