Sunday, October 15, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Luck Runs Out

Well… another homecoming is in the books and life can return to semi-normal, which is still crazy but less so. LOL

Terrific week for television with shows returning for their fall premieres (and one season ender)!

The Last Ship's finale was everything I'd hoped for. The people I wanted to see not make it died in appropriate ways and they didn't touch anyone on my "better not kill" list, so, yeah, I'm thrilled to bits with how the season ended. And it looks like season five will be terrific! Can't wait for next summer.

I honestly didn't know if I'd like The Flash, but it ended up being a great episode. Cisco keeps things interesting and I like where Caitlyn is right now. Same goes for Legends of Tomorrow. Their reboot after messing up all of time is excellent. Can't wait to see what they end up doing for the rest of the season.

Arrow's premiere rocked. I really didn't know how they'd end up resolving the island explosion and it looks like there will be plenty of repercussions. I'm interested in what happened to the few we didn't see in the opening episode, namely the former league crew. I can honestly say it was awesome to see Raisa back with Oliver, too.

Gotham had another terrific episode. This show just keeps getting better and better. I like how they're beginning to weave Bruce's story into Gordon's… finally. I'm pretty "meh" about the Sophia Falcone stuff but we'll see where it goes.

My Netflix queue random pick ended up being Midsomer Murders. I'm enjoying a nice revisit to this show.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Luck Runs Out, a novella set in my Inter-Stellar Police universe, with a visit from Shyler Lumen of Furlough 99's Finding Home.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Domino Montgomery and Webb Wellesley are totally different personally and professionally, but they work seamlessly together. When they land an off world transport assignment, they have to babysit a condemned prisoner and deal with an impish captain who's hiding a wee bit of a secret of his own.

And a sneaky peek…

Domino rounded the corner to find Webb standing inside the door to her quarters. He itched to tidy up, his fingers literally twitching to pick stuff up. "Don't even think about touching anything." She strode through the entrance and tossed her empty rucksack on the bed.
He shot her an incredulous look. "How do you stand it? Live with the mess?" His eyes scanned the small space she called home.
Domino smirked. "I prefer to call it controlled chaos, but whatever." She reached for a pile of clothes. Clean, but unfolded, she rifled through the stack and pulled out what she'd need for the transport.
Webb shook his head. "You've been back from leave less than three hours and can't see the floor in here." He shot her a sideways look. "I know for a fact they cleaned while you were gone."
Domino rolled her eyes. "I know. I walked in this morning and wanted to heave." She shoved matched uniforms into the bag, but looked up. "Don't tell me you like the mashed pea green?" She stuck her tongue out and made a retching sound.
His lips twitched. "Okay, I'll give you that one. The color is disgustingly similar to what we see in the field." His grimace spoke volumes.
They saw some nasty shit out there. Bodily fluids did not come in pretty colors. And too many resembled the color of the carpet in her quarters.
Domino laughed. "Exactly." She snatched up her toiletry case and stuffed it into her duffel. "Which is why we need to get going… so I don't have to look at this anymore." Hoisting the case over her shoulder, she left her quarters. "Bilar said we need to be briefed first? Do you know why?" A drop run with a prisoner should be straightforward.
Webb shrugged one shoulder. "Eh, not really. Unless it's to give us tips on how not to die from boredom." He fell into step beside her.
 Domino's senses went on alert. "Argh. Something tells me that's not the case." Maybe the guy needed some kind of special care.
Webb paused outside the door of the captain's office. "Maybe not, but I've got a deck of cards in my gear that I'm willing to share."
Domino shot him a glance. "I brought a set of dice to keep things interesting." She bit back a grin when Webb frowned.
She loved playing tripoly. And Webb would be a straight shooter. She'd bet anything.
The trip might be more appealing than she'd thought.
They entered the office and the captain quickly ended a call. His face gave nothing away, but Domino's shoulders tensed. An air of tension permeated the room.
He motioned for each to take a seat. "Okay, we've got some ground to cover before you two head out." He opened a thick file folder. "This isn't your standard drop run."
Domino groaned. I knew it!

I'm enjoying the dynamic between Domino and Webb. I love opposites attract tropes and finding out where they find middle ground.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment