Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Event Horizon

Hello,

I feel kind of off balance since there's no new Orphan Black to rave about this week. LOL

But... Defiance held up against its premiere, no complaints. In fact, I'm really enjoying the shift in dynamics. The mayor totally creeps me out, and that's a good thing. The actor who plays him is one of my faves and it's fun to see him in something of a villainous role. And not that I have any expectations, but I'm thrilled Nolan and Amanda aren't dancing around each other and drawing crap out. Doesn't bode well, I'm sure, but half the fun of watching is to see where the writers take things.

Oddly, Dominion is keeping my attention, too. Didn't have loads of confidence, but I still want to find out what happens next. I also finished a rewatch of Bitten and I'm on the second season of a Canadian show—Arctic Air. I have a list of shows from Canada I'm looking forward to watching. Stay tuned. J

Tonight's post is from Event Horizon, a short story / novella featuring my favorite kind of characters—pilots.

Here's the tagline:

Casey meets Oliver on a transport flight to celebrate his dad's retirement. They hit it off, but Casey has a big secret… she's the reason Oliver's brother didn't pass the flight test and she doesn't want the old man to find out.

And a sneaky peek…

Casey swirled the spoon inside her coffee cup. "How's your brother doing?" Her gut clenched and she awaited his response.
Oliver shrugged. "He's actually doing great. If the old man would leave him alone, he'd be doing even better."
Casey frowned. "You're dad's still upset Orwen didn't pass basic flight?" She'd hoped the elder Stephas would have realized his youngest son didn't have the heart and grit it took to fly.
Oliver rolled his eyes. "He'll still be pissed even after he's dead and buried. The man considers it a point of pride that every Stephas male for seven generations earned their wings… except Orwen." He lifted his mug and drained the contents.
Casey cocked her head to one side. "No females? I mean, I know you don't have a sister, but would that make a difference?"
Oliver chuckled. "Great question. Oddly, we've had exactly two girls in those seven generations." His lips twitched. "Both went into medicine."
Casey's eyes widened. "Two? That's it?" She blinked. "What are the odds of only having two females in how many years?"
Oliver snorted. "Too many to count. And if you ask my dad, he'll tell you that whatever rules the universe made it so all Stephas men enter the military and fly." He waited a beat. "Except Orwen."
Casey pushed a little. "You're very hard on your old man." She wondered if she might have an ally in Oliver.
He lifted a brow. "You've met the guy, right?"
Her lips quirked. "I have." Several times, each occasion memorable.
Oliver leaned back in his seat. "Then you know what he's like."
Casey nodded. "Unbending, unyielding and a pain in the ass? From what I've experienced, those are his good qualities."
Oliver laughed. "I think you and I are going to get along very well." He moved forward, resting his forearms on the table. "My dad's not gonna win the nicest guy on the planet award, but he's a damned good officer." He met her gaze. "He's not thrilled with being forced into retirement, so if you can, stay on his good side."
Casey slowly bobbed her head up and down. "I always try. For some reason, he seems to like me."
Oliver grinned. "Because you didn't cower or go running for cover when he stormed into your classroom and demanded a meeting." He chuckled. "When you told him you'd be happy to meet with him… as soon as you dismissed your class, you earned his respect."
Casey ignored the queasy churning of her stomach. "I thought he might tag me for insubordination that day." She'd been lucky he hadn't.
Oliver shook his head. "No, the old man is a hard ass, but you made the right call. He'd overstepped his authority and knew it."
Casey's lips curved, but her heart twisted. She prayed her secret remained undiscovered. Orin Stephas could ruin her career if he found out she'd put his son in danger by letting him attempt to qualify when his classwork didn't warrant the experience.
Oliver kicked back again. "Dad made sure you got an invitation to his shindig because he's impressed with you." He met her gaze again. "He'd like to see you continue moving up the ranks."
Casey wanted to confess her transgression to Oliver, but kept her mouth shut. How stupid would she be to tell Orin's other son what she'd done? Even if she kind of trusted he wouldn't tell a soul, she wouldn't take the risk.
Instead, she smiled. "I'm looking forward to seeing him again." Hopefully for a few brief moments in a receiving line, then only in passing.
Oliver glanced over to the clock on the wall. "Wheels up in five minutes. If you're ready, we can board together."
Oliver is going to be in a sticky situation when Casey has a little too much to drink at the reception. Depending on where the story goes, he'll either be doing damage control or actively working to keep Casey off the hot seat. :D



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flip.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment