Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Set the Record Straight

July 5, 2015

Happy Fireworks Day to my US readers. Happy weekend to my non-US readers.

So… Teen Wolf premiere, two nights of great viewing. The bad part? Now I have to wait for the next episode. I can't just hit 'next' anymore. Totally sucks. LOL

Another great episode of The Last Ship. I'm kind of intrigued with where they're going to take the story. The Irish-sounding guy grated, which I'm assuming he was supposed to, but yeah, what's all his blather about?

Defiance, as usual, rocks. I'm glad to visit the Nolan / Irisa origins a little more. With the potential for another war looming, their crap needs to be in order, right? Something tells me it won't be so easy. I'm also happy Killjoys and Dark Matter still have me interested. I'm a sucker for sibling rivalry, so the Jaqobis brothers are my catnip right now. Can't wait to see them go head to head and work out their issues. I'm rather enjoying the small, little breadcrumbs being dropped in Dark Matter. Makes me want to pay super close attention so I don't miss something crucial. J

I only have one more episode of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries to be caught up with the current season. Then it's off to find out if I can stream eps from Australia, because I love, love, love this show. :D

Tonight's post is from Set the Record Straight, a novella where my main characters have to work out some issues.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Keegan Brimm and Warner Misona check their feelings for each other at the spaceport airlock and have a knock down fight before they finally drag out all the baggage between them to set the record straight.

And a sneaky peek…

Keegan wiped the smear of blood from her lip. "For the record, I didn't sleep with Zimmer. I passed out in his bed and when he tried to make a move, I laughed." She snorted. "Didn't go over very well." She turned and started for the corridor leading to quarters. "He retaliated by spreading the lie I slept with him, which I could give two shits about, because I know I didn't." She glanced back over her shoulder. "And I don't care if everyone else assumes it's true." Crossing the deck, she made a left and started for quarters.
Warner caught up. "Geez, Keegan, hold up a minute." He got in front of her and blocked her path. "You get why I thought it happened, don't you? I mean, after the major when you were with Damien, and what almost happened between you and me—"
She held up a hand. "Look. You've got more than a few things wrong here." Heaving a sigh, she paced the width of the causeway. "Let's set the record straight here." She paused. "Major Westcroft tried to get me to sleep with him when he found out about Damien and me." She slid Warner a sideways glance. "I refused." Her feet moved again, back and forth. "Didn't stop him from putting it around the base that we'd done the deed, even when we didn't come close." She stopped again, fighting the urge to rub a thumb over the abrasion below her lip.
Warner growled. "Dammit, I'm an idiot." He moved forward. "I'm sorry I threw that in your face." Using two fingers, he lifted her chin, brushing a fingertip over the mark he'd left.
Keegan shook her head. "I deserved it." She met his gaze. "I almost cheated on Damien with you, right? Why wouldn't you think I'd slept with someone else?" The irony of how close she'd come to trashing her relationship with Damien with the man in front of her bit down hard.
He tilted his head to one side. "So… the night we met…" His voice trailed off, no doubt because he had the same realization.
Her lips twisted between a grimace and a smile. "Yeah, wasn't just me looking to get a stiff one." She met his gaze again. "I felt something. Drunk or not."
Warner nodded. "But you loved Damien and didn't want to have that spark."
Keegan lifted her chin. "Exactly." Which didn't help, because she couldn't deny the jolt still existed.
Warner agreed. "Yeah, same. I hated what I almost let happen that night." He grasped her arm, leading her to the low bench seat along the corridor. "But you've got it wrong, Keeg. You don't deserve my contempt. You never did." He settled on the seat and tugged her down beside him. "And I finally have my head out of my ass, for what it's worth." His hand covered her, squeezing her fingers.
Keegan's lips quirked. "It's worth a lot, actually." She angled to the side, meeting his gaze head on. "I'm certain Westcroft is involved in Damien's death and I'm going to prove it. I could use your help doing so." Her tongue flicked out, wetting her lower lip. "If you're willing to risk putting head on the chopping block with me."
Warner's features settled into a hard mask of determination. "I'm willing. The major's reign of power ends here."

I'm looking forward to seeing where this one goes. So far, the sages are having fun keeping me on the edge of my seat.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment