Sunday, January 29, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Fail Me Now

Okay, Riverdale, you have my attention. My high hopes were met and surpassed. Here's hoping the following episodes stay the course. My sister blog, Universes Altered, might pick up a weekly recap on this show. The acting and cast are a terrific mix and I look forward to seeing what this crew does.

Gotham's follow-up episode intrigued me. I'll lay money Leigh made a deal to stay away from Jim to spare his life. We'll see how long that lasts. Having Jerome loose in the city will be chaotic, to say the least. If the origin story I think is playing out continues, I'm in. I also love the other two prongs of the cold war between Ed and Oswald along with the mama drama between Selena and Bruce. Thoroughly love how the trio of plot threads are playing out.

The Flash returned and didn't disappoint. Future vibing is kind of cool, but something tells me the crew is going to have burnt asses before it's all over.

Legends of Tomorrow always makes me happy when they visit someone famous before they're, well, famous. Having George Lucas kind of made the show. While I rather enjoyed Malcolm and Damien's team-up, I'm not sure how much fun it'll be if it's overused. I don't, however, think Mick and Stein sharing screen time will ever get old. More of that, please.

Arrow rocked, as usual. I have some doubts about the district attorney really helping Oliver, but we'll see what happens. Having Earth 2 Laurel is an interesting twist. Looking forward to seeing what happens there. Loved the bonding moment between Curtis and Rene, too.

Finished up Strike Back through season three. Holding off on four, but should start it soon. Got caught up on The Librarians, Murdoch Mysteries, and Teen Wolf. I'm thrilled to be current on all three. Whew. Missed the premiere of The Magicians and hope to catch up on that one soon.

Decided to forego watching MacGyver for now. I might binge watch after the season is over. The show just isn't holding my attention like I want it to and the cast shake-ups aren't something I'm thrilled with.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Fail Me Now, a novella that got a writing community prompt start. The prompt suggested writing a scene with the main female character being the CAG of a command carrier and the male is the captain of his own ship, then leaves to join the military during a crisis.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tate Emerson has no desire to fly fighters—he's worked too hard to get out from under his father's thumb. But when enemy forces attack, Indi Best comes calling with a special invitation from the elder Emerson: Join the fight or get left behind. Tate hatches a plan to do his part, but not have to take orders from his father.

And a sneaky peek…

Tate Emerson didn't play the odds.
He wouldn't be flying a freighter into a combat zone if he did.
His second in charge, Rance Dawkins, shot Tate a quick glance. "You have a plan, captain?" He turned his attention back to the flashing blips on the screen.
Each light represented a fighter. Some were enemies and others, allies. All were in the middle of a shooting match directly outside the nearly destroyed supply outpost Tate's ship had launched from.
Tate kept his gaze on the main viewer. "Yeah. The plan is to get through that line and make it to the other side." Getting through would test his pilot skills, but also prove a worthy challenge.
Rance choked out his response. "In one piece? 'Cause I'm thinking we'll be blown to shit if we try."
Tate pointed in the direction they were fleeing from. "We can't go back there. It's already breaking apart." He nudged the helmsman out of the way. "We're full up and the concourse is gonna need everything we can get through."
They had medical supplies, ammunition, rations, and fighter parts. The hold overflowed and the corridors were stacked deck to ceiling with crates and boxes. They were well beyond weight capacity, but Tate didn't care. He'd fly until the ship fell out of the black. Or got shot into exploding chunks.
Rance blew out a harsh breath. "Okay, then. What's the plan?" He settled into the navigator's chair and brought up the display.
Tate grinned. "Go right up the middle, low enough to avoid being caught in the crossfire and high enough to clear the asteroid field."
Rance groaned. "You're insane. You know that, right?" He settled back, not bothering to chart a course.
Tate shrugged. "Runs in my family." He hand-waved his 2IC's concern. "And you're used to it." They'd been running blockades together for three years.
Rance snorted. "Damn right I am." He glanced at the wide-eyed crew. "Strap in and brace for some chop. The captain's gonna guide us right up the ass crack of the enemy."
And Tate did exactly that.

I have this one plotted out and brainstormed. Here's hoping I can find time to flesh all the pieces out.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment