Sunday, July 2, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Internal Dialog

Welcome to July, meaning half the year is gone and I have no idea where it went. LOL

This has been a crazy week. I'm so far behind on my fave shows. I missed the premiere of Killjoys and I'm carving, carving time out Monday to make sure I don't get too far behind.

I did get to catch most of Dark Matter and Wynonna Earp. I really do like where things are going with both shows.

I've decided I'll probably end up binge watching Orphan Black. I haven't had the time to catch up on my missed episodes. As for Doctor Who… I'm just so disgusted with this season I don't even care how it ended. This makes me sad. Considering some of my very favorite episodes were written by Moffat—oddly, all before he became showrunner—I'm truly discouraged with how much he's destroyed the joy of watching the show for me. Here's looking forward to Chris Chibnall's tenure. May he bring back my love for the show.

Finished up my rewatch of City Homicide and think I'll be moving on to Sense8 for my next binge marathon. Also caught another episode or two of Young Justice. Almost through the first season and I like the setup for what I think is coming.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Internal Dialog, a novella where my characters need to check their baggage at the spaceport and deal with how they feel.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tom Callahan is an excellent soldier who never makes strategic errors on the job, but tends to mess up on the personal front. Abbey Parks is a firecracker who gets things done and rarely takes time to ponder a decision before she leaps. But when she crosses a line she didn't know existed, she and Tom have to navigate their way back to each other, which isn't easy considering they never approach a situation the same way.

And a sneaky peek…

Abbey watched Tom as they jostled through the corridors, knowing he was over thinking things again. Internalizing instead of venting, holding things in. If Tom spent half as much time doing as he did thinking, he’d probably be amazed at how much more progress he’d make.
Take them, for example… he’d gone fairly quiet after their exchange on the Cythera. They still talked, had each other’s backs, but he didn’t mention the greeting or the fact that he’d told her he loved her and would listen any time she wanted.
She’d had time to think about it and everything sort of fell into place for her. They’d been dancing around each other for so long and Tom finally broke orbit, hence the reaction to her sleeping with Francois. She could kick herself for getting so damned drunk that she'd fallen into bed with him.
Again… if Tom spent half as much time doing…
Not that she had room to talk. They’d gotten closer since the initial attacks. Her part in his father's death didn't hang between anymore and she knew Tom liked to take things slow. His pole-axed gaze when he'd seen her gussied up for the first victory celebration should have been her first clue that they had potential.
But she’d been in denial mode.
Their argument, her bucking orders, the time on Orion… all seemed so far away when his lips hit hers on the Cythera. It was like coming in from a storm… she just didn’t realize it at first. It had been so long since she'd had someplace to call home, where she felt safe and secure.
She was so wrapped up in the memory she shot right past Tom when he paused at the hatch to quarters. Stopping short, she turned to find him looking at her with an amused expression on his face.
She rolled her eyes up and over. “Guess I wasn’t paying attention.” Following him into quarters, she watched as he walked over to his locker to shed the dress grays. “Tom…” She waited for him to glance her way.
She met his gaze, the room became charged between them. “I’d like to have that talk now.”
Holding her gaze, he responded with a slight inclination of his head. Words weren’t really necessary and Abbey dogged the hatch and barred it.

Honestly, this one is coming together in bits and pieces. I have a feeling a storyboard to finish up is in my future.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment