Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Leading the War Effort

August 27, 2017

So… The Last Ship has a beyond awesome two-hour season premiere. I'm so happy this show is back on my television! I love where the characters are and I've added Meylan to my "do not kill" list. The showrunners better be listening or they're paying my bar tab at the end of the season. Just saying.

I'm making headway on my catch-up viewing of Killjoys, Dark Matter, and Wynonna Earp. Totally love where all three shows are going. Killjoys just makes me happy with the twisty turns it takes when I'm least expecting them. I didn't know if I'd be on board with the whole Aneela shtick, but I really like the small revelations we get here and there. Dark Matter can be uber confusing sometimes, but I like the overall arc of where things end up. Wynonna Earp blows my mind. The cast interactions are amazing and I'm so happy another season will be on tap.

Catching up on Teen Wolf and, yeah, Gerard being back makes things very interesting. I love the element of fear being almost personified. Looking forward to where everything ends up.

In casting news, one of my favorite actresses signed on to be a villain on The Flash. Looking forward to seeing what Katee brings to the table as a baddie.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Leading the War Effort, a novella that got a prompted beginning of writing something with a WWII feel, having one character as a Rosie the Riveter-type. I took a different spin on the prompt and like where things are going.

Here's the mini-blurb:

North Normandy becomes the test subject for a super soldier project and his first mission is to rescue his captured father. Frankie Gant knows the venture inside out, but lacks the emotional connection her superiors feel the candidate will need. Frankie acts as North's handler and when the planned op goes south, she risks her life, undergoing the same process to pull both men out of enemy territory.

And a sneaky peek…

North stopped mid-exercise, his eyes narrowed on Frankie. "What's your problem?" His tone demanded an answer.
She widened her eyes. "Problem?" Her brow quirked a little and his mouth thinned to a flat line.
North huffed out a harsh breath. "Yes. Every time I go through a set of maneuvers, you make this face like you find me wanting. Or you roll your eyes and snort with derision. So, yeah, I'm asking what your problem is." He snagged a towel and mopped his face.
Chastised, because he shouldn't be able to read her so well, she debated whether unloading on him would accomplish anything. She could be removed from the program if she pushed him too hard or too far. Then again, she didn't have much to lose anymore.
She tilted her head to one side and made her choice. "I don't have a problem, solider. You do."
He arched a brow. "Is that right? Care to share what you think are my shortcomings?" He folded his arms across his chest and widened his stance.
Her lips curved. "You asked for it." She set the clipboard aside. "One, you're not engaged. You go through the motions, half-assing each set. Two, you're not taking this seriously, and you should be because your father's life depends on your ability to survive the program. You fail, you die and so does your dad." Warming up to the tirade, she ticked off another observation. "Three, you walk around like it's your divine right to be here, when undergoing this process is a privilege most won't have the honor of having." People like her, who'd give her soul to be included. "And four, well, you wouldn't understand even though you're supposed to have above average intelligence so I won't bore you with the details." Why would he care anyway?
North showed no outward reaction, standing silently but holding her gaze before he finally nodded, acknowledging her words. "Okay, first, why don't you explain why I'm doing basic training maneuvers when it's already standard practice for every recruit when they enter standard military? This is supposed to be an elite program." His voice held censure. "Second, I'm definitely serious about saving my dad's life, but we're wasting time with the aforementioned issues in your first point. The stakes are high but the regimen I'm doing doesn't come close to matching them." He started pacing back and forth. "Third, divinity has nothing to do with why I'm here and you know it. I volunteered because your case study suggested the emotional element is the key to surviving the treatment. Bonds don't get much deeper than a parent with their child, regardless of age, unless you're talking about the love shared between significant others." His voice had risen, but he paused and lowered it when he continued. "Which leads me to your fourth point, the one you don't think I'm capable of understanding." He stopped then resumed pacing. "You know this program inside and out but, even though you're probably the best candidate for the process because you're emotionally involved and have been from the beginning, they won't let you undergo treatment because they won't risk losing an asset they consider too valuable to the work." He stopped and met her gaze. "How am I doing so far?"
Frankie flicked her tongue along her back teeth to keep from gnashing them together. North pretty much had her number with everything he'd said. She didn't like it, but couldn't deny he'd nailed everything.
She lifted her chin. "You're more of less spot on." Shrugging, she turned to pick up the clipboard again.
North moved forward and stood toe-to-toe with her. "I'd call that progress." He took the case study and set it on the table again. "Now that we understand each other better, let's make things a little more interesting."
Frankie weighed the pros and cons of giving up some of the control. "Okay, what do you suggest?" What else could she possibly lose?

Frankie has some big ideas and North might be the one person who truly gets her. I can't wait to write the rest of their story.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment