Sunday, January 28, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Not the First

Holy crap. Where did January go? It's crazy how fast months fly by now.

So, The Flash is testing my patience. Not in a necessarily bad way, but having Barry zoom around and put all the inmates back in their cells had me eye-rolling. We'll see how long they keep him trapped in a cell. I need to rewatch the second episode of Black Lightning because I had too many distractions the first time around.

Riverdale… Oh, show. The Ram? Really? I don't know. It's either the best nickname ever or possibly the lamest one on the planet. Time will tell. Everything else about the episode hit high notes for me. It's going to be a wild ride and I'm totally strapped in to see where everything goes. One interesting development… now that I have a better understanding of Mama Alice I now need to know what the hell flavor of fresh hell Hal's been drinking.

Arrow keeps throwing twisty-turns into the mix and I love it. I'm actually hoping Vigilante is an actual double agent. And here's my fondest desire… he's working for ARGUS in exchange for immunity against all the bad guys he killed. Just saying, having him around for a while wouldn't be a bad thing. Now, after saying that, he did tell James he knows how to push every one of Dinah's buttons and having him on her side would be a great big red one. I won't be too shocked if his help is nothing but a ruse. But I will be disappointed, dammit.

Still loving my period dramas. Murdoch Mysteries and Frankie Drake Mysteries. Frankie Drake is terrific with keeping interesting cases rolling across the screen. Murdoch Mysteries never fails to be consistent with quality. Love both of these shows.

I'm burning through season three of Chicago Fire and still loving the show. I'm also enjoying the crossover episodes they have with other productions. Nice to have those on the DVDs.

I think that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Not the First, a novella that began with the two-word prompt "very nice".

Here's the mini-blurb:

Katen Knox and Paul Macabes, pilots, soldiers, lovers, weigh in on opposite sides of a proposal to produce new planes while stationed in deep space. Not the first time they've been on different sides of an issue, they quickly learn it's hard to keep the professional drama out of their personal space.

And a sneaky peek…

Paul and Katan watched the first ghost fighter come off the assembly line.
Katan walked around the plane, running her hands over the sleek surface. "Nice. Very nice." She glanced up toward Paul.
He nodded, letting a grin spread across his face. "Hard to believe I watched you guys build one of these from spare parts and nothing." Katan's brilliance should never be questioned.
Katan snorted. "And bitched about it the entire time." She gave him a pointed look.
Paul shrugged. "Didn't think it could be done. You proved me wrong." And she'd loved every moment of doing so.
Katan flashed a smile. "Always a bonus." She propped a shoulder on the new plane and ran her fingers along the edge of the wing. "Lotta improvements to the new ones. We could do some serious damage out there." Excitement crept into her eyes.
Paul met her gaze. "Ready to start training nuggets?" She'd be the best at teaching the somewhat tricky controls.
Katan's face split in a wide smile. "Only if you're the first nugget I get to put through the wringer." She gave an evil little laugh.
Paul shook his head. "Sorry. That slot's taken. I'll be number two." He'd been waiting all week to deliver the news.
Katan frowned. "What do you mean? Who else would I train first?" Confused, she tilted her head to one side.
"That would be me."
Katan turned and barely kept her mouth from dropping open. "Sir? You sure you wanna do that? Won't be easy taking orders from me." And she wouldn't cut him any slack.
Paul had plenty of experience on that front.
Snell snorted. "It better not be." He climbed up and took a good look at the interior of the ship. "I expect to be trained and ready in forty-eight hours." He leveled his gaze on her.
Her breath whooshed out. "Well, in that case, you'd better get kitted up. Preflight briefing in thirty. Wheels up in sixty." She slid a sideways glance toward Paul, clearly informing him he'd pay later.
He honestly couldn't wait.

I have no idea where this one will end up. I'm kind of excited to see how the rest of the story plays out.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment