Sunday, July 15, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Sabotage

Whew. Crazy-busy week. I spent much of the past seven days brainstorming a new business idea with one of my closest friends. We're close to making a decision about moving forward or not. I'll keep everyone posted.

Not a bad week for television. Got in more Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Decent episodes but I'm always thrown by Batman not being Kevin Conroy. Ah, well. That's how it goes.

Got a couple episodes of Constantine in. I'll have one more to watch to finish up the season. Also caught the first episode of Lexx. I remember the original run but didn't get to watch everything from start to finish. Looking forward to seeing the entire story.

Watched another episode of The Coroner. It fits in well with my other mystery shows. Got two episodes of Midsomer Murders and Endeavor in. I'm caught up as far as I can be with Endeavor. Have to wait for season five to become available for binge-watching.

Watched a Hallmark movie, The Art of Us. I had the pleasure of editing the wonderful book from Tule Publishing. The movie turned out really well.

Caught my military shows with one episode each. Band of Brothers and Strike Back. Also followed up with an episode of Chicago Fire.

Sense 8 had another terrific episode. I'm always blown away with the seamlessness of the cluster interactions. I can't wait to watch more of this show. Started The Dresden Files with the first episode. I enjoyed this show when it originally aired. I'm up to episode seven of Canal Road and the twisty turns keep on coming. I'm very invested in seeing how the show plays out with regards to Spencer's wife's death.

I started a classic series in black and white called Medic. There are only twelve episodes available on the app, but I'll see how the second one is before deciding to continue or not.

Finally started the second season of The Sarah Conner Chronicles. I so wish there had been more of this show. Things really jelled in season two.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Sabotage, a novella that started with a prompt of writing a scene about sabotage. I loved it enough to title to manuscript the same.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Sapphire Naught and Gifford Fell are tasked with finding a saboteur and neither is allowed to fly until the culprit is apprehended. The cat and mouse game of tracking and luring their prey into a trap takes its toll on their relationship but ends up making them see new sides to each other.

And a sneaky peek…

Sapphire made a garbled choking sound. "What the hell are you talking about?" She straightened, almost ready to send her chair flying again. "We're not—"
Giff grabbed her arm. "Don't, Saph." Don't deny. Don't dig a deeper hole. Don't piss off Commander Berkley. "The correct answer here is we'll do whatever's needed to make the Hyperion safe." He squeezed her bicep.
Sapphire settled down, her head of steam spent. "Right. Giff's right. Whatever you need, Sir."
Satisfied, Berkley opened the file again. "Good. Moving on." He handed each another page. "I've outlined where I'd like you to start, with the deck crew since they have almost constant access to the planes. But… I'll consider other tactics if you have suggestions."
Giff glanced toward Sapphire and she lifted a shoulder. He didn't have to ask to know she'd have a couple of other names to add, too. The commander ran a tight ship, but he didn't catch all the negative feedback buzzing throughout the crew.
Giff met the man's gaze. "Can you give us forty-eight hours to go over the information? I think we'll need to add a few names to your list."
Sapphire agreed. "I can think of two already, Sir. And forty-eight hours gives us time to come up with a plan to eliminate the suspects." She paused. "You do want this to be covert surveillance, right?"
Berkley frowned. "Of course. You've got your time. I'll expect a briefing at 1400 hours the day after tomorrow." He stood up and came around to perch on the edge of the desk. "Whatever requisitions you need have to come through me. I don't even want the XO to know about this operation."
Giff gave a terse nod and Sapphire lifted her chin, acknowledging Berkley's order.
The commander rose. "Good. You're dismissed."

This one is so much fun to write. I'm excited to see how the rest of the story unfolds.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment