Sunday, February 17, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Wait No More

That raging upper respiratory ick from last week is still going strong. I'll be very happy to see the end of this one. But… it made for a good week of television. And my daughter's seventeenth birthday ended up being pretty great.

I started the second episode of Endeavour's fifth season. I truly love this show and I'm enjoying the guest stars also. Caught another episode of The Sarah Conner Chronicles too. I seriously miss that show.

I went ahead and watched the first episode of Roswell, New Mexico. I'm intrigued and it should be fun to watch the reboot and the classic show at the same time. I hope.

Caught a few episodes of Classic Who this week while catching up on dishes and laundry. Also got to watch another episode of Birds of Prey. It's back on the CW Seed app.

I'm almost done with the first season of Pensacola Wings of Gold. I'll probably watch the first few eps of season two and decide from there if I'm going to continue. Caught another episode of Lexx, too.

Watched Gotham's second episode and, man, this show. It really found its footing and embraced the crazy. I'm going to miss it a lot.

Finished the week out with Strike Back and Chicago Fire. Gracie is fast becoming a favorite of mine. She's an amazing character. Also really great to see some character bonding on Chicago Fire.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Wait No More, a novella set in Queen City Mars universe with a tie-in to Furlough 99.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Zoey Blythe pushes Cash Mateson out of her life when she sees how much good he can do as an elected official. Ten years later, their paths cross again and Zoey realizes she should have fought a little harder to stay by Cash's side. Heading up the security detail for Cash's campaign, Zoey feels the spark again, but marriages and careers are on the line, even if she doesn't want to wait anymore.

And a sneaky peek…

Zoey Blythe entered the venue for the political rally and glanced around. Hot guy alert, twelve o'clock. She'd ask him where to find the person heading up this so-called debate between Queen City's two mayoral candidates.
Politics. Definitely not her top choice for a first assignment. Bleh.
She tucked her cover, still bright and shiny, under her arm and crossed the floor, dodging workers that were setting up chairs, and made her way to the incredibly handsome guy. "Excuse me, can I ask a quick question?"  He finished his conversation then turned to face her.
Whoa, boy. Seriously blue eyes gave her a brief once-over. She'd love to see if they changed color during sex.
Stop it, Zoey. You're here to work. Get your head on straight.
He gave her a quick smile. "Hi, can I help you with something?" His voice rumbled from his chest.
Zoey resisted the urge to fan her face and got down to business. "Yeah, I'm looking for a Cash Mateson." The campaign coordinator for one of the hopefuls.
What a boring job. Maybe as dull as working security detail.
The man's smile went lopsided. "It's Ma-te-son." He met her gaze and held it.
I could stare at him for days.
Zoey blinked. "What?" She really needed to stop daydreaming about this guy.
He chuckled. "The name. It's Ma-te-son, not Mate-son." He made the correction with affable grace, like he probably had to often.
Slightly embarrassed, Zoey shrugged. "Oh, um, whatever. I'm Constable Zoey Blythe, here to check in before I start my shift checking badges for the evening's debate." Maybe if she did a decent job, she'd get moved to a more exciting post.
The guy's smile grew wide again. "You're new, right?" He motioned for her to walk with him in the direction of a long table with clipboards littered across the top.
Zoey liked his casual informality. "Gold star for you. Graduated the ISP academy a week ago and got stuck with the shit job right out of the gate." Although, meeting him didn't suck.
He lifted a brow. "Not interested in politics?" He snagged a clipboard and glanced at the list of names on the top page.
Zoey wrinkled her nose. "Hell, no. When I want backstabbing drama, I head down to the wharf and find all I need. Out in the open all nice and neat." She leaned in and lowered her voice. "You can also tell who the good guys and bad guys are without a playlist." Hoping she didn't go too far with the observation, she waited for his reaction.
Her handsome new friend snorted. "Okay, you've got a valid point, there." He checked her name off on the clipboard and thrust his hand forward. "By the way, Cash Mateson. It's good—and refreshing—to meet you."
Zoey shook her head. "Aw, damn. Where's the magic hole that opens up in the floor when I need one." She grasped his palm, giving it a firm shake. "I hope refreshing isn't a code word for 'how soon can I transfer this constable out of here'."

I'm having a lot of fun with this one. I love the challenge of writing a story about people who find their way back to each other.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment