Sunday, November 10, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Boxing Day

Whew. This week flew right by. We're still waiting on our new furnace, which I should have by my next post. My workload is bananas right now and I didn't get a chance to watch much television due to deadlines. It's also been a busy week with my daughter's golf banquet and awards ceremony and state band competition.

I started a new episode of Blue Heelers but stopped midway through so I need to finish it up this week.

I started out with Midsomer Murders and watched the first episode of the final series. The new coroner is kind of fun and recognizable from a Doctor Who episode, at least that's where I remember her from.

I'm limping through the Riverdale musical episode "Big Fun". I keep stopping the action because I don't want to miss anything. I can honestly say I'm impressed with the way this episode is put together. I love how many of the group is involved in the musical. The only thing I'm not a fan of is how much screen time Eleanor is sucking up. I realize there's a reason for it but she's right up there with Hiram in the characters I love to hate department. I do think I'll have time to finish up later tonight or early tomorrow. Then it's off to the new season of Arrow, where I'll probably weep through every episode.

I caught a few holiday movies in the background during the workday and also ended up catching a bunch of Blue Bloods episodes.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Boxing Day, a sexy short that started with a writing community prompt that suggested creating a story that seems to go in one direction but ends up not being what readers will think it is. I love challenges like that.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Aeryn Gray packs up the personal belongings of Nash Nitali and spies a pair of boxing gloves. The sight takes her back through their weird brand of courtship and she takes some time to reminisce about their long, tangled affair.

And a sneaky peek…

Aeryn chuckled and pulled her hand out of the glove. "Not the best start but, man, did it set the tone for everything that followed." The ebb and flow of their relationship had an up and down pattern that rarely stayed smooth.
Or got boring.
Pushing the gloves inside the box, she picked up a wrist band, running her fingers over the engraved name, Joseph Malone. "Geez. I can't believe he kept this." Nash's mentor and pretty much the only father figure he'd had.
Joe taught Nash everything he knew about boxing and Aeryn got to see both in action. Nash went toe-to-toe with the old man… until he didn't.
Joe stopped moving, putting his gloved hands on his hips. "Quit pulling your punches, Nash. What the hell?" He jabbed Nash in the shoulder.
Nash opened his mouth but Joe gave him the stink eye.
Nash's shoulders slumped. "I'm not really pulling them, just taking it a little easier than usual."
Aeryn winced. Way to go, Nash. That'll go over well.
Joe growled. "Do I look like I need you to go easy?" His eyebrow arched, daring Nash to say otherwise.
Nash's head snapped up. "Didn't say you did. Maybe I'm going easier because I've had a tough week."
Aeryn rolled her eyes. While true, Malone wouldn't consider it a valid excuse.
Joe punched Nash's bicep. "Get your damn head in the bout or get out of the ring." He got into a fighting stance.
Nash blew out a hard breath and bent his elbows, matching Joe's crouch. "Fine. Let's go." He started shuffling his feet and moving into a wide arc.
Nash did as requested and got his head into the match. Two rounds later, he landed a jab that sent the old man down, knocking him out. Aeryn had the smelling salts ready and Joe jerked, coming to with a grin on his face.
He sat up. "'Bout damn time you beat me." He stuck out a hand and Nash helped him stand. "Nice round, Nasher." He slapped Nash's back with his glove.
Nash lifted his chin. "You okay?" To his credit, he didn't show overt concern.
Malone laughed and shot Aeryn a sideways glance. "He asks if I'm okay. How do I look, lieutenant?" He swiped at the sweat dotting his forehead.
Aeryn snorted. "You look like an old man with a solid need to keep his young protégé in check." Her lips curved in a smirk.
Joe guffawed. "Damn, Nash. You weren't kidding about that smart mouth of hers." He tossed a glove off and thrust his hand forward. "I like you, lieutenant. You're all right."
Aeryn clasped his palm and gave him a firm shake. "A high compliment, sir. It's nice to meet you." She settled back down on the bench to wait for the guys to get a shower.
Nash owed her dinner since he'd won the bout.
And she had a hankering for steak.

I enjoy trying new things and playing with the mood of a story. Not everyone is a fan of flashback tales, but this one begged for a small twist on that trope.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment