Sunday, December 29, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Clubbing on Space Station Delta

Welcome to the last post of 2019. I hope everyone had a terrific holiday or the best they could have given the trash fire that has turned into a raging wildfire of possible corruption and back-channel maneuvering in the RWA. I'm not a member of the organization but I stand with marginalized authors. Period. Full stop.

I believe I made it through the mild case of the flu. I'm still a little stuffed up and achy, but otherwise doing well. I caught some decent television time also.

I watched an episode of Riverdale and thoroughly enjoyed it. Once again, the play on theme of the episode title worked so well. I'm sad because it's almost the end of the season and that means no more Luke Perry soon.

I finished Dirty Sexy Saint and ended up really liking it. I also caught the new Quickie, The Naughty List and loved that also.

Caught another episode of Murdoch Mysteries and enjoyed the different approach. The episode played out almost like a dinner theater murder mystery and I'm totally there for that.

Frankie Drake also had a different style of episode and I loved it. The cold opening had me wondering for a few moments if we'd lost a major cast member. Well done.

Watched an episode of Midsomer Murders and, weirdly, it reminded me of Doctor Who if only because two of the actresses in this episode guest-starred on the series. I've been watching some of the marathon leading up to the New Year's premiere of the new season.

I'm finishing out the week with a full arc of Sapphire and Steel. I started season three and since there's only one assignment for this season, I'll have it finished up later today.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Clubbing on Space Station Delta, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Macie Gunn discovers a very different side to Nix Handleman, her commanding officer, when they get some downtime on Space Station Delta. Macie likes what she sees, but wonders if Nix will keep the stick out of his ass once they return back to duty.

And a sneaky peek…

Nix has had the stick up his ass for too many years.
Nix replayed Macie's offhand comment over and over in his mind. He didn't mean to eavesdrop on her conversation with Jenna, but it had been hard to avoid. Once the briefing room emptied out, voices carried.
He shook his head. "I don't have a stick up my ass." Then again, he didn't exactly burn through good times like he once used to.
Not since his best friend Eick Nambi died because of a stupid barroom brawl.
Maybe that should change. Eick's death had been eight years ago. Nix advanced up the ranks and made captain.
He snorted. "By working my ass off, not by shoving a stick up it." Cutting through the mess hall, he stopped outside his office.
Macie's observation stung more than he wanted to admit. He liked her, the newest member to his squadron. She'd transferred in almost six months ago.
Keying in the entry code, he nudged the hatch open with his shoulder. "I should get to know her better." A matter of pride… especially now.
Not like he didn't have the general basics down. Her remarkable skill in the cockpit put her ahead of some of his seasoned crewmen. And she believed in working as a team, sharing glory and accolades. Vivacious, witty, and gorgeous, she didn't let the beauty go to her head.
Hooking up with her wouldn't be a hardship and the relaxed regulations no longer made fraternization a forbidden taboo.
Nix huffed out a breath. "Discretion is crucial though." Which could be a problem.
Because… Macie loved scuttlebutt. She enjoyed nailing her fellow pilots with embarrassing information and drawing attention to them. And she rarely missed an opportunity to offer an opinion on the latest and greatest fodder from the rumor gristmill.
Even if Nix wanted to pursue something more with Macie—and he didn't right now—he wouldn't trust her to keep her big yap shut.
Leaning back in his chair, he tapped his pen on the desk. "Doesn't mean I can't shake up her perception a little." And prove he most definitely did not have a stick up his ass.

This story is so much fun! I love writing characters who have to move past preconceived notions. Macie is in for a big surprise.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment