Sunday, February 14, 2021

Sunday Snippet: The Lottery

Happy Valentine's to those who celebrate. We're supposed to get blasted with more snow but I definitely won't gripe about it because I have family and friends in Texas that will no doubt have it so much worse.

Semi-busy week again with a new work project. Things are picking up a little and I'm grateful and happy to have work still coming in.

I started a new episode of Blue Heelers and have a feeling it's going to be an interesting one. I love getting slice of life glimpses into the town and how it operates.

I finished up the first part of Silent Witness's last two episodes of season eight. I'll be starting the second part this week. Then it's off to season nine.

Caught another episode of No Offence and I'm still liking the show. I'm not a big comedy fan, which is probably evident in my weekly recaps, but I will give dramedies a shot. Glad I stuck with this one.

New seasons are starting of show I normally watch but I'm so far behind. I haven't been in the mood or the right headspace to really absorb some of them. Maybe I'll get there during the blizzard that's supposed to be headed our way.

I also caught my usual fare of mystery shows this week, but that's pretty much it for television. Tonight's post is from The Lottery, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A devastating illness tears through a space colony and repopulation is paramount for continued survival. Veronica Fine and Garrett Delroy think they'll be exempt from the lottery which will match up prime candidates for procreation, but word comes down all members of the colony have to participate, even members of the military. When they're matched up, both suspect some behind the scenes maneuvering from the planetary leader.

And a sneaky peek…

Veronica nodded. "Damn straight. And that opens up a barrage of other issues. Who's going to babysit? Shit, parent, whatever? Neither of us has plans to muster out. What do we do with a kid?" Geez, her brain spun with questions.

Michael held up a hand. "Valid concerns, but I'm not the man with the answers here." His frown said more than his words.

Of course not. Only one person had the master plan. Veronica narrowed her eyes, wondering if the commandant and the chancellor's personal lives would end up in the deep freeze because of this lame idea.

Garrett pushed back at his dad. "What about the logistics? Did the chancellor give any thought to those? How do we maintain a duty roster when officers are tied up either trying to create life or care for it once it arrives?" He paced back and forth.

Again, Michael shook his head. "Look, I don't disagree. Why don't you two go straight to the source of concern for answers?" One side of his mouth twisted.

Veronica no longer wondered if things had cooled between the commandant and the chancellor anymore. They had. No doubt about it.

Veronica snorted. "Wanna bet she won't have time to see us before we're supposed to report to the GCB?" And wouldn't that put another wrinkle on top everything.

Garrett growled. "Screw that. I don't think she checked the charter articles before she issued those orders. Unless we're at war, she can't make us report anywhere with only twenty-fours' notice." He stopped walking and almost started on another tirade.

Michael stepped in. "She'll see you. I'll make sure of it." The low snarl in his tone indicated he wouldn't take no for an answer.

Veronica slid Garrett a sideways glance. They might not accomplish anything by listing their grievances with the chancellor. But they had to try, right?

Garrett nodded. "Thanks, Dad. Can't really ask for more."

Veronica hoped to lighten the mood. "Well, we could … but we won't." She sent the commandant a wobbly smile.

Michael pushed away from the desk. "I haven't said it yet, but I'm happy for you two." He came around and put an arm around each of them.

Veronica appreciated the gesture. Their change in status came at a weird and chaotic time. The old man's acceptance meant a lot.

Garrett and Veronica accepted the congratulations but Veronica hoped their relationship wouldn't become a casualty of the population mandate.

We can survive this, right?

I'm having a lot of fun with the premise of this story. I like having a couple who pretty much just discovered they want to make a go of things then have a huge curveball thrown at them.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment