Sunday, May 30, 2021

Sunday Snippet: No Loss of Life

I hope everyone who has a long weekend gets to enjoy the time off. We're continuing to be low-key and not really doing much more than our usual food fest of pizza, burgers, brats, and sides. I've been trying to balance cleaning and sorting with writing and editing work.

Had a really solid week of television viewing. I started out with Peak Practice. I had to skip an episode because it's not available for streaming.

Caught another Master Class lesson about graphic design. This one featured using photography in design. Got a few great ideas to maybe use for covers and marketing material.

Ended up watching a full episode of Blue Heelers and started another. The tension and conflict seems to be amping up and I'm not sure I really like it. It's gone a little into soap territory, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's not what I expected.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina pulled a fast one and made me shift my opinion a little on Zelda. This is a good thing. I really didn't like her at all until she chose Sabrina and Hilda over the high priest. I kind of hope he dies in a fire. I'm also not loving the teacher. Again, it might be residual Doctor Who dislike bleeding over.

Caught an episode of the Ready Room. I like Wil's enthusiasm and he asks some great questions. Looking forward to the recap of episode three.

Watched a couple of Passionflix originals. A holiday Quickie, The Merry Mistake, entertained with a mistaken identity vibe. That finished up the holiday fare from this past year. I also got to watch the premiere of Wicked and thoroughly enjoyed! I'm looking forward to more paranormal romance adaptations.

Got another episode of Chicago Med in. This one ended up being a good viewing with lots going on but fairly equal storylines.

Caught the opener of the third season of No Offence. Man. A gut-wrenching episode. I love, love, love Dinah and Spike's friendship. I have a sneaky suspicion he'll be moving up and forming the third point of the trio now. I'm okay with that.

Finished up the tenth season of Silent Witness and should start series eleven this week. This is an episode I remembered watching but I'd forgotten how it played out. Ended up really loving it.

Started the sixteenth season of Classic Who. New companion, new K-9, new multiple arcs with a single thread. I think I'll like through line with four-part arcs.

Last but not least, I caught another episode of UFOs: The Lost Evidence. This one had a focus on police files. Pretty interesting.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from No Loss of Life, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Brigit Hardy is an anti-government revolutionary who kicks the system in the teeth to incite change. Vlad Octavius is the government agent who has to bring her to heel. There's only one problem—Vlad hates what she does, but can't disagree with her reasons.

And a sneaky peek…

Brigit Hardy skimmed through the latest reports from her main man on the ground. "Are these numbers accurate, Augie?" If so, twelve hundred families were being made homeless.

Augie Buchanan gave a nod. "Based on residency in the Greenwall Arms, yes." He sank down into the chair across from her.

She tossed his reports across the room. "Dammit! That's an increase of ten percent over the last six months." They were all being displaced from a block of tenant general housing.

Augie grunted. "You know development is the priority. Over the good of the people and the will of the people." He kicked his feet out and dropped his head to the back of the cushion.

White hot rage filled her. "We're not going to take this anymore. Not quietly." She paced in front of Augie. "Put the word out. Assembly meeting tonight." She paused a moment. "I'm going to make a speech to launch a new initiative." And make plans to ram the needs and wants of the people down the throats of the government.

Augie sat up and put his forearms on his knees. "Had a feeling might want to have a gathering." He met her gaze. "Probably not the best time to have you meet a newbie to the underground then, is it?" His shoulders slumped.

Brigit cocked her head. This is important to him. She didn't have siblings and Augie filled the role of a brother not to mention best friend. He'd never failed her and she didn't want to let him down.

She moved to sit across from him. "Why do want me to meet him?" She could take five minutes before her speech.

Augie shrugged. "He's got some good ideas." His lips quirked. "But he's green. Like I was when you took me under your wing."

Brigit chuckle-snorted. More like he stuck to her side so she didn't trip over him. And she wouldn't change a thing.

Now he had someone to bring along for the ride.

She grinned. "And you're picking up the torch? That's awesome, Augie. I'm proud of you." She fist-bumped his knee. "Bring him tonight and introduce me." Their movement could always use good ideas.

Not sure Brigit is going to be so thrilled once she actually meets the guy Augie wants to introduce but that's what makes the story fun!


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment