Sunday, June 13, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Not the First

You know, it's been a week. I don't which planet is in retrograde right now but it's effing everything up. LOL My washer died and the delivery of the new one has been moved three times. I might get it Tuesday but I'm not holding my breath. The husband had a deer smash into his vehicle and it's a probably a loss. My daughter's car is having issues. I'm kind of scared to even walk outside in case the sky falls or something else weird.

All that said … I'm not really complaining. It's just a lot of bizarre, inconvenient stuff hitting all at once and I'm kind of scratching my head and wondering how soon the universe will right itself. LOL

Had a great work week and got some solid television viewing in. I started out UFOs: The Lost Evidence. This episode focused on abductions and I always find those stories fascinating.

With the new season of Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries premiering this week, I caught the behind the scenes special from season one. Lots of fun information and interviews.

Watched another episode of The Muppet Show. The guest was Steve Martin and he had fun with his appearance.

Caught another episode of The Hardy Boys. The mystery is getting deeper and I'm thoroughly enjoying the way everything is coming together. I love the group of friends and how they're completely in on the whole deal now.

I enjoyed another segment of Master Class. David talked about developing logos and I got some good information from him. I have a few tweaks to make to a couple of logos I've put together for book series.

Caught another episode of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I'm getting a little more invested in the characters and I'm interested in where everything goes. I love Hilda's new job!

Peak Practice had a good episode. It took me a while to get into the storyline but I liked how the show played out. It seemed like it was going to go in a tragic direction but ended up not going that route.

Started a new to me show with Street Legal, which is a spinoff of an eighties original. I loved the premiere episode and think I'll end up liking this one.

Caught another episode of the Ready Room, recapping episode four of Picard. Wil is a lot of fun when he's interviewing the actors and I loved the behind the scene special effects segment.

Started an episode of Chicago Med and, so far, I'm enjoying it. The surgeon character is such an ass he's fun to watch. Another aptly titled episode with choices as the theme.

Last but not least … Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries premiered!! I've been so excited for a second season and I'm so happy I had two episodes to watch. This show is so much fun and it took a direction I didn't expect but I'm totally there for. Peregrine isn't a carbon copy of Phryne and that thrills me. I have so much love for the sixties vibe, too. Not sure why that era fascinates me so much but I'm almost always down to watch things set during that decade. And I'm over the moon I'll have another episode to watch soon!

That's pretty much it for this week's update. Tonight's post is from Not the First, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Katen Knox and Paul Macabes, pilots, soldiers, lovers, weigh in on opposite sides of a proposal to produce new planes while stationed in deep space. Not the first time they've been on different sides of an issue, they quickly learn it's hard to keep the professional drama out of their personal space.

And a sneaky peek…

"Are you insane?"

Katen Knox glanced over her shoulder. "You're not the first to suggest I might be." Her lips quirked at the sight of her fellow pilot, Paul Macabes, sprawled in her bunk with a sheet barely covering his groin.

Paul tilted his head sideways. "You'll never get a project like that up and running." He shook his head. "No way."

Katen smiled. "Your lack of confidence is so predictable." She tugged the rough mock-up from the wall. "I'm absolutely positive we can pull this off." Rolling the sketch up, she tucked it into her desk. "We have to do something. Maybe this works, maybe it doesn't, but we're down by thirty percent capacity and if we drop much lower, we'll lose the progress we've made." Mapping and defending the mineral-rich asteroid belt took top priority … until they needed equipment and supplies.

Paul rolled a shoulder. "What happens if your big plan isn't feasible? We'll be down even more." He shook his head again. "Between skirmishes with the Lobos and damage incurred during the mapping, we've got finite numbers we can use."

Katen made her way back to the bunk and crawled up beside him. "How about you let me worry about making it happen and you just sit back and look pretty?" She skimmed her hand along his thigh.

Paul laughed. "You're already planning to run this up the chain of command during our briefing later, aren't you?" He hooked his hands under her shoulders and moved her up to straddle his lap.

Katen nodded. "I am. We'll see how much faith the admiral has in me." She twined her arms around his neck.

Paul leaned in close. "I can't wait to hear your pitch." His mouth hovered over hers.

Katen went in for the kiss. "You'll be duly impressed, I'm sure." She didn't give him time to reply, meshing their lips together again.

Paul would take counterpoint to her point. He usually did. But she liked the challenge of proving him wrong. Running the idea by Paul. Then decided to take it to the briefing because he said it couldn't be done. When he threw down a challenge like that, she couldn't pass it up.

Just like she couldn't pass up being with him right now.

I'm hoping to really nail the story down on this one in the near future. So far the sages are giving me random scenes and they're not in order. Not so fun.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment