Sunday, May 8, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Wasted Credits (a Furlough 99 novella)

What a crazy week of weather. We had rain, rain, rain, which is probably great for the gardens—as long as the plants are hardy. We also had some close to freezing temps in the wee hours of the morning.

Another super-busy work week. Started a few new projects and I'm humming along on some others. I like having a variety of work and I definitely have that right now.

Another slower week for television. I got started again on doing some clearing out and sorting of stuff I've put off way too long. The good news is I've discovered a ton of missing socks, which makes me very happy.

I watched the second episode of Harrow's third season. So far, I really, really dislike the new boss. But … I kind of love the dynamic between Harrow and Fairley. Discovering Grace is married is something I'm on the fence with, but we'll see what happens there.

Caught another episode of Blue Heelers. I'm a little disappointed to find out I won't be able to watch the bulk of the series now. It seems to have been removed from the streaming service I've been watching it on. Maybe it'll pop back up again. I still have the season to finish then I'll see what happens.

Enjoyed another lesson of MasterClass with Neil deGrasse Tyson. This one talked about systems of beliefs.

Finished up Young Wallander: Killer's Shadow and it did not disappoint. I hope there's another season of this show.

Watched two episodes of Classic Rugrats. I enjoy having this show on in the background when I'm reading emails.

Caught an episode of Chicago Med and, wow, I'm starting to wonder a little if this is Conor's last season. Things seem to be ramping up quickly.

Enjoyed another episode of The Snoopy Show. This one had a bunch of spring-like vignettes.

Watched another episode of Loch Ness and there didn't seem to be a lot of forward momentum on the case, but little revelations popped up and into the storyline. I'm excited for the next episode.

Finished up the second part of Silent Witness. I'm kind of happy Thomas didn't do something sketchy with the information he had on the ex's new boyfriend. Even though she pretty much deserves anything he hands out. She's a piece of work.

Managed to finish an arc of Classic Who. I'll be starting a new one this week. I'm still on the fence with Mel as a companion. She does a lot of screaming.

Also watched the last episode of The Laundry Guy. I actually hope he does another round of episodes. I thoroughly enjoyed the six available.

Watched the Marvel Assembled: The Making of Hawkeye. Honestly, I really loved the first season and I'm kind of hoping there will be another, even if it's primarily Clint-free. Some great groundwork is out there if they continue this.

Started a new episode of The Hardy Boys. I love the mystery of this season and I can't wait to finish this episode.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Wasted Credits, a novella set in the Furlough 99 universe and featuring some action on the mining colony.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Valora Prime can't figure out why a smart, attractive man like Hackett Barnes pays for sex. When she corners him to find the answer, his response catches her off guard and she has to make a quick decision. Let him in or let him go.

And a sneaky peek…

Her gaze didn't waver. Hackett stood before her, loosely holding her captive. Weirdly, she didn't want to be anywhere else. Something of a first for her.

Clearing her throat, she wet her lower lip. "So … it's all right in the open. Practically a standing invitation, right?" Putting herself out there scared the hell out of her.

How he responded would dictate everything from this point forward.

Hackett let go of her chin. "Can you accept it? The idea of this possibility without regret?"

She countered with her own question. "Can you? I'm not the one who thinks twelve steps ahead." Damn … that sounded terrible and not at all what she meant.

Hackett's lips curved in a half-smile. "Exactly my point." He leaned in, his mouth hovering close to hers. "I've thought this through every which way and back again."

Her breathing went shallow. "And what did you conclude?" When did his voice get all sexy and raspy?

He eased back, giving her space. "You're not wrong … but neither am I. So … I have a proposition for you." Stepping away, he moved to the seating unit and sat down.

Valora eyed him warily. "What did you have in mind?" Oddly, the room temperature grew warmer even though he sat five feet away from her.

Hackett waited one heartbeat. "One week. You and me. Right here on Furlough."

Her mind blanked. Did he actually suggest they spend seven days together on the space station? Why didn't the idea make her want to run? Because curiosity would be the end of her.

Yet … her brain shied away from the thought of spending that much intimate time with him. Because he did mean something to her.

Needing a moment, she hedged. "Did I hear you correctly? You want me to spend a week on Furlough with you?"

He gave her a bland look. "Your hearing is fine. What's the answer?"

She huffed out a breath. Shit. She had no idea how to respond.

So, she asked the only thing she could think of. "Why?"

I'm very happy with how this one is coming together. I love revisiting the Furlough space station and adding in a little more detail about the mining colony.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment