Sunday, June 18, 2023

Sunday Snippet: First Time Ever Laid Eyes on You

Happy Father's Day to the dads out there, including fur dads and mentors. We've got beautiful weather after a very soggy week.

My work projects are bringing me so much joy right now. The books are so amazing! Also heard from one of my authors on two new stories he's got percolating right now. And I got a text message from one of my current authors that completely made my weekend. So … work is awesome right now.

Had a very good viewing week. I ended up doubling up on a couple of shows because the mood struck.

Ended up catching two episodes of the Brokenwood Mysteries. Both were pretty great. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting another one of Mike's ex-wives. And my heart kind of broke for him by the end of that episode. I'll probably finish out season nine this week.

Finished the complete run of available Classic Who episodes. Have to say in retrospect, it's weird how there have been seven doctors and only one master. That said, I'm actually kind of happy with how Seven's tenure ended. Not sure if I'll watch the movie with Eight or just skip over to New Who. It might be a few weeks before I start that.

Caught the second part of Silent Witness. This two-parter ended up being very twisty and I liked it. Looking forward to starting a new one this week.

Watched two episodes of Death in Paradise. I'm enjoying watching from the beginning in chronological order. It's nice to see how the original group came together.

Enjoyed the penultimate episode of Only Murders in the Building. What a cool twist or three. Can't wait to watch the finale this week.

Caught another episode of Classic Rugrats. This is my nostalgia show. I have so many great memories of watching this when my kiddos were little.

Watched an episode of Peak Practice. Joanna breaks my heart sometimes. And we're nearing the end of season nine when things don't go so well for her.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with a double-header of "Home Part I and II." These are two of my favorite episodes of season two. The fleet is brought back together, and the acting is stellar.

Enjoyed another episode of Madame Blanc Mysteries. Very interesting development at the end. I have a feeling I'll either love or hate the twist.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from First Time Ever Laid Eyes on You, a novella that brings two polar opposites together.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nadia Blunt takes one look at Bart Uppermark and decides they'll make a great team in the air and on the ground. But when Bart shows zero interest in working together—she takes too many risks for his comfort zone—Nadia pulls out all the stops and proves him wrong.

And a sneaky peek…

Bart stood toe-to-toe with Nadia. "I haven't dismissed you yet, lieutenant." She didn't get to leave just yet.

No matter how pissed off she might be.

Nadia snapped to attention but remained silent. Rigid shoulders. Back ramrod straight. All taut anger and coiled tension.

What a woman! Just a little on the insane side, but the best natural pilot I've ever flown with.

And he wanted her. The unbidden idea popped into his brain and took up residence. Wanting her as his wingman oddly became almost an afterthought.

Bart made a slow circle around Nadia, trying to formulate a response to her outburst. "Am I to understand you're taking yourself out of contention to be reassigned with me?" He wouldn't stand for that at all.

She kept her eyes straight ahead. "Fairly sure I made myself clear … sir." She all but spit the sign of respect for his higher rank out.

Bart bit the inside of his cheek. Her smart mouth amused the hell out of him. Which shouldn't happen but he enjoyed her open candor.

He came to a stop in front of her. "I see." He sighed. "Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me." He couldn't accept her decision.

Her gaze shifted, finally landing on him. "Excuse me? Why the hell not?" She shook her head. "You were out there with me. I sucked. Worst I've flown in well … ever." She glanced away then back again, refusing to do anything but own her horrible test flight.

He cracked a smile. "And yet, you're still the best pilot I've flown with in…" He twisted her words back on her. "Well … ever." Including Mallet who'd been a kick-ass pilot.

She blinked. "I'm sorry. What?" She shook her head, clearly confused.

He pointed to the chair at the desk. "You heard me. At ease, Lieutenant. We've got some issues to work through here." He moved around the desk and sat down.

This story is finally coming together, and I hope to have it ready to launch soon!


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment