Sunday, August 13, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Hard Call

I sometimes wonder if time is speeding up. The week flew by. Then again, I have multiple work projects going right now and they're all at different stages.

Had a decent week of television viewing. Not quite as heavy as last week but I got through a full round of my current shows.

Actually started and ended the week with Classic Rugrats. I'm currently watching season five and it's weirdly missing Susie Carmichael. Maybe there's more of her in the later episodes.

Finished up the second season of Madame Blanc Mysteries. Ended up fairly pleased with the resolution of Jean's stalker. Very glad and hopeful we don't have to see more of her.

Caught another episode of Cannes Confidential. I seriously love this show. The cast is amazing and the chemistry with all of them is terrific. I have a very sneaky suspicion one of the main characters is going to be a bad guy and I'm actually kind of here for that if it happens.

Watched another episode of Peak Practice. I have two left in season nine and it's going to be kind of heartbreaking because I know what's coming. Also, Andrew is seriously annoying right now and I'm not sure if he'll improve or not.

Continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with "Scar." This is another one of my favorite episodes even if, like "Black Market," there are some big flaws with development for later episodes. One of the best conversations of the entire series is in this episode.

Finished up a two-part Silent Witness. The culprit was indeed one of two characters I thought it might be. Such a great episode.

Started season two of Death in Paradise. Good opening episode with some familiar faces in the guest stars. I love catching my favorite actors in other roles.

Enjoyed an episode of Fantasy Island. So cool to kind of see how Elena assumed the role of host. I'm very curious about Ruby's mystery woman. I have a theory about her and I hope we get some answers before the end of the season.

Finished up season two of Strangest Things. I'd be interested in more episodes, but I won't hold my breath. The combination of Discovery and HBO Max is the stupidest thing ever and I'm honestly not sure I'll even continue trying to find show I want to watch.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Hard Call, a novella that sees one half of a couple put the other half in a precarious situation.

Here's the miniblurb:

Wiccam Kidder commands a space cruiser and wears the mantle of command with reluctance. When he makes a hard call and orders Valor Glynne to what may be a certain death, he wants to give up the burden and walk away. But Valor returns and Wic is faced with knowing she'll follow wherever he leads.

And a sneaky peek…

One level from the bottom Majah stopped. "This is as far as you go." She held up a hand to block Valor's path.

What the hell? She's wasting valuable and precious seconds.

Valor frowned. "We don't have time for this. Get moving!" She shouldn't be ordering her superior officer around.

Majah planted her hands on her hips. "We're making time. I'm ordering you to head back. You've got time to get clear." She gave Valor a dead-eyed stare.

Valor's mouth dropped open. "No way. This is a two-person job. We can't fail." Too much rode on the outcome of blowing this damned place to nothingness.

Namely giving the two most important people in her life an edge.

Majah dropped her pack to the floor. "We won't." She retrieved a spear gun and shot a dart into the wall then hooked a D-ring onto the rope. "I've got this." She carefully removed the protective covering from the explosive device, which had been covered with a framework of netting.

Valor blinked, the sheer genius of the solution kicking a measure of respect for her XO into gear.

But something didn't smell right.

Valor cocked her head. "Why didn't you mention this brilliant maneuver during the planning?" They'd run through a ton of simulations.

Majah's shoulders tensed for a moment but then she shrugged. "Only figured it out last night." Her tone all but dared Valor not to let the excuse slide.

Valor wanted to call bullshit but something in Majah's gaze—a desperate determination—stopped Valor.

Instead, she straightened. "Why?" She needed to understand.

Even though the clock ticked and burned through those precious seconds.

Majah squared her shoulders and met Valor's gaze head-on. "Because I lost a piece of myself here. They broke me, and planning this op made me realize I can't go back." She looked away. "I'm done. I can't live one more day constantly fighting to be the me I used to be." Her eyes closed for a moment then opened, clear and determined.

Valor couldn't find words to argue or counter the XO's clearly thought-out decision.

Majah shot another dart into the bulkhead beside Valor. "Go. Now." Keying in the launch code, Majah climbed on top of the crate and slowly hefted the explosive device into position. "I can get the rest from here." She started lowering the bomb down to the last level.

Valor opened her mouth, but Majah arched her brows and Valor gave a brief, terse nod instead.

Snapping to attention, she saluted. "Godspeed, sir."

Valor took one last look at her superior officer then turned and booked it up five levels, using minimal-range comms to radio ahead to the scout transport for a pickup. Her brain spun with Majah's revelations, but she couldn't take the time to unpack any of it right now. She dashed aboard the small ship and waited until they cleared the detonation zone. Twenty seconds later, she verified the explosion before radioing back to the ship. "Hathaway actual, scout two. Target removal confirmed." Cheers broke out on the other end of the comm.

She broke protocol by making the call. It should've come from ECO. But she wanted the Kidder men to know she'd survived.

Thanks to the sacrifice of a very troubled officer. Valor's gut clenched with the knowledge Majah shared. Valor finally understood the former XO a lot better now.

Unfortunately … a little too late.

I have a lot of love for this story. Writing this scene ended up being so much harder than I thought it would be, but I'm very happy with how it came together.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment