Sunday, September 10, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Hedging Bets

Ohio had record high temperatures this past week, but the weekend has brought some fall-like weather. I'm looking forward to seeing the leaves change even if it seems like the colors are less vibrant than they used to be.

Juggled several work projects and I'm in the final stages of two and starting a couple of small new ones. I'm liking the mix of things I'm currently working on. It's fun to stretch my wings sometimes.

Had a solid week of viewing, which seems weird because I did have a lot of work stuff to get done.

I started a new to me series with Agatha Raisin and thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes. I think I'm going to like this one!

I finished up season two of Suspects and, wow, the last episode kind of packed a punch. I'll have to wait to see if more episodes become available on the streamer I use. I'm not quite ready to sign up for yet another one to see the remaining seasons.

Caught the first episode of Peak Practice season ten. Also started the second episode but got a little distracted. I might end up skipping a few because I really don't care about Andrew and his affair.

Watched a Silent Witness two-parter that dived into the Troubles and thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns.

Forgot to include Battlestar Galactica in last week's recap. Watched "Captain's Hand," which is one of my favorite episodes. This week we watched "Downloaded," which is kind of the beginning of the end to a promising series. With twenty years of hindsight, I can honestly say I didn't need or want to know that much about the cylons.

Enjoyed two episodes of Death in Paradise. I loved the hurricane episode. Only Richard would think it's just a little wind. One more episode for season two and then it's time for a changing of the guard.

Caught two episodes of Fantasy Island. I'll admit, I'm on the fence with Roark and Javier. I'm kind of down with the building of the friendship and letting Javier all Elena out for trying to protect Ruby. The thing is … he's not wrong, but he should also know Elena might have been down this road before and she almost always has information she can't share, which is kind of hinted at when Ruby more or less forgets about Mel. What's next? She forgets her kids? So … I rather love that this thread looks like it will be spun out to a thin tether. Also makes me wonder what's in store with Ruby's tattoo.

Watched two more episodes of The Batman. ManBat and Victor Frieze were the bad guys for these two. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this show the first run through.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. Finally had another one with Susie, which makes me happy. Also forgot how much fun it was to have Chuckie act like Angelica for a day.

Started a rewatch of VIP. Sometimes it's so much fun to go back to shows from the late nineties and early aughts and enjoy the creative license and sheer escapism they provide.

Also started another new to me series with My Life Is Murder. I'm not quite finished with the episode, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far!

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Hedging Bets, a novella featuring an enemies-to-lovers couple.

Here's the miniblurb:

Lettie and Thane have issues that are getting in the way of their work and are thrown into separate cells for being insubordinate to a superior officer. Their commander decides they can stay locked up—in the same cell—until they work their crap out or one of them calls for a body bag.

And a sneaky peek…

Lettie paced back and forth. "Ten-day rip. Not sure it's worth it, but I won't break first." She got so damned pissed at Thane sometimes. "The man is so freaking irritating and full of himself." Constantly parading around like he owned the damned ship all because his dad had command.

Thane might have a solid record—no blemishes for him—but why wouldn't he? A dad who could sweep infractions under the rug.

"I get tagged for every little thing and it pisses me off." And if her dad had any pull, she'd get really angry if he stepped in all the time.

She'd make her own way, or she wouldn't make anything.

Why the hell doesn't Thane try that? Hell, with his looks, he'd probably still skate on everything from getting whatever schedule he wanted to having the galley crew save his favorite foods. Seriously, the guy put in the work to stay fit. And his body definitely showed the effort. Broad shoulders tapered down to a ripped torso and narrowed waist. He had carved biceps and his thighs were sinewy and defined. And his ass … could've been sculpted in marble. And maybe should be for posterity.

She snorted. "Pisses me off that I find him handsome and hot." Of course, everything about Thane pissed her off.

Could be why she poked at him all the time. Arguing with him made it easier to fight the attraction. Because she definitely didn't want to get cozy with her commander's son.

She shook her head. "No effing way." Even if she had a ton of respect for the elder Sorenson.

Except when he paved the road with glass so Thane could slide through life with ease.

Corporal Gaff lifted his chin and spoke to Thane, no doubt informing him of the rules, schedule, and expectations of the prisoners serving their allotted amount of time. Lettie hoped Gaff didn't mention how easy it would be to get something to make passing the time a little easier. Books, music, digital magazines, most could be had if the occupant asked nicely.

Gaff unlocked the outer door and directed Thane to the cell at the end of the row.

Lettie tracked their progress with her gaze. "Thank you, Corporal Gaff." The cells were enclosed with glass, but the doors were open bars with a slot for the meal tray.

With Thane being four down from her, she might have to look at him, but she wouldn't have to listen to him.

If he kept his voice down, which would be smart of him to do. Because if he started another fight, she wouldn't back down.

I'm having fun with this one. Lettie and Thane have more in common than they realize and it's so enjoyable to write their story.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment