Sunday, October 13, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Specter Station (a Specter Station novella)

A weird week of chilly weather and lots of cleaning projects. I'm at that place where the clutter is driving me bonkers, but I don't have enough hours in the day to really focus on a good cleanout. So … I'm tackling small areas to at least make a little progress.

Lots of work projects landing in my inbox. A few have been quick turnarounds, which I enjoy. I love having a project that I can finish up in a few hours. That type of work helps when I also have three difficult manuscripts that challenge my brain and one that requires a lot of focus.

Had a solid week of viewing. I'm still trying to finish up an episode of Peak Practice, but I made it through a full round of shows.

Started with Mr. and Mrs. Murder, an Australian mystery series. I've seen several episodes but not in order and I'm looking forward to watching this one from beginning to end. Thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, which I had not seen.

Also started a new-to-me British crime drama called London Kills. Loved the first episode and look forward to watching this series.

Caught another episode of Death in Paradise introducing the new DI. Enjoyed the interaction between the commissioner and his new lead detective. Interesting to have someone Patterson doesn't particularly like as part of the team.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness. I'm intrigued by the premise of this one. I thought the episode felt a little disjointed and I'm hoping the initial murder somehow ties into the other two. Kind of happy to be guessing on this one.

Watched a fun episode of Elementary with the return of Lestrade. I love the actor, so I love the character. Plus, he's much less annoying than Mycroft.

Enjoyed an episode of The Batman. Finally got a return of Batgirl. I'd forgotten Firefly powered up in a big way and almost blew up Gotham. Great episode.

Caught another new-to-me episode of Classic Rugrats. I'm not a great fan of the three-vignette format but I do have a lot of love for this series.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Specter's Masquerade, a novella that brings a couple together on a space station days before a huge gala.

Here's the miniblurb:

Juna Newberry starts her new position as head of security on the Specter Spacestation under fire. She walks into the job two days before the biggest gala event of the solar year, a threat is made on the personnel, including the principal owner of the station, Maddox Specter, all while fighting her attraction for the sexy entrepreneur.

And a sneaky peek…

Maddox still wanted to do bodily harm to every member on his board, but he couldn't fault their choice. After spending half the day with Juna, his confidence in her ability to seamlessly step into the position soared. He loved her sharp mind. Hell, he loved everything about her.
Sitting back while she read through her final notes, he envisioned the type of costume he'd provide. She wore a no-nonsense ponytail, with her hair pulled sleekly back from her face. His fingers itched to pull the holder off so he could see the burnished brunette tresses settled over her shoulders, hopefully bare. She had great bone structure with nicely proportioned curves her uniform couldn't hide. Not that the standard issue garment did spectacular things for her, but his active imagination had no trouble filling in the details.
She glanced up and caught him gazing in her direction.
She quirked a brow. "Do I have something on my face?" Her gaze traveled down. "Or on my uniform?"
His lips twitched. Juna focused primarily on work, but provided flashes of humor, too. He'd love working with her professionally and hoped like hell to wrangle something on a personal level, too.
Even if the timing sucked and probably couldn't be worse. Juna Newberry drew his interest like no woman had in a long time.
She cleared her throat. "Mr. Specter?"
He shook his head. "Maddox, please. Save the Mr. Specter for official use only." Why not test the waters?
Juna set the notepad aside. "Okay, I'm sensing something more than employer-employee in your tone. Am I mistaken?" She paused a moment. "Because, if not, I'd prefer if you were direct and even blunt." Folding her hands in her lap, she held his gaze.
Maddox cut to the chase. "You're not wrong. I'm a driven man and know what I want." He waited a beat. "I want a piece of you." Stopping for a moment, he went on. "I realize I'm out of line here, but I don't believe in mincing words either." He rather hoped he wouldn't get a punch to the jaw for his brutal honesty.
Juna exhaled on a long breath. "Okay, I respect having things out in the open but, yeah, out of line and crappy timing." She glanced away, inhaled deeply, then turned back and pinned him with her gaze. "Can we talk about our mutual attraction after the masquerade so I can stay on task and up to speed without big distractions?"
The words tumbled out of her mouth at a rapid pace all on the one drag of air she'd taken in.
Maddox cocked his head to one side. "Of course. But to be clear, you did say mutual attraction, right?" He should leave well enough alone, but the impulse to push for clarity wouldn't let him.
Juna gave a terse nod. "I did. But I won't—can't—think about it right now. I need to get back to my team and start doing my job." She ended any additional chance for banter by rising from her seat. "Which I'll do right now." Smoothing the creases from her uniform, she shot him a grin. "It's been an extraordinarily interesting start to my tenure with Specter Station." With a wink, she turned and exited his office.
Maddox leaned back in his chair and put his hands behind his head. His board might be the bane of his existence, but they'd done him a good turn by bringing Juna Newberry into his orbit.
A wide smile crossed his face. Paul Edwards would shoot stardust out of his ass when Maddox thanked him for the wonderful treat.

I love this series! There are three more books featuring Maddox's friends and I really hope I can get their stories launched within the next year.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment