Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Hedging Bets

October 5, 2014

Greetings!

Ugh. I got a few days off and decided to get a nasty cold. LOL Nothing like mixing sinus meds with everything else. :D

This week in TV is almost a bust. I don't think I've watched anything in real time, with the exception of Sons of Anarchy. No comment from me, but my big wish from a few weeks ago still holds true AND I'm pretty sure Jax is fighting a war from within. We'll find out if I'm on the right track soon. J

Arrow premiers this week and hopefully I'll be home to watch it live. I can't wait. And this time next week should see The Walking Dead gracing my screen again. YAY!

Tonight's post is from Hedging Bets, a sexy short where my main characters have to work out their issues or stay stuck in a brig cell.

Here's the tagline:

Lettie and Thane have issues that are getting in the way of their work and are thrown into separate cells for being insubordinate to a superior officer. Their commander decides they can stay locked up—in the same cell—until they work their crap out or one of them calls for a body bag.

And a sneaky peek…

Thad Sorenson had had enough. He requested the corporal to unlock Lettie's cell and ordered her into Thane's.
"If you think I'm going to apologize to him."
"If you think I'm going to apologize to her."
"Enough!" Sorenson shouted. "You two better work it out. Now." He grabbed the keys from the corporal and locked them in together. "You can leave, Corporal. Other than bringing them their meals, I don't want anyone else in here. Use the station outside until I order otherwise."
The corporal nodded and exited the brig with the captain.
Lettie whirled around. "I hate you." She paced back and forth.
Thane snorted. "Feeling's mutual." He leaned against the wall and crossed his arms over his chest.
She stopped mid stride. "What the hell crawled up your old man's ass?" She dropped down onto the single cot. "We fight and argue all the time. Why pick now to get all pissed off about it?"
Thane frowned and pondered the question. He and Lettie did have a tendency to take opposite sides in any conversation… and yeah, sometimes their discussions grew heated. But Thane couldn't come up with a quick or easy answer for why his dad would put them in a cell together and tell the corporal to leave. Unless… memories of his dad making Thane and his brother Trace stay in their tree house until they either duked it out or made peace hit Thane hard. His dad wouldn't pull a juvenile move like that would he? Ha. Yes, he would.
Thane snagged the chair in the corner and dragged it in front of the cot. "Maybe my dad sees something between you and me and wants us to either work it out or get over it." Lettie made a skeptical face. "Something like what?" She kicked her boots off and swung her legs up onto the thin mattress.
Thane quirked a brow. "Come on, Lettie. It's just you and me in this cell. What do you think he sees?" He followed her lead and toed off his shoes.
Lettie hopped up and paced the floor again. "Nothing that requires us to be locked in a small space together." She paused and shot him a sideways glance. "Right?"
He should've expected her to hedge her reply. He stood and closed the distance between them, backing her into the corner of the cell.
Leaning in, he spoke quietly. "I'm not so sure about that…" He tilted his head. "My old man rarely makes a bet he can't win. I'd wager he figures some alone time is a sure fix."
Lettie nodded, her tongue flicking out over her lower lip before she lifted her chin. Thane slanted his mouth over hers and holy hell, why did they argue so much when they could've been doing the lip lock thing?

I've been saying this a lot lately, but Lettie and Thane are sooooo much fun to write. :D



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flip.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment