Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Table of Lies

Still battling the cold / allergy / viral evilness thing. But… I think I'm finally in the last stages.

Teen Wolf has me confuzzled. I seriously don't know where or how everything is going to end up. I will say I kind of can't wait for the end of the Dread Doctors. I'm pretty much done with giving any kind of crap about them. Not my favorite storyline to date. Just saying.

Defiance keeps getting better. The twisty-turny stuff makes me happy. I love how even with internal betrayals, judgment and forgiveness tends to be fast and certain. I really do hope this show continues.

Killjoys season finale proved to be excellent. I'm so in love with this show, enough that I'm considering doing recaps for my fandom blog. Need to make a note to get the DVDs ASAP.

Dark Matter also gave me something I wanted, more information about Two. I'm liking how the crew is starting to gel and work together. The scene in the vault with all the guys was a treat to watch.

And once again, The Last Ship brought a ton of drama to the table. I'll be honest, I really want Chandler to take a step off the high horse and remember what things were like before he picked up the POTUS. Rachel made a gut call and kept everyone else out of it, taking full responsibility. And in this case, the greater good should outweigh any righteous indignation.

Also… I have a bad vibe about who cut the video to make it look like the ship bombed New Orleans. I hope we'll find out if I'm right this week.

Tonight's post is from Table of Lies, a novella where my main characters have some messy issues to deal with.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nichelle Stohl finally has her life on course—she's an instructor at the coveted academy of military science and she's testing the relationship waters for the first time since a truly horrible break up. Then she meets Garth Fillion—her boyfriend's brother—and her world tilts sideways.

And a sneaky peek…

Garth knocked on the door, hoping like hell Nichelle answered. She jerked the door open and stepped back, horror then resignation settling over her face. With a quick flick of her wrist, she invited him in.
He entered and turned quickly toward her.
"About the other night." Speaking in unison threw both off.
Garth shut his mouth. By all means, Nichelle could go first. He had no freaking idea what he really wanted to say. I can still feel your mouth and taste your lips. Can't sleep because I dream of not stopping. I want you. More than I've ever wanted anyone.
Shit. No. He couldn't say any of those things. She belonged with Quint. Garth wouldn't get in the way of that.
Nichelle blew out a breath, a quick look of uncertainty crossing her features before a resigned one settled in its place. "Look, Garth. I know why you're here. Or I can guess anyway." She closed the door and put several feet between them. "The other night? One time thing. Never happened before. Won't happen again."
Did she think he assumed she made a habit of almost screwing men on her kitchen table?
Interesting.
But it let him off the hook. "Right. Agreed." Wait, that didn't sound right. "I mean, uh yeah, not a habit, won't become one."
Her lips twitched. "Didn't think it would."
She nodded toward the couch and he took a seat.
She settled in the chair beside it. "Trying to drink you under the table didn't turn out quite the way I expected. And it's not a thing." She chewed her bottom lip. "I mean, well, you know what I mean, right?"
Garth could guess. "I think I get it. And for the record, it's not a thing with me either. I don't steal Quint's girlfriends, and I'm not trying with you." He wanted to, good God, he wanted to, but he wouldn't.
She narrowed her gaze. "Then we're good, right? No need to be all awkward and weird?"
Garth nodded. "Yeah, good." He'd settle for that.
He stood and she rose as well. "Um, thanks. Just wanted to be clear."
Nichelle walked him to the door. "Great. Consider it crystal and all that." She twisted the knob and yanked hard.
Garth almost questioned the action, but thought better of doing so. "Good. Uh, I'll see you then." He stepped out into the hall. "I mean with Quint, you know, right?" God, what an idiot.
Nichelle's mouth curved up on one side. "Yeah. Right. Probably in a few weeks." She glanced away.
Garth lifted a hand in farewell and started down the corridor. The faster he got out of the building, the better chance he had to keep his head on straight and not lose his ass.
I'm not quite sure where this one is going or how many twists and turns it'll take, but my love of writing the sibling dynamic remains strong.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment