Sunday, May 7, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Hard Call

May 7, 2017

Well, a crazy month begins for me this week. For whatever reason, May is always insane. Awards ceremonies, musical concerts, and, this year, a graduation. I'm just now starting to feel the feels about my middle kidlet ending his high school journey and getting ready to embark on his trip through adulthood. I should be more in the camp of two down, one to go and I'll get there… probably the day after we get the party out of the way. LOL

Television this week ended up being terrific. Gotham had a great episode with a few twists I didn't foresee. I'm still on the fence with the whole owl society thing, but I'm leaning toward liking where things are going.

The Flash ended up surprising me with the reveal of Savitar. I thought maybe Ronnie or Jay would end up being behind the suit, or possibly Thawne in some roundabout way. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the episodes play out.

Arrow's episode reminded me again why I love this show so much. It's been a little uneven this season but the show always pulls everything together in ways I don't expect. I can't wait for Wednesday to get here for the next installment!

Riverdale's reveals paid off in a big way. At least for me. I have several items on my wish list for the finale and some saved back for the next season. I'm excited for the possibilities with Cheryl and where she'll go, seeing how the dynamic plays out in the Cooper household, and what happens with everyone caught in the potential crossfire. What I'm not overly excited about? Hiram Lodge. Seriously. I kind of don't care a fig about that dude, especially if he's all oily and smarmy and goes out of his way to be a dick. We'll see. I'm watching closely, CW. Don't muck this up.

My summer shows should be returning soon and I'm looking forward to watching my favorites. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up on some of the mainstream fare I missed also.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Hard Call, a novella that started with a prompt of writing a grief sex scene that doesn’t involve losing a relative. I actually love building the tension and details surrounding intense moments so I thoroughly enjoyed thinking up scenarios for this one.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Wiccam Kidder commands a space cruiser and wears the mantle of command with reluctance. When he makes a hard call and orders Valor Glynne to what may be a certain death, he wants to give up the burden and walk away. But Valor returns and Wic is faced with knowing she'll follow wherever he leads.

And a sneaky peek…

Valor Glynne strode through the corridors of the Hathaway, a single destination in mind. She nodded to a few familiar faces. Even with a huge military, she inevitably bumped into crew she'd served with before or people that came up through the ranks at the same time.
Making her way to the end of the causeway, she stopped outside command quarters, glancing inside. "Anybody home?" The shuffle of papers and scrape of a chair greeted her before the voice did.
"Valor… come to keep me on my toes?" He popped out from his recessed alcove that functioned as a study. "Because I know all your tricks."
She laughed. He should. Wiccam Kidder grew up military, the same as she did. They learned from the same playbook. The only difference? Her dad died in the line of duty and Wic's went on to command a flagship. Valor never tired hearing about their exploits.
She grabbed hold of Wic and hauled him in for a hug. Not exactly SOP between a commanding officer and their subordinate, but Wic wrapped his arms around her anyway. They didn't stand on ceremony, not when they were off duty.
Valor eased away, getting a good, long look at her new CO. "You're looking good for someone wearing the burden of command." Her lips twitched when he rolled his eyes.
Wic shot back. "Easy job until you came aboard." His mouth curved in a sexy smile.
The one she'd missed for almost a year.
Valor couldn't resist, she notched her chin up and cupped the back of his head. "You know I always make things interesting." Proving her point, she meshed their lips together and slipped her tongue over his lower one.
Wic responded, taking the embrace from teasing to steamy. His hands skimmed along her sides, reaching around to grasp her ass. Valor swallowed back a moan, wishing they weren't on a ship in the middle of a war. She had a long list of ways she wanted to rock his world.
Vic pulled back, his movement abrupt. "Dammit, Valor. That shouldn't have happened." He put some distance between them. "You know we can't act on this thing between us. Not when there's a war to fight." His words lacked the heat of anger but held a tinge of regret.
Valor shrugged. "Seems to me it's the best time to act. We might not have an opportunity later." Because they might be dead.
They'd had the discussion before he took command. No guarantees for a long and fruitful life when enemy fire got thrown into the mix. Wic refused to build a future on shaky ground.
He cocked an eyebrow. "I'm not down with the no tomorrow concept."
In other words, they'd get their shot. Sometime.
Valor flashed a grin. "Yeah, yeah. But I had to try." She always would.
Wic chuckled. "You wouldn't be you if you didn't." He flung an arm around her shoulder. "Get settled in and be ready for the morning briefing at 0800."

I hope this all comes together the way I want it to. I love moral dilemma conflicts and Wic's got so much history with Valor not to mention the hope for a future the tension almost writes itself.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment