Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Fail Me Now

Another long week, but at least some great TV to ease the stress. Currently watching The Last Ship, which continues to keep me entertained. The new season of Doctor Who starts in a few weeks and my fingers are crossed. Really not sure I'm going to like Twelve.

Getting ready to start season two of La Femme Nikita, probably when I completely fell in love with the show. I'm also still loving Defiance and can't wait to see where the season ends.

New and pics from Comic Con made my week. The casts from Orphan Black, Sons of Anarchy, and Arrow were super awesome and shared tons of stuff. I so enjoy it when the actors love what they do and give lots to their fans.

Tonight's post is from Fail Me Now, a novella where my hero wants nothing to do with flying fighters to help win a war.

Here's the tagline:

Tate Emerson has no desire to fly fighters—he's worked too hard to get out from under his father's thumb. But when enemy forces attack, Indi Best comes calling with a special invitation from the elder Emerson: Join the fight or get left behind. Tate hatches a plan to do his part, but not have to take orders from his father.

And a sneaky peek…

Indi strode into Tate's quarters and planted her booted feet directly in front of the exit. She folded her arms over her chest and waited.
Tate glanced up and sighed. "You seriously won't take no for an answer, will you?" He closed his logbook and set it aside.
Indi jerked her head back and forth. "Nope. And you know why I won't." She met his gaze and held it.
Tate frowned. "Look, I have no desire to train. I'm perfectly content to contribute to our war effort from here." He got up and put his logbook back in his desk. "But... we could pretend to play along few weeks and you could fail me sometime in the third." He propped his hip on the oak surface.
Indi snorted. "You don't ask for much do you?" She relaxed her posture, happy he'd finally started talking.
He waved off her objection. "Just say I have zero aptitude for flying."
Obviously he did or he wouldn't be captaining your own ship.
She quirked a brow. "You want me to lie to your old man? How'd that work out for you as a kid?" The elder Emerson didn't appreciate bullshit in any form.
Tate's lips twitched. "Not well." He heaved a long sigh.
Indi chuckled. "Exactly. His tolerance hasn't improved, take my word for it." She cocked her head to the side, studied him a moment, and decided on a different tactic. "Let me ask a simple question. Why did you become a captain?"
He glanced away and didn't answer for several long seconds. "I grew up taking orders." He slid his gaze back to hers. "I wanted to give them and earned the right to do so."
She nodded. "Hmm. Okay." She respected his reason.
She also recognized a kindred spirit and her instincts screamed he had what it took to fly combat missions.
She wanted him on their side. "Let's try this for a solution. Come back with me and give it your best. If you hate it at the end, I'll figure something out."
He huffed out a harsh breath. "You think I'm going to love it, don't you?" He crossed his arms over his chest.
She answered. "I know you will."
He shook his head. "That doesn't bode well."
Oh… you're so wrong. Guys like you and your dad win wars. She opted to not share her thoughts on the topic.
She shrugged. "Maybe not… but those are my terms. Do your best, give it everything you've got—and I'll know if you don't—and if you still want to fail… I'll find a way to make it happen."
He narrowed his eyes, but she had him, he couldn't refuse.
Tate stuck out his hand. "Deal."
Victory!
Indi won the first skirmish but she's got a long road to win her personal war.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flip.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment