Sunday, June 10, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Questionable Vision

June 10, 2018

My youngest kidlet is back from her trip to Disney and it's so nice to have her home. It's also terrific she had the opportunity to visit every theme park in Disney's repertoire. She had such a great time. On a proud parent note, she enjoyed Epcot the best and it makes my entire year because that was my favorite when I went to Disney many, many moons ago. I'm resisting the urge to plan a full-on Disney vacation… mainly because I don't have the time. But it would be so much fun!

Had something of an off week in television viewing. I'm battling a nasty cold / allergies / upper respiratory "ick" that's kicking my teeth in. But… I did get quite a bit watched.

I started a new-to-me Australian show called Canal Road and it's rather good. I'm two episodes in and I'm hooked. I also got to finish up Archangel and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In my classic rewatch, I caught Midsomer Murders and several episodes of Classic Who. I finished up the Dalek episodes and started the new arc. I'd forgotten what a shifty guy the first doctor can be. I also caught another episode of The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Endeavor continues to make me happy. I also got another episode of Constantine in and I'm quite excited for the character to make the move to Legends of Tomorrow. I started a show I only got to watch sporadically when it originally aired, Pensacola Wings of Gold. I actually hope I can catch other late 90s early 00s shows. I missed so much back then.

On DVD, I finished up The Batman's third season and started the fourth. I also caught a few episodes of current seasons of Chicago Fire and Blindspot. Gotta say the whole Hurst arc is turning out to be kind of exciting.

Band of Brothers and Strike Back gave me my military show fix. I continue to be blown away by the casting in Band of Brothers. So many good choices.

I'm five episodes into Sense8 and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to watch this show. That said, I can binge the entire thing and see the finale in one go so there's that bit of good news. Fearless's third episode kind of broke me a little. It's a dark, dark show.

Krypton's first season proved to be pretty awesome. I have no idea where they'll go for the second season, but the end was kind of chilling. Jana called the whole General Zod ruling over Krypton thing and I'm truly hoping Lyta is now regretting her choice. If she isn't that character is dead to me. Just saying.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Questionable Vision, a sexy short that explores coming back from a tragic event.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Park Danielson doesn't want to fight anymore. Stuck in a warzone, he has one burning question. Why bother sticking around? Darby Young has the answer. He's not allowed to leave.

And a sneaky peek…

At least she'd taken him seriously. And, yeah, more serious than she'd ever know. She didn't have a front row seat to the destruction. Didn't watch two squadrons merge together to destroy a common enemy then turn on each other and open fire. No, she escaped that particular drama and landed in the middle of another one. The order to take out the opposing commander.
If the charge hadn't been rescinded, he'd have lost her. And he should've been there to have her back. They always watched each other's six, even when they sometimes couldn't stand the sight of each other.
Park swallowed, forming his words with difficulty. "Why do we do this, Darb?" His question could be interpreted a myriad of ways.
Why did they push each other? Why did the world always seem to implode on a regular basis? Why did they never end up on the same page long enough to pursue the megawatt chemistry between them?
Darby stopped pacing. "I don't know, Park." She moved to sit beside him again. "Fear. Self-loathing. The utter uncertainty we live with every day."
He shot her a look. She'd basically answered every question in the universe.
She narrowed her eyes. "Oh no. Unacceptable, Park. You don't get to use that. And you don't get to leave me. Not that way."
He elected to remain silent. Arguing with Darby gave him a headache on a good day. And he hadn't come close to having a decent twenty-four hours in weeks.
She grabbed his hand. "Is that what you really want?" Her voice lowered to a whisper. "To get away from me?"
Park swallowed again. How did he answer the question? He loved her. Hated her. Laughed with her. Fought with her. He counted on her. She'd become a lifeline in the harsh waters of war.
But even life-preservers were short-term solutions. "Darb, some days you're the only thing that keeps me upright. Other days, you're the one pushing me down." He slowly met her gaze. "When does want and desire get to trump pain, confusion, and utter despair?" His throat clogged with more words he wouldn't speak.
Darby stared at their entwined fingers. "So, basically, I add to this whole equation, don't I?" She loosened her grip but kept their hands joined. "You and me, we're hot then cold, back and forth, pretty much all the time." Her gaze met his again.
She'd hit on the underlying issue… in a big way. Progress of a sort. But maybe not enough.
He kept his gaze steady on hers. "Where and how do we move forward? Is it possible?" Uncertainty didn't make a great foundation to build anything on.
Darby didn't look away. "Honestly? I don't know." She placed her other palm over their joined hands.
He finally looked away. "Yeah, I figured as much." Dejected, he pulled free of her grasp.
Darby didn't let him off the hook. "You'll get back on track, Park." Her hand cupped his face. "Moment by moment, day by day, you'll improve." Leaning in, her fingers traced along his jawline. "And I'm willing to talk about everything… after you recover. So do your damned physical and get cleared for active duty." Her lips brushed over his and she eased away.
Park snagged her arm and tugged her close again. "Is that a promise?" She wouldn't go back on her word if she gave it.
Darby didn't hesitate. "I said it and I meant it. So, yeah, it's a promise."
For the first time in a long time… something seemed right in the world.

I'm not sure where this one will end up going, but I'm having fun with the challenge of writing something a little on the somber side.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment