Sunday, September 2, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Star Chasers

Greetings, September! I decided to start at least thinking about what to do for holiday shopping this year. I'm fairly certain I've decided the direction I want to go in for the kids and the husband. Possibly even my parental unit. This never happens. I fully expect the world to stop spinning sometime in the near future. Just saying.

Had a super crazy and busy week, but still got some solid viewing in. Granted, I did end up doing the usual marathons of Murder, She Wrote and In the Heat of the Night. I also got a solid block of The Saint in. Also got two episodes of Classic Who watched.

I started Sunday with Midsomer Murders then followed with Babylon 5 and The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Monday, I caught the Birds of Prey pilot episode. I loved this show so much when it premiered. Tuesday was Pensacola Wings of Gold. Wednesday, I watched another episode of Lexx and on Thursday, I watched Surprised by Love, a Hallmark original. Finally found one I thoroughly enjoyed.

On Friday, I started season five of Strike Back. I got interrupted during the first episode so I'll finish it over the weekend. I did finish Band of Brothers, which is one of my rewatch at any time shows.

Saturday has been a big block of The Saint again. Not sure what else I'll get into but I'm writing the blog post a little early so it's out of the way.

Still behind on Killjoys and Wynonna Earp, but I'll definitely make sure to watch every single episode in the near future.

That's it for this week. Tonight's post is from Star Chasers, a novella that will probably launch at least one follow-up book.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Marnie Ritoli, a kick-ass mechanic for the premier team in the galaxy, is presented with a dilemma: choose a new mate or leave the Chasers. But Marnie knows Luce Carrington isn't dead, and she won't play second fiddle to anyone, so she does what she's best at and finds a loophole in the league rules, picking Luce's best friend… the person who backs her into a corner in the first place.

And a sneaky peek…

Luce Carrington jerked awake. Mind jumbled, a throbbing pain pounded at the base of his skull. Okay, maybe he'd just regained consciousness instead of waking up.
He looked around and two things registered. The first? He had to figure out his location. He could solve that little issue as soon as the room stopped spinning.
And second? Someone wanted him dead. Why else would he be blessed with the mother of all monster headaches?
The latter wouldn't be so easy to figure out. The list, long and varied, would take some time to pare down. At least to a manageable level. Too many people on too many planets had axes to grind with him.
But there were two people he could trust with his life. Marnie Ritoli and Winston Ashcraft. He also relied on the rest of his crew, they were all family, but even family members had favorites.
Except his. The real one, the familial unit he'd walked away from. He'd have to add those names to the list of potential people with lethal intent. He'd renounced any claim on the Carrington interests, but it wouldn't stop some of his less savory relatives from trying to better their odds.
Christ, his head hurt. But the room had stopped going in circles, so he risked trying to stand. Slowly. Very slowly. He braced his back against the wall and moved upward, inch by inch, until upright. Everything went hazy, pinpricks burst behind his eyes and Luce sucked in several deep breaths before he could see clearly again.
He had to think, move past the pounding in his head, and figure out his next move. Whoever put him here hopefully thought they'd done the job and killed him. That should buy him some time.
To do what? He couldn't bring whatever shit he'd stepped into to the club. And he couldn't risk contacting Marnie or Win, not until he knew if anyone on the crew put his current situation into play.
With no one to cover his back, he felt naked and exposed.
"Hey, mister, you all right?"
Luce whirled around to find a slip of a girl standing inside the entrance… of a cargo hold. One piece of the puzzle fell into place. Friend or foe? Only one way to find out.
Luce strode toward the female, snaked an arm out, and hauled her soft and curvy body against his hard frame. Okay, not a girl, but a woman. Clear and guileless green eyes widened and she sucked in a surprised breath before molding herself against him. Her blond head barely grazed his chin when she wrapped her arms around him.
Raising her face, she gave him a wide smile before lifting her foot and stomping down, hard, on his ankle.
Spinning away from his grasp, she put some distance between them. "Look, asshole, I'm strictly hands-off. I cook in the galley. You want more, you gotta book your time with the dickhead porter who runs the girls." She marched up and punched his arm. "You're not supposed to be here. No one is."
Luce admired her chutzpah. She'd caught him off guard, which had to be her intent when she'd all but glued herself to his side. But despite her hard words, fear trembled in her voice. He could use the emotion to get some answers.
Reaching out he grabbed hold of her arms. "Then what are you doing down here?" He cast his gaze around the space. "I don't see any kitchen supplies around."
She turned her head away but shrugged. "It's quiet down here." Her eyes glanced upward. "It's not up there." She jerked away from him. "This is my refuge. Or it was until you showed up." She put a hand on her hip. "So go away and don't come back."
Luce snorted. "I'd be happy to if I knew where the hell I was."
Her head tilted to one side. "Are you serious? How do you not know where you are?"

I actually love how this one is coming together. I kind of have a thing for taking an established couple and having them be apart in the beginning of the book.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment