Sunday, August 26, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Spider's Webb

Ugh. My daughter had her first fender bender already. I haven't even made the first car payment yet. LOL

She's fine, which is all that truly matters. The car isn't completely wrecked and that's also a good thing. Whew.

Needless to say, I had a lot of distractions this past week. That said, I did get a few good viewing sessions in.

I started Luke Cage's second season and liked the first episode. I'm very interested in seeing what happens with everyone. Also caught two episodes of Killjoys and one of Wynonna Earp. Still behind, but I'll get caught up eventually.

Started the limited series Driven from Passionflix. So far… definitely so good. I'm so happy to be a founding member of this venture.

I ended up getting an episode of The Dresden Files in along with the tenth episode of Canal Road.

On DVD this week, I caught Batman: Assault on Arkham and the Veronica Mars movie. Enjoyed both!

Also did my usual marathon viewings of Murder, She Wrote and In the Heat of the Night. Got in an episode of Peter Gunn, too.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Spider's Webb, a book in the Furlough 99 universe.

Here's the tagline:

Spider Smith, techno geek extraordinaire, meets his match when Hailey Webb decides she needs his expertise. When her carefully planned escape from a life of crime goes awry, Spider wants to help, but with his team out on a fool's mission, Spider has to fight the battle on his own.

And a sneaky peek…

Spider snarled. "So the guild is on a fool's mission. There's no fugitive." Dammit. They could've used the funds.
Hailey cringed. "Yeah, sorry about that. But if you'll let me—"
Spider grabbed her arm and dragged her behind him. "Let you what? Explain?" He whipped her around and marched her forward. "Oh, yeah. You're definitely gonna be doing some serious chatting." Thank the universe Spider caught Hailey before she could finish corrupting the security system. He dragged her to his lair and dumped her in an overstuffed recliner. Grabbing for the comm headset, he started to call in the guild.
"We'll see if there's a nice bounty on your head. The guys'll like that. It's been a quiet week."
Hailey snorted. "Whatever, dude. I could save you time and tell you there's not."
Spider paused, moving the microphone down. "You didn't have time to delete yourself. No way."
Hailey's lips quirked. "Listen, I hate to break it to you, but I could work circles around you."
Spider scoffed. "I don't think so. Your work is sloppy, messy, and amateur."
Hailey rose from the chair and moved in on Spider. "Hey, dumbass. Do you have any idea how hard it is to fuck code up in just the right way to alert the super genius security guy…" She poked him in the chest. "That would be you…" Her hand fell away and she rambled on. "But not clue in the above average intelligent crew breathing down the back of my neck?"
Spider blinked. "Shit." It would take a fuck ton of talent and finesse.
She smirked. "Damn straight, you moron. The shit's pretty deep and someone just dropped me in it, neck high." She pinned him with her gaze. "Again, that would be you."
Because he'd caught her sooner than she wanted. Spider heaved a sigh. "Shit."
Hailey shook her head. "You know, for a brilliantly smart guy, your vocabulary is hugely lacking." She paced back and forth. "No way you're gonna be the one to cover my ass. I'm pretty much a walking ghost right now."
Only a true pro could purposefully screw up the code enough to ping him but not alert the crew she ran with. Hell, she might be better than him.
Stunned at her skill, Spider finally got his brain to kick in. "Look, this is salvageable."
Hailey spun around. "Really? How?"
Spider shrugged. "I let you go. You meet back up with your team and finish the job."
Hailey shook her head. "Uh-uh. They'll never believe I got tagged by the guild and didn't spill."
Spider pondered a moment. "So you tell them you convinced me you'd make it worth it to let you go."
Hailey tilted her head to the side, considering the idea. "Hmm. Been a long time since I've pulled out the tits and teeth routine." She chuckled. "It's been a long time since I've been caught and needed to."
Spider frowned. "I was thinking more along the lines of a credit exchange."
Hailey snorted. "They'd never believe that. A guy with your skill set can get all the credits he wants." She dragged the ponytail holder from her hair and mussed it up. "But a wild night with me… they might just go for. Especially since none of them can ever get near me. And your boys are on fugitive patrol in the mining colony." She paused. "But my team will still be suspicious. That could be a problem."
Spider had a solution. "You really do need someone to cover your ass."
Hailey smirked, then purred. "You volunteering for the job, big man?"
If her voice made his dick hard, he had a fleeting thought about what her mouth could do.
Hailey snapped her fingers. "Hello? Stop thinking with the little brain and focus."
Spider shook his head. "Right. Focus." He moved to his setup and opened multiple programs. "And, yes, I’m volunteering." His fingers flew over the keyboard, entering a long series of commands. "Look at the monitors." He nodded toward the screens. "I'm hacking our droid units, telling them to log your every move." He turned and guided Hailey a few feet to her left. "Stand still." He hit enter, carefully watching the holovid scan Hailey from head to toe. "Your image is uploading to every droid and security monitor we have on station. They'll follow every move you make as soon as I enter the command code."
Hailey grinned, long and slow. "Geez. You're beyond skilled." She shuddered. "I'm actually very turned on right now."
Spider's dick jumped in response. "Later." Realizing how that sounded, he added. "Er, if you're not, you know, dead or behind bars."
Hailey laughed. "Oh, my god… I'm stupidly happy I took a chance and finally got to meet you."

I have so much fun writing Hailey and Spider! This couple knows how to keep each other on their toes.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment