Sunday, October 28, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Therapeutic Recuperation

Well… we're almost to November and I'm really not ready for the month yet. Seriously, I'm wondering where 2018 went. Then again, it's been a bit of a bum year so maybe getting to 2019 sooner rather than later won't be a bad thing.

Had a busy week but got some good television watched. The Last Ship had a great episode. If they end up going where I think they will, the last few episodes could get interesting. Doctor Who's "Rosa" ended up being better than I thought it would be. I read an interesting article about the music of the new incarnation and while I appreciate the opinion of the author, I kind of miss Murray Gold's audible cues. Then again, I'm very much drawn in by musical cues in television shows.

I finished up Driven on Passionflix. I'll be honest, I'm not thrilled with where they left it. I totally get it had to end on a cliffhanger because there are two more books being made into this limited series. So… I'm ready for more. Looking forward to the holiday movie Mr. 365 when it launches in November.

Murdoch Mysteries had a fun episode centering on Henry's wedding. Also caught another episode of Peter Gunn's first season. Penny Dreadful revealed how Vanessa became embroiled with Sir Malcolm and, wow, dark waters run really deep in that relationship. I'm in the middle of a Midsomer Murders episode that usually keeps me company when I'm folding laundry. LOL

Arrow pulled off another amazing episode. I'm truly ready for Diaz to go down. That said, I'm totally onboard for the never-thought-it-could-happen team-ups of Dinah and Laurel and Felicity and the FBI agent chick. I'm also really wondering what the hell is going on with William and Roy. Legends of Tomorrow had a great premiere. This show is just fun, fun, fun. Yet it's also balanced with serious issues. If you're not watching you should be. Just saying.

I'm almost finished with this season of Killjoys. Meeting Dutch's mom turned out to be an interesting stroll through history. I'm also totally there for the RAC shenanigans. Pree and his man mixing it up with them is terrific. I caught another episode of The Dresden Files and had forgotten how terrific Claudia Black's character ended up being. Also watched an episode of Babylon 5 and another episode of Classic Who.

Riverdale… brings the crazy like no other show I'm watching right now. My head almost hurts with how they take things to the edge of unbelievable but somehow stay just shy of actually crossing over into total no effing way. Kudos to the writers!

I watched the second episode of Underbelly Files. Infiltration featured Sullivan Stapleton in what I'd assume would be one of his first roles. Actually turned out to be a great episode. I have one more left before moving on to a new season.

That's it for television this week. Hallmark Channel is gearing up with their holiday movies and I'll probably end up getting sucked in the vortex soon. LOL

Tonight's post is from Therapeutic Recuperation, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt of writing a hurt / comfort story where the hurt—injury, kidnapping, trauma of author's choice—is only a gateway to the comfort—snuggles, talking about feelings, helping with recovery or physical therapy.

Here's the mini-blurb:

An accidental blast on the hangar deck lands Nadine Hewes and Hall Pullion in sickbay. The ship's doctor gets them stable then puts them in the same alcove so they don't drive everyone else nuts while they recuperate, leading the pilots to discover all kinds of interesting things about each other.

And a sneaky peek…

Year 3952
Base Hangar Deck
Moments before the blast

Hall handed the Chief Ben Warden a blown fuel line. "Look, I understand about needing some time for everyone to get with the program, but too many slipups are happening." He should've let Nadine go on with her tirade the other day. "Rooks or not, we can't keep having so many errors." He paused. "Someone's gonna get hurt or killed." And they didn't need to lose anyone else.
The chief couldn't argue. "I know, Lieutenant, believe me. I'm not sure who decided to send a buttload of newbs to my deck, but it sucks." He held the fuel line up to the light and shook his head. "It's not their fault. They're trying to keep up." Tossing the hose into the recycling bin, he grabbed a marker and put Hall's bird out of commission.
Hall sighed. "I know, Chief. But I'm worried about the damage if a big mistake is made." Only a matter of time until it happened too.
Ben's shoulders slumped. "Yeah, I hear you. I'm working on it, slowly but—"
A pop followed by a hiss echoed behind them. Dread seeped into Hall when his gaze tracked the sound to the compression station. A pressure valve had burst and air from the lines leaked in a visible rush.
The chief shouted. "No, no! Don't light the torch—"
Hall barely heard his name before a hand wrapped around his arm, dragging him to the deck. His gaze locked with Nadine's milliseconds before a ball of flames erupted and a deafening explosion followed. His ears ringing, Hall caught the sight of Ben ducking down but not soon enough to avoid injury. The fire singed his hair and a piece of metal lodged in his arm.
And still the chief shouted orders. Get the fire out. Cap the valve.
Hall shook off the dizziness and struggled to his feet. Pain shot through his leg and hip.
Nadine snagged his pants, yanking him back down. "Don't stand. Stay low." She crawled forward, favoring her arm.
Concern shot through him. He rolled to his belly and made his way toward her, using his arms to make progress. Nudging her shoulder, he nodded for her to grab hold of him and together they dragged themselves to relative safety.
Once clear, Hall assessed the damage to the deck and issued his own orders. "Get the chief clear and disconnect the fuel lines. And for fuck's sake, start moving the ravenwings off the deck." Deck crew scurried to carry out their tasks.
Nadine chimed in. "Get the medical teams down here." She worked herself into a sitting position. "Anyone with free hands get busy with triage. Now." She grabbed a tie line from the deck and turned toward him. "Strap my arm to my chest." She winced when he put pressure on her shoulder. "Damn. Hurts like a bitch."
He got the makeshift splint secured but his vision blurred red. Blood. From a wound?
Nadine swiped her good hand over his face, running her palm over his head. Her fingers came away crimson colored.
She frowned. "Hmm. You've got some bleeding from a nasty wound on your head." She stuck the hem of her shirt between her teeth and tore a strip away.
She helped him apply it to the gash, holding pressure with her free hand while he tied the bandage securely.
Nodding, she pinned her gaze lower. "How's the leg?"
As she'd said earlier, it hurt like a bitch.
He slumped against the wall, keeping an eye on the deck crew. "It doesn't feel right, but I’m okay for now." Now that his adrenaline tapered off, his hips throbbed and his knee screamed in agony.
He exchanged a glance with Nadine, who huffed out a short laugh. Neither had full use of their limbs. What a pair.
In unison, they spoke. "Or not."
The humor ended up short-lived. His lungs began burning with each breath and his vision swam again. His eyes dropped and Nadine's voice reached him but sounded like it came from across the deck. "Yeah, shit. The fumes. We forgot about the fumes." Her voice drifted off to the sound of her labored breathing.
Everything went gray then black and he tilted sideways.

I'm having fun with this setup. I like having a traumatic event to push a couple into facing or admitting how they feel.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment