Sunday, April 21, 2019

Sunday Snippet: X-Ray Tango

To all who celebrate Easter, I hope it's a good holiday. Another weird weather week in Ohio. I know, big shock, right? Actually turned on the AC one day because the house was stuffy and humid. The next day, I turned it off because the temperature dropped thirty degrees again. Needless to say, it's a combination of AC and furnace for the next few weeks.

Decent television week. I did get to finish Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries and it was… soooo good. I'll finish up the other three episodes, but I'm pretty sure I'd like to see more. Here's hoping they'll do another season.

Caught another episode of Painkiller Jane and it's one I remembered from the original run. I'll admit I was disappointed there weren't more episodes even though fandom in general thought the show fared poorly against the source material.

Watched another episode of Underbelly: Razor and, yeah, the women are starting to feel the burn from the law. I wanted to empathize with Tillie but couldn't quite get there. She's just not drawing my sympathy and I can't really explain why. Kate, though, I kind of sympathize with. Nellie… is Nellie. Not quite sure what I feel for her plight.

Finished up Midsomer Murders and enjoyed the rest of the episode. I'm almost through the fourteenth series and I'm still liking the show. There's never a shortage of interesting little bits worked into the stories.

Roswell, New Mexico… the penultimate episode. Holy crap. So much happened. Questions were answered but a ton of new ones popped up from those answers. I really need another season because there's no way it can have a satisfying end with only one more episode to go. I need to know how Maria's mom fits into the situation at Caufield, if she even does, or at the very least, I need to know why she's so scrambled. And, dammit, I need Maria to know what's going on and put her two cents in. I dipped my toe into the fandom waters and, yeah, I'll probably steer clear. I love the potential interactions with everyone, including Alex, Michael, and Maria. While I'm not a full-on fan of triangles, I do like messy and awkward feelings that have to be resolved somehow. I also love how many different definitions of family there is to wade through on the show. The kind of big thing I'm dreading is a possible death in the last episode. I've got a gut feeling of who it might be and I’m not ready for it.

Also, I'm sad to see Jenna go, if she really does. Here's hoping she might make her way back in the future. The interactions between Jenna and Liz were so damn good, as in there was awkwardness but none of the bitchy-girl, fur-flying stuff that's so lame. Kudos for that!

Caught two more episodes of Peter Gunn and both were ones I hadn't seen. Pete and Edie remind me of Nick and Nora. Weird, I know. I think it's a vibe thing. Nora totally had Nick's number and I think Edie is the same way with Peter.

Watched episode four of Blade. Nice to come back to this after a long hiatus. I'm looking forward to more one season wonders on the CW Seed app.

Caught Strike Back and loved so much about this episode. Nice to have Zarkova back among the group. So cool to see Chetri pretty much rescue herself. And Alexander ending up in Moscow was better than expected. Wyatt and Novin are never boring and Mac needs to keep his choose better times to get sexed up. That's a lot of information to pack into a one-hour nutshell.

Watched the beginning of the next arc of Classic Who. This one is about the time meddler and I'm interested to see where it goes. Got a surprise when the guy from the Dalek episodes showed up. Didn't see that coming.

Caught a majorly great episode of Chicago Fire. Watching the women deal with the terrible accident in Indiana while the guys held a chili cook-off worked really well. The fact that the doom and gloom crew won—and one of the members is the dude from the Sonic commercials—kind of made my day.

Also started an episode of Iron Fist and it's full of Misty right now so I'm loving the hell out of it. Just saying.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from X-Ray Tango, a novella that started with a story prompt of… your characters love to fight but they can't win all the time; nasty wounds and bruises require comfort, right?

Here's the mini-blurb:

Kellan Gates and Josh Robertson do not get along, constantly vying for top position in their squadron. But when they're transferred to another ship, Josh is targeted by a former nemesis that uses program X-ray Tango to keep Josh in check, which fires up Kellan—no one is allowed to give Josh a hard way to go except her.

And a sneaky peek…

Well, shit. She had him there. No one flew like she did, or put the same amount of work into being the best.
Josh snapped his mouth shut and gave her a terse nod. The victorious look she sent his way had him shaking his head. In less than two seconds she'd be gloating like she owned the world.
And he'd never hear the end of it. Of course, her swaggering out of the briefing room gave him a brief moment to brace for impact and let her crow in victory to the milling pilots outside.
He tilted his head to one side, enjoying the way her ass moved under her fatigues. "Maybe having her strutting around like she owns the universe won't be so bad after all." He followed her out into the corridor and, sure enough, she had the squadron gathered around her.
Kellan poked her head up over the assembled group to flash him a grin. "Nice of you to join us, Robo. Any requests about your wingman before I get started on the flight roster?" The challenge in her gaze didn't go unnoticed by the group.
Josh shrugged. "I fly at your leisure. Whoever you assign as my wingman is all right with me." He did an invisible hat tip and started down the causeway.
One of the perks of being squadron leader gave them the responsibility of shuffling the lineup. The CAG made a tentative schedule and left it up to the leader to post the final version. Josh usually tweaked one or two slots and only when he had to. And Kellen, oddly enough, got her shorts in a twist whenever he made those changes. The woman didn't like anything that mucked up her routine.
Or maybe she only enjoyed giving him shit all the time.
Kellan broke away from the pilots. "Hold up, Robertson." She hustled to his side. "You seriously don't care who I put you with?" Her tone held a teasing edge.
Josh kept moving but glanced in her direction. She had a smirk on her face, which somehow looked sweet and sultry at the same time. Ugh. The pull of attraction whenever he landed in her orbit reared up again.
I need to get a handle on that.
And figure out what kind of answer she wanted. "Look, put me with Roundabout. He could probably use the good numbers." Les Wagner had the worst stats in the squadron.
Kellan's lips thinned to a flat line and she paused. "You're zero fun, Josh." She pitched her voice low so only he could hear. "Nobody wants to fly with Roundabout. His numbers will go up but yours will suffer." She emphasized her point with raised eyebrows.
Josh snorted. "And that's bad for you how?" He quirked an eyebrow. "Means you might get to squadron leader next week too." Fairly pleased, he ambled forward and left her sputtering for a response.
"You're an ass, Robertson."
He grinned but didn't let her see it. "I'm told it's a gift, Gates. And it keeps on giving." He rounded the corner and barely kept from laughing. "Round one goes to me."
Which meant he'd better have his shit together if he wanted to stay a step ahead of her.

I like how this one is going. Josh and Kellen's rivalry needs to be established but it's also important to get their attraction on the page. They're going to need it and each other for what comes later.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment