Sunday, May 12, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Yank the Chain

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. It's rainy and chilly in Ohio and a nice day to stay in and be pampered. A few quiet hours alone is on my agenda today.

Had a solid television watching week. Since I watched so many penultimate episodes last week, this week ended up putting me in the finale zone. I started with the final episode of Underbelly: Razor. I'll admit I ended up being pretty satisfied with how things turned out. Kate and Tillie ended up living to ripe old ages for the times and Nellie, oddly enough, had an ending that rather suited her. Big Jim definitely got his due as did Phil the Jew.

Caught two more episodes of Midsomer Murders and thoroughly enjoyed both. I do like John and his wife along with their dog Sykes. Also watched two more episodes of Peter Gunn.

Started a new show from the CW. In the Dark ended up being more than I expected and, honestly, I enjoyed it. The heroine is messy and prickly and I like her flaws. The supporting cast is excellent. I'll watch more and see how it goes. It's been renewed for another season so I hope I like the rest of this one.

Watched another episode of Blade and remembered most of this one. There were a few bits I missed the first time around so it's nice to have those blanks filled in.

Also caught two more episodes of Classic Who and finished out the time meddler episodes. If memory serves, this is really the first sighting of the Master. Kind of like his origin story.

Watched the finale of Strike Back and I'm happy to say everyone I lived that I wanted to see still standing at the end. With the exception of Wyatt's marriage, which I have a feeling didn't survive. I can't wait for the final season now.

Caught Chicago Fire and enjoyed the episode. I'm not sold on Grissom being an okay guy yet but here's hoping they go in that direction. I really don't want to see Severied used as a pawn on the chessboard so I'll be pissed if that happens.

Iron Fist had a decent episode. Danny and Colleen are walking a very fine line and I'm hopeful their relationship can withstand the coming nightmare of dealing with Davos. Joy and Ward had some personal growth and Mary's storyline meshed well with the others. Davos is Davos and I'm still struggling to find some kind of empathy with him. It's not working.

Caught a great episode of Arrow and thoroughly enjoyed. I'm not a big fan of Diggle and Lyla keeping big secrets but I'll hold back from judging too much. Really loved Oliver and Laurel's reckoning with past sins. I love Oliver the most when he's pushing to be better than his parents.

Watched the finale of Murdoch Mysteries and, whew, I'm so glad things worked out the way they did. Miss Hart should probably watch her step and I'm kind of hoping she ends up becoming a good character. Nice to see where everyone is at the end, mostly in great places with their personal relationships.

Caught another episode of The Murders and I'm really loving this show. I'm excited to find out who is messing with Kate and I liked seeing Nolan not dealing with his personal life. Also loved having Kate back him up.

Watched the finale to Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries and, wow, I truly hoped the stupid superintendent would get what he deserved. Of course, he didn't and Peregrine might have lost her edge with him. We'll see what happens… if there's a second season. The chemistry between Steed and Peregrine is so delicious.

I'm nearing the end of my Painkiller Jane rewatch and I completely missed the episode I caught the first time around. Glad I got it in. I think there are two episodes left in this season, but I can't remember for certain.

Started another new show for me, Durham County. It's dark and twisty and I think I'm going to like it a lot. The first episode had a good mix of creepy happenings along with some good exposition. Looking forward to more.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Yank the Chain, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of creating a scene or story set around being in the brig or jail a week before a big event.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When pilot Riley Wang refuses to cave in and sleep with an arrogant major, she ends up in hack a week before graduation from flight school. Moss Mordecai bails her out, but keeps her from going after her superior officer. If Riley wants back on the roster, she needs a plan and spending more time in the brig isn't a good one.

And a sneaky peek…

Riley Wang blinked and shook her head. "Excuse me, you want me to what?" She couldn't have heard the major correctly.
Major Anton Cabella folded his hands on his desk. "You heard what I said. Don't pretend you didn't." He got up and came around to stand almost toe-to-toe with her. "I'm thinking between nineteen hundred and nineteen thirty." He trailed a finger from her shoulder to her forearm. "Uniform isn't necessary." His eyes narrowed, no doubt while his brain pictured her out of said uniform.
Riley fought back a shudder. This seriously couldn't be happening. She'd fought hard to get into the expanded training program and worked her ass off to prove she had the chops to become one of the elite pilots in the newly formed squadron. Her better half, Moss Mordecai encouraged her to apply and become a member of the new unit he'd joined last year.
Riley edged backward. "You do know I'm in a relationship, right?" One she didn't want to fuck up.
Cabella shrugged. "We're not meeting for a date, Lieutenant. I require no more than a few hours of your time." He pinned her with his hawk-like gaze. "Surely you can find some excuse for Lieutenant Mordecai to let you have an evening to yourself." His eyebrow quirked.
As if she needed Moss's permission. She didn't. He'd never ask her to explain an absence. Not that the major needed to know.
She eased a little further away. "It's not about that. I have no interest in spending any kind of personal time with you. I'm definitely not interested in sharing your bed." Her brain rebelled at even thinking about it.
Cabella smirked. "I guess I'll give your spot on the roster to someone else then." He reached behind him and pulled her fit rep.
Red hot anger flashed behind Riley's eyelids. The fucker wanted to ground her? Because she had zero desire to sleep with him.
She exhaled slowly, fighting to keep the rage at bay. "You're not serious." No way would he follow through. "You can't ground me. My stats are better than anyone else's." She'd bet her next pay grade they were better than his.
The major sneered. "Numbers aren't everything, Lieutenant." He grabbed another file, a thick one, and flipped it open. "You're not exactly known for keeping a low profile. I'm pretty sure I can find a reason to revoke your active status. One that'll hold up unless you make the right decision here." He closed the folder and tucked it under his arm.
Using her past transgressions as a threat pissed Riley off. She worked hard to clean up her act and keep it that way. Revoking her flight status over something trumped up? She didn't think so.
Riley didn't fight the urge anymore. The right decision? She'd give it to him…
Right now.
She hauled her arm back and punched the smug bastard in the face.

Riley's actions have repercussions but she's got a good guy in her corner… but she'll have to convince him she's not sliding back into bad habits.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment