Sunday, May 26, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Yarn Spinning

Where on earth did the month of May go? I realize I noted it was almost over last week, but, honestly, I feel like I blinked and the week flew by.

Another so-so week of television viewing. I had a lot on my calendar and needed to do some serious focusing while working. I did get some quality viewing in.

I started and finished the third episode of Blue Heelers. I like it. The cast is pretty stellar and the storylines are fun for me.

Caught Arrow's emerald archer episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to miss this show so much when it's over next season. I'm really hoping some of the cast stays available to do the crossover episodes in the Arrowverse.

Watched another episode of The Murders. This show… I'm very into it. It's not really a shipping kind of show but I'd be totally down with Nolan and Kate hooking up. It would add an interesting layer to their partnership.

Watched what I think is the penultimate episode of Painkiller Jane. One episode left then it's on to a new show on The Roku Channel.

Caught another episode of Durham County. Man, this show is dark. Which I like, don't get me wrong. I spend most of the episode wanting something terrible to happen to Ray Prager. The guy is just… creepy. I'm really hoping to find out why he hates his own kid so much.

Watched another episode of Midsomer Murders. The first episode of series fifteen ended up being terrific. James Callis played twins, one an arrogant jerk and one a rather affable guy… until the murderer is revealed. Great episode.

Caught two more episodes of Peter Gunn. I'd seen both already but they were pretty good so I didn't mind watching again at all.

Watched two more episodes of Doctor Who and finished out The Ark storyline. Looking forward to starting a new group of shows.

In the Dark's third episode was… pretty good. There are times when the awkward mess Murphy makes of her life is hard to watch but I think that's part of the reason I like the show so much. She's so prickly and obnoxious but she's also got a softer side that she has no idea what to do with.

Started episode two of my Banshee rewatch and I'll have more to discuss next week.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Yarn Spinning, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt of writing a story that involves a lie.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Torrin Becks and Gaelan Van Zant pull duty on the same scout ship, which creates a good bit of tension in the five man crew. Torrin and Gaelan have something of a history and when the yarn spinning—who has the greatest exploit—starts, Torrin has to decide if she'll call Gaelan out on a big fat fib, or let the story stand as the winner.

And a sneaky peek…

Gaelan would never admit to hiding on the transport to the scout ship… but he did. He found the seat in the corner and prayed Torrin wouldn't be anywhere near him.
Filing out at the last possible moment, he snorted. "No chance of that." He'd pretty much guaranteed she'd give him wide berth.
Which she had, staying in the front section directly behind the pilot.
Just as well, too. Since she'd dumped Eric, the guy had gone down a dark hole and still hadn't clawed his way out. He kept hooking up with random women and, according to what he told Gaelan, none of them had what Eric wanted.
Gaelan took that to mean none of the women were Torrin.
Which he got… more than he should.
Another reason he'd rather not be trapped on a small ship with her.
After checking in with the captain, he made his way to the crew quarters and found his bunk area. Fuck. Right next to Torrin.
He dropped his rucksack on the deck and keyed in the entry code to his space.
Torrin glanced over her shoulder and sighed. "I'll try to change spots with one of the other crewmen." She pushed the hatch open and dragged her bag inside the room.
Gaelan frowned. "I'm not sure why—" He glanced inside his space and discovered the reason. The bunk areas had a shared bathroom with curtains separating the space.
Dammit.
Torrin shrugged. "Give me twenty-four hours. I'll see what I can do." She didn't wait for a reply before shutting the hatch.
Gaelan picked his rucksack up and tossed it on the bunk. "Whatever. If she can't find a switch, maybe I can." He blew out a long breath. "Figures. If Torrin and Eric were still together, this might have been fun." He used to love spending time with the couple.
But Eric's rendition of their breakup forever altered Gaelan's opinion of Torrin. To be as cruel as she'd been… well, Eric probably dodged a bullet when she dumped him. Not that Gaelan could convince his friend of that fact.
Gaelan dropped down on the bunk. "Now I get to share space with someone I don't even like anymore."
How fun.
Not.

Nothing like some close quarters to make things really awkward. Gaelan and Torrin are going to have a lot of fun trying to avoid each other. Not.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment