Sunday, April 26, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Escape on Equinox

April is almost over and it doesn't feel like we should be moving into the summer months. Seriously, the weather is still chilly, there's a pandemic making everything seem more lopsided and crazy, and it really just feels like we're still stuck in 2019, right?

Anyway, slower than usual week in television, but I did get several things watched. I started out with finishing up the Roswell, New Mexico episode and it ended up being pretty solid. I really want Maria to know what's going on with everyone. Make that happen soon, dammit.

Caught another episode of The Heart Guy and, seriously, this show is growing on me. I'll have to recommend this one to my brother, another fan of Aussie dramas.

The main reason I didn't get a lot of my regular shows watched is because I got completely sucked into the Battlestar Galactica marathon on Syfy. It was so much fun catching up with cast members and seeing them reminisce about the show. The marathon also made me long for the old days when Syfy used to marathon shows on a daily basis. I miss those days so much. I literally loathe the crap they show during the day now. Ugh.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice, the final one for the first season. A familiar face popped up, the man who plays Brackenried on Murdoch Mysteries. That was fun.

Watched two episodes of Danger Man for some background noise. Both were episodes I didn't remember seeing in my initial viewing of the series.

Also caught another arc of Classic Who. I have one more arc left with Three then will be moving on to the fourth doctor.

Watched another series of Cirque de Soleil shows. The talent the performers have amazes me. And the theatrical costumes and plot also blow me away.

Started the second episode of Picard, but the streamer kept crapping out with error messages. Frustrating as that seems to be happening a lot lately with various platforms. With so many people trying to stream shows, I guess that's to be expected.

Same thing keeps happening with Strike Back. I'm almost finished with the fifth episode, but it's taken my three days to get that far. Very annoying. But patience is a good thing.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Escape on Equinox, a Capital City Seasons novella.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Jim Hodges, an elite officer in a specialized tactical unit, finally meets a woman with a sweet disposition and a naughty sense of humor. But when she's taken hostage and his team is called in, he's determined to make sure a quick resolution takes place, which won't be easy because he's ordered to step aside and let his fellow members handle everything.

And a sneaky peek…

Jim tucked his shirt back into his waistband. "Uh, not to be stupid, but why me?" He glanced toward her with a sideways look.
A fair question. And he deserved an honest answer.
Roz straightened her scrubs after slipping her feet into her clogs. "Jess told me about you two. How you almost hooked up." What a story!
Jim's gaze skidded away. "Yeah, not my best moment."
Roz shook her head. "Actually, I disagree. It sounds like a really good moment where you put her emotional state ahead of what your dick no doubt wanted." She leaned back against the counter. "I don't know many guys who wouldn't try to take advantage in a situation like that—especially after Jess practically had you on the edge." Hell, Roz's previous experience with Walter would've ended very differently than Jess's with Jim.
He rolled a shoulder. "She needed a friend not a hard-on." His lips kicked up in a half-smile.
Roz reached out and planted her hand on his chest. "And that's why you. I needed the opposite today—which, ugh, makes me sound like I just used you for a hard body. But Jess trusts you and, well, I saw you and remembered what she said about how you were with her, and—" She stopped talking for a moment. "God, I'm making a mess of this." If he walked out and never wanted to see her again, she wouldn't blame him.
Jim grasped her hand and curled his fingers around it. "No. I get it. You had a terrible day and wanted to push that aside but needed someone to help out. Who better than a guy who almost hooked up with one of your best childhood friends." He paused and grimaced. "Shit. Now I'm the one messing up. What I mean is—"
Roz laughed. "I know what you mean. You nailed it. The rest of the guys on your team? Uh-uh, no way. They're a great bunch but I couldn't have hauled any of them into this closet without it getting out less than five minutes later. I'm not worried about that with you." She gripped his shirt and leaned in close. "Besides, you're beyond hot and the sex was spectacular." Her lips brushed over his. "Thank you."
Jim gave her a sheepish grin. "Happy to help out." He nodded toward the door. "I'll check, make sure no one's around out there."
She appreciated his thoughtfulness.
He popped the door a little then opened it up wide. "Coast is clear." She left the closet first and he followed.
Making a quick decision, she stopped by her car and dug out her phone. "Can I get your number? We still need to get coffee or something." She'd really like to build a friendship with him.
Jim took her device and punched his contact info in. "I'd love to hear from you. Call anytime." Giving her a salute, he turned and headed for the emergency center doors.

I love this series and Jim's story is one I'm excited to tell. I had fun with him in Midwinter Crises and couldn't wait to find someone for him to fall for.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment