Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Every Last Drop

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. I'm having a low-key day, which is kind of nice. The past week has been crazy with weird weather—we had snow yesterday … in May—and a lot of uncertainty about how safe it is to start getting back out there and mixing with people.

Had a semi-decent week of television viewing. I'm finally caught up on the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover and, yeah, I'll save my thoughts on it for last.

Otherwise, I caught a few more episodes of Danger Man. Again, these were two I don't remember in my first run through of the episodes. I really love this classic.

Speaking of classics. I finished up the third doctor's run in Classic Who. I thoroughly enjoyed Jon Pertwee's portrayal. Up next, is the fourth doctor and I'm ready to dive in.

Caught another episode of The Heart Guy and liked it. I have to say it's kind of odd how much I like Hugh because he really is a bit of a dick. But there's a good heart, pardon the pun, under his arrogance and immaturity. I actually had a moment of intense dislike for his boss when she spent the money he cajoled out of Nathan for an MRI on regular supplies. The jury is still out on that situation. I think it was a major smack and her level of smugness irritates me on the regular. Then again, she's dealing Hugh so there's that. My last thought on the show for this week is really hoping the sister-in-law doesn't do anything stupid like hook up with Hugh again. I don't hold out much hope because that's a hard trope to ignore and the messy fallout is hard to resist.

Also caught the opener of season two Peak Practice. I kind of like where Will is right now. I'm a little weirded out by the whole trying to pray a daughter's asthma away plot line but overall a good episode.

I got to watch another Cirque du Soliel performance with Zed. This one ended up being the whole show from start to finish and, wow, what a show. I'm going to try to catch it again later this week. There's always so much going on I miss stuff.

Started episode three of Picard but CBS All Access is crap for streaming at my house. I have no idea why, but I literally struggle to get episodes watched. Very frustrating.

Last but not least … Crises on Infinite Earths. I give the whole thing a ten out of ten. Backtracking a little, losing Oliver in the opening episode? Bold choice. I can honestly say, I loved everything about the Supergirl portion of the crossover even if it broke my brain.

Following up with Batwoman, what a kick-ass episode. I loved the additional cameos and throwbacks and mash-ups. Having Kevin Conroy as a live-action Batman, albeit a broken one, rocked. Anyone who's a huge fan (um … definitely me) of Batman the Animated Series should have enjoyed the voice actor in this role. I liked the bonding Kate and Kara did too.

Moving on to The Flash, again, thoroughly enjoyed the episode even if, by this point, I decided to have a full box of tissues next to me. I think because I knew what to expect everything hit harder emotionally. I loved the way they brought the Black Lightning 'verse into the fold; a solid choice with Barry and Jefferson bonding over shared circumstances.

The Arrow episode almost did me in. I won't lie. I spent most of it in tears. And they were actually good tears even if I ended up ugly crying for a lot of it. Part of the reason is because Arrow is the first, the show that launched it all and the one I've followed from the very beginning to the very end. I've caught the others, watched a good bit of The Flash and Legends, a little of Supergirl and a smattering of Batwoman, but Arrow is my Arrowverse show. I'm truly, completely in awe of Stephen's performance not only in the crossover but also over the eighth season so far. There's a lot of nuance to his acting and I'm impressed.

The falling action in Legends of Tomorrow didn't stop the flow of tears but the much needed lightness interspersed with the final battle ended up being a good mix. By the time they held the memorial I was literally laughing while sobbing. Not a good look for me but for the crossover an excellent ending. Seeds have been planted and it'll be fun to see how everything shakes out. I'm actually excited by the Earth Prime concept and I loved the voiceover from Oliver kind of laying the groundwork. By the time Barry unveiled the table and with it the hint of a Justice League story I was raring and ready for another crossover. Even if it'll be super weird without Oliver.

So … those are my random thoughts on what ended up being an emotional week of television viewing.

Tonight's post is from Every Last Drop, a bonus read featuring Effy and Jonah from Unlawful Acts.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A bonus scene where the last cup of coffee can make or break someone's day … depending on who gets to it first.

And a sneaky peek…

Effy exited the tiny bathroom—the type found in airplanes—and settled back down in her seat.
Jonah smirked. "Coffee goes right through you." He adjusted the camera angle on the second monitor.
Effy rolled her eyes. "Never been so glad not to have to leave the van to answer the call of nature." The recording unit kicked on and she picked up headphones, but placed them back on the small counter. "They're bitching about their takeout order."
Jonah noted the time in the logbook then turned to face Effy. "So … you're saying it was a good idea to hold out until the commissioner agreed to adding the head, right?" He'd gone to the mat to have the extra feature outfitted on their new mobile observation unit.
Effy shrugged. "Sure, it gives you some extra points." Her shoulders slumped. "Actually, having the shower included really bags you the bonus score. That's a nice bit of icing on the cake." Kicking back, she reached into her duffel and pulled out a deck of cards.
Jonah narrowed his gaze. "Should I be insulted?" Up until now, they'd been keeping up a steady stream of conversation.
Effy waggled her eyebrows. "Nope. Thought we might make things a little more lively." She nodded toward the empty thermos. "We should keep the full one in reserve or we'll both be ready for a nap before our shift ends." Shuffling the cards, she stacked them on the empty space between them. "What do you say? High card strip?" Her finger tapped the top of the deck.
Jonah hedged. "I say we've been really lucky. So far, no one is wise to our extracurricular activities … yet." He glanced at the cards, weighing the odds they wouldn't get caught in a compromising position … because their game wouldn't stop at taking clothes off. "We'll run a heavy risk if we engage at work." Again … the first time they hooked up had been in the locker room at the precinct.
Effy nodded. "You make a good point, but let me counter with this…" She turned over a two of clubs and placed it in front of him. "We've got proximity sensors around the van and outside the entrances of the townhouse…" She flipped another card over—a king of hearts—and shook her head. "We'll get an alert if anyone shows up outside here or at the residence." Her fingers edged the fabric of her T-shirt upward. "What do you say now?"
Jonah's lips curved in a wide smile. "I think unlawful acts are becoming the norm for us." He motioned with his hand for her to shed her shirt.
Effy grinned and yanked it over her head. "Thought you might get with the program." She dropped the garment on the floor and snagged another card.
The ace of spades.
Looked like he'd be losing an item of clothing this time…

I have a lot of fun writing bonus scenes. Sometimes revisiting characters at a different point in their relationship can be a nice little window into their status.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment