Sunday, May 24, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Excelling Anger

Another crazy weather week in Ohio. Warm, chilly, cold, hot. Seriously, I'm not putting anything seasonal away this year … just in case.

Not a bad week of television viewing. I'm almost finished with the Blue Heelers episode I started last week. I like this one. It's got some twisty turns in it.

Watched the Thanksgiving episode of Riverdale and got just a wee bit misty-eyed by the end. Anything to do with Fred and his presence on the show makes me happy though. The dinner from hell Cheryl and company hosted will go down as the most creeptastic but ultimately hysterical I've ever watched on television. Betty and Jughead's Charlie Brown Thanksgiving entertained me even if the cat and mouse with Brett and Donna didn't really shed much light on the situation at the prep school. I spent another episode wishing for Hiram to join Cheryl's family in whatever circle of hell will provide the most torture. I seriously hate the character. Time will tell if I can stomach next season with him in it or not. Chances are … not. Which is unfortunate.

Caught three more episodes of Danger Man. I needed a good background noise show and this one works well. I had several graphic images I needed to work on and it's nice to take a small break when needed and watch the action.

Started an episode of Roswell, New Mexico. This is a show where I enjoy the cat and mouse going on. I'm to the point where Maria discovered Rosa and thinks she's completely lost her mind. Really happy to see Cameron back and I hope she's not going to be some kind of double agent working the alien camp for intel to give to Papa Main. I'll be a little pissed if that's the case. Alex might have bitten off more than he can chew regarding his dad. I'll get more into my thoughts on Isabel next week. I kind of miss Kyle and hope he makes an appearance or has screen time in the next episode.

I also began something a little new but also very old. Listening to soundtracks while I work. Bear McCreary's music is awesome to have playing while writing or editing. I blew through the second and third season soundtracks for Battlestar Galactica this week.

Last, but not least, I finished up the Strike Back episode from last week. I had a feeling while writing my reaction in the last post of what would come but didn't want to dive too deeply into it because it hadn't happened yet. Yes, I'm being cryptic but I don't want to spoil anyone … and maybe I'm not quite ready to face the reality of being one character down. All I can say is stellar acting by every single character. Seriously.

The Strike Back: Declassified episode ended up being funny and poignant. Getting the reactions from the actors and hearing how they prepared ended up being a soothing balm after the gut-wrenching episode. Kudos to shows who do the behind the scenes interviews. I really miss that with Roswell, New Mexico this season.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Excelling Anger, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Fallon and Rook are pilots who excel at many things, but they've turned being angry with each other into a fine art. When they have to confront their issues, they rediscover how working together can have excellent results.

And a sneaky peek…

Rook shut his duty locker but didn't turn around. "Wondered how long it would take for you to pop up." Arms slid around his torso and he grinned.
Fallon gave him a tight hug and backed away. "A heads-up would've been nice." She tilted her head to one side when he faced her. "Your hands don't look injured. You can't call? Or send a back-channel message?" Her teasing tone eased the pinch of guilt he'd had.
He'd been ordered not to let her, or anyone else, know prior to the official notification.
Rook rolled a shoulder. "Where's the fun in that? Thought you liked surprises." She did when they'd served together before … especially when he got off shift and crawled into her rack.
Fallon glanced away. "Surprises aren't really a thing on Gamner's ship." She frowned but brightened immediately. "But seeing you is definitely great." Her arm swung out. "Nice new digs befitting your new role. Lots of space to move around." The newer ship gave the CAG single quarters.
Rook cracked a smile. "Lots of privacy too." He moved forward, grasping her hip with one hand. "Changes the dynamic a bit, yeah?" Their standing arrangement usually didn't afford actual alone time.
Fallon's lips curved in a wide smile. "Is that an invitation for me to give you a proper welcome later?" Her hands slid up his chest to wrap around his neck.
Rook dipped his head. "Proper welcomes are important, don't you think?"
Fallon tipped her chin up. "Absolutely. As are previews for the coming attraction." Her mouth ghosted along his jawline before meeting his lips.
Rook savored the contact. No one kissed the way Fallon did. She drove him crazy on a regular basis, but this … they always got the physical side of their relationship right.
And he'd never have another person like Fallon in his life. Someone he'd grown up with, who knew him as well as he knew her. A blessing and a curse but nothing he'd change.
Fallon ended the embrace. "Whew. Been a while. I'd almost forgotten what locking lips with you can do to a person." She fanned her face.
Rook pulled her flush against him. "I can say the same." The evidence of what their kiss did to him nudged against her belly. "I've missed you, Fallon."
She cupped his face and eased away. "Me too." Turning she headed for the hatch. "So … later? After midevening watch?" Her eyebrow quirked upward.
Rook nodded. "Sounds perfect. Until then."
She gave a jaunty salute and exited his quarters.
Rook grinned but sobered quickly. He didn't expect smooth sailing with this transfer. Tonight might be the only night they had before they landed on opposite sides.
Nothing unusual for them and maybe he'd be proven wrong just this once.

I'm excited about where this story is headed. I have the broad strokes mapped out and most of the details nailed down. Now for about five more hours in a day to really focus and write.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment