Sunday, June 28, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Fireworks

June is coming to a close and I can honestly say this feels like the longest effing year while at the same time the days are flying off the calendar. It's bizarre and baffling. 2020 is probably going to go down as the year I want to forget but won't be able to. LOL

Rather slow week of television but I did get a few things watched. I started with Kings of Broadway, a charity program on YouTube. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Started season three of Danger Man and thought it would be color episodes, but it's not yet. Enjoyed the first episode.

Caught another episode of Strike Back and Strike Back Declassified. I've only got two episodes left and then I'll have to start a rewatch because I love these characters so much.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers and look forward to seeing how it ends. I like this Aussie drama and have a feeling I'll be seeing a lot of familiar faces.

Watched another episode of Gargoyles. It's one I don't remember so it was nice to have something to sink into. I think I'm about a third of the way through the second season.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Fireworks, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Adelle Lizt and Zeth McKibbet are a volatile mix—neither gives quarter when they know they're right. But with two sides to every situation, they find some common ground in a very interesting place—the guest quarters on base.

And a sneaky peek…

Zander McKibbet pumped out a rapid set of leg presses. He'd been at his workout for close to an hour and finally found his groove. Fifteen more minutes and he'd call it a day.
"Hey, McKibbet! You've got a phone call." One of the trainers brought a wireless handset out to him.
Zander growled. "Are you kidding me? I'm in the middle of my reps." He did the final three of his set and snagged the handset. "What?" His terse tone should make the other person shake in their boots.
"Bro, I'm gonna fail flight school if you don't help me."
Okay, his brother wouldn't cower in fear, but he should've at least clocked the suck-ass timing. Keith had a copy of Zander's schedule. Hence calling him in the middle of his workout.
Giving up the hope of finishing, Zander got up and wiped down the leg press. "Keith, slow down and explain what happened." Finals didn't start until the following week.
Keith huffed out a frustrated breath. "You've got to talk sense into my flight instructor. The stupid bitch just informed me I'm done. She won't even let me take the finals."
Zander frowned. How did that work? An instructor couldn't bar a cadet from taking the final flight runs. Unless they had a damned good reason. And, frankly, this did not count as something he wanted to get sucked into even if he understood how upset Keith must be. Hell, I'm upset for him. But Keith needed to grow a pair and stand up for himself.
Zander exited the gym and headed for the locker room. "Keith, I'm not keen on getting between you and your flight instructor. If it was one of my old ones, I might be willing, but I'm not familiar with Lieutenant Lizt." Other than being up on her credentials, which were impeccable.
Keith made a garbled choking sound. "Trust me, you don't want to be. She's a rank bitch."
Zander stopped walking and held the handset away from his ear. That's the second time Keith trashed his instructor. All because she's a woman? Shaking his head, he tucked the receiver between his chin and shoulder to open the locker room door.
Keith's voice took on a note of desperation. "Zan? Zan, are you there?"
Zander stopped at his locker and pulled it open. "Yeah, what were you saying?" They'd have an in-depth conversation about Keith's misogyny later.
Keith gave an exasperated sigh. "I'm begging here, Zan. Please. I mean, come on, bro. You know how disappointed Dad will be if I don't get my wings."
Zander rolled his eyes. Maybe. But he'd also probably like it if Keith actually earned them. The gold pips didn't just get handed out because someone wanted them.
Stifling that train of thought, Zander caved. "Fine. I'll stop by the training facility and at least speak to her; see if she'll sway her decision." His brother crowed his relief. "No promises, Keith. I'll talk to her. That's it."
Keith signed off. "Thanks, man. I know you'll pull through for me."
Zander stared at the handset. "Don't count on it." But he'd give the request his best try.
Only because he'd had a few truly crappy instructors who went out of their way to break students. And they'd piled on him because of his dad.
Zander wouldn't let the same happen to Keith.

I have to say, I'm very pleased with how this story is coming together. The sibling dynamic is one of my favorite things to write and I love Zander and Keith.



That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment