Sunday, October 25, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Holly's Masquerade

Well, we're almost to the end of another month and I'm trying to contemplate what the final two months of 2020 is going to be like. Frankly, I can't do it. LOL And we still have a full moon to get through in October.

Had a slower than normal week for television. I'm honestly not in the mood to watch much and have been catching marathons on regular cable for the most part. Hallmark started their holiday fare and one of the books I copy edited is featured as a new movie this year. Last year, another book I copy edited had a premiere. That's always so exciting!

I did catch an episode or two of Silent Witness, but other than that, I mainly watch Ovation. I'm crossing my fingers they don't have a major programming change anytime soon. That happens so frequently for me. I fall in love with the line-up and all of a sudden, some new honcho comes in and effs it all up. I'm looking at you HGTV, SyFy, and BBC America. Or, I lose access to a channel that usually has classic stuff I really enjoy. Sigh.

Tonight's post is from Holly's Masquerade, a Specter Station novella. It's also a loosely themed holiday story.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Roman Holly can't believe how smoothly the transition to his new base of operations on Specter Station is going, but he has Isis Tango, his uber-efficient admin, to thank. She moves halfway across the galaxy to stay by his side and he's not quite sure why. But Isis will reveal her reason at the holiday masquerade and it will blow Roman's mind.

And a sneaky peek…

Roman Holly surveyed the exterior of the place he'd be making his new base of operations—Specter Station. "Soon to be home sweet home." His private transport made a banking sweep and smoothly docked inside the landing bay in one of the spots reserved for Holly Galactic Group.

His new partner, but one of his oldest friends, Maddox Specter assigned seven bays for Roman's fleet of spacecraft.

"Maddox always goes overboard." Roman would maybe use two, three at most. "Unless I figure out a way to be in different places at the same time, I can only be on one ship in any given moment." He snagged his bag and disembarked to zero fanfare. "Huh, not what I expected." Pausing at the end of the ramp, he looked around for his ever-efficient admin, Isis.

Maddox skidded around the corner and stumbled to a halt. "Roman, you're a little early." His breath rasped out and he made an effort to straighten his tie.

Roman laughed. "And you were obviously otherwise occupied." He looked past Maddox's shoulder to see Juna Newberry—the station's head of security and Maddox's newly minted significant other—breezing down the causeway in the opposite direction.

Maddox smirked. "I can neither confirm nor deny that accusation." He chuckled and thrust out his palm. "Welcome to your new home, Ro. I'm so glad you're here."

Roman clasped Maddox's palm and pulled him into a side-arm hug. "Me, too. We should've done this years ago." His gaze went to the corridor that led to the main hub of the station.

Still no admin. Why isn't she here? Isis Tango made punctuality a fine art. Not like her to miss his arrival. Maddox led the way toward the main hub and kept up a running commentary. Roman listened with half an ear, concern over Isis making him distracted.

Maybe the move got to her and she hates it here. A stab of guilt hit him. He'd basically assumed she'd be okay moving across the galaxy to keep working for him.

"Maybe I should've asked her first?"

Maddox paused outside the lift leading to the office suites. "Ask who what first?" His eyebrow arched.

Roman shook his head. "Eh, nothing. A little worried Isis isn't with you." Then again, considering what Maddox had been up to, might be better—

Maddox smacked a hand on his forehead. "Aw, damn, totally my fault. I was supposed to stop by and let her know before I came down." A sheepish look crossed his face.

Roman lifted his chin. "Don't blame you for getting off track. If I had someone like Juna nearby, I'd probably never get any work done."

Maddox snorted. "Are you kidding? Isis puts Wanda to shame and Wanda isn't human."

Maddox used an advanced AI computer to keep him on target, his schedule organized, and pretty much run his life on the station.

The doors opened and they entered the lift.

Roman grinned. "Isis does have superb skill. And she's much nicer to look at than Wanda." Not that the life-like droid could be called unattractive.

Maddox nodded. "True. And, no doubt, Isis is buried in all the details for the Holly Masquerade you're throwing to launch the holiday season and celebrate your new venture with yours truly." Maddox keyed in the code for Roman's new office suite.

Roman inclined his chin. "You're probably right. She does get lost in making certain everything is crossed, dotted, and signed for." His stomach rumbled and he crossed to the panel beside the door. "Think I'll order in some dinner and surprise Isis." He glanced up. "Want to join us?"

Maddox smirked. "Thanks, but no. I'll be otherwise occupied with my head of security." A wide grin spread across his face.

Roman snorted and entered in an order to be delivered to his office. At the same time, he tamped down a niggle of concern over the move and how it affected his admin.

If all goes well, I'll be able to release this series next year. Yay!


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment