Sunday, September 5, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Poetry in Motion

Wow. September snuck up on me even though I've been talking about how close August was to ending. 2021 is a weird year, just saying.

Had a solid week of working with a potential new project coming in and several more lurking in the wings. I finished up a great manuscript and can't wait for the book to release. It featured a tornado!

Not a bad week of television. I started with Master Class with LeVar Burton and lesson eight with focused on performative storytelling. I love watching LeVar break down how he approaches telling and sharing stories.

Watched two episodes of Inside the Episodes: The Witcher. The shows broke down episodes two and three. It's very interesting to go back and see where the production side of things is coming from after seeing the entire first season. I'm really looking forward to season two.

Caught two episodes of Berlin Live. The first featured Blondie and I thoroughly enjoyed the string of hits minus one of my very faves. Boy George and Culture Club also put on a great show and I'm love diving back into some music from my formative years.

Enjoyed another episode of Star Trek: Discovery. I'm slowly getting to know the characters and I'm starting to like how everything is coming together. Really interesting to see a character from Star Trek: TOS. Looking forward to seeing if anything comes from that.

Watched another episode of Chicago Med and ended up really liking it. I'm once again really happy to finally be able to watch this show from the beginning and fill in so many blanks.

Caught another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I love this quirky and fun show even though there's always a murder to solve. As I've mentioned before, having characters that pop up with frequency makes me happy.

Finished out the second episode of Silent Witness. I'm getting toward the end of season twelve. I think I've got four more episodes to go. I'm also remembering why I really liked this show when I watched it the first time.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers. This one feature country music, which I always find interesting when it's in another country.

Finished out season eighteen of Classic Who and Four's tenure. Five is taking over the controls of the Tardis and I'm looking forward to seeing his take on the Doctor.

Started UFO Conspiracies and it's not bad. I'm always interested in digging into what other countries experience with UFO sightings and this series seems to include those takes.

Watched two more episodes of The Muppet Show. Lesley Ann Warren and Danny Kaye were the guest stars. Very fun episodes.

Caught another episode of Prime Suspect and finished out the first season. I'll start season two this week.

Peak Practice had an interesting episode and I enjoyed it. Andrew definitely has some issues and I like how the show is exploring them.

That finishes up this week's television update. Tonight's post is from Poetry in Motion, a sexy short that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Ian Flannigan, a talented athlete, wants to take the crown on the planetary Sky Dawg circuit. But when he inadvertently causes the death of a competitor, he has to decide if he can keep it together enough to win, which won't be easy with the coach's daughter constantly pushing for him to lose control.

And a sneaky peek…

"A little hard on him, weren't you?"

Reagan shrugged. "He deserved it."

Ramsey studied his daughter. "It eats at you, doesn't it? You want him so badly but can't—won't—change your mind about your rules." Ramsey tsked. "And he won't play by 'em."

Reagan got up. "I'm so not having this conversation with you, Ram." She stalked toward the door.

Ramsey got off another shot. "He's not Stuart. You'd do well to remember that, Reg."

She sucked in a harsh breath. "Low blow, Dad." She did not want to discuss her asshole ex.

Ramsey shrugged. "Maybe. But you needed to hear it." His voice gentled. "Stuart Abercrombie twisted you up and turned you inside out."

Reagan slowly made her way back to the bench and sat down. "He used me."

Ramsey nodded. "That, too." He met Reagan's gaze. "But you set him straight—and showed him the door when he thought to keep his spot on the team because he warmed your bed."

Reagan rolled her eyes. "Geez, Ram. Can we not talk about this?" She shook her head. "You know way too much about my sex life."

He snorted. "Reagan, it's hard not to. The circuit's a close-knit group. An incestuous bunch on a bad day. I usually know within hours when you hook up with someone new—people can't wait to keep me informed—but I give you your space and keep my mouth shut."

She couldn't resist a sarcastic comeback. "Yeah, thanks for that, Dad."

Ramsey sent her a level look and lifted a brow.

Reagan backed down. "Okay. You're right." She tilted her head. "But I don't have to like the fact you are." She paused a moment. "And why stick your nose in now? With Ian?"

Ramsey gave it to her straight. "Because he's got it bad for you and you need to back off and let him figure shit out on his own." He cut deeper. "You don't help when you pull the bitch card and club him over the head with it."

The accusation hurt … but she could see his point. "Fine. I'll quit jamming him up." She dropped her gaze to her hands, twisting her fingers together. "I just wanted to see if I could get Ian to lose it … just once."

Ramsey chuckled. "Reagan, my girl, if and when Ian decides to step up and let go, you'll know. He's got some decisions to make and a path to choose. Hell, when he puts his foot on the road to victory, everyone'll know."

Reagan muttered. "I hope you're right, Dad."

Ramsey snorted. "Trust me on this, Reg. He's headed in the right direction."

Her father had never called it wrong. He'd known Stuart didn't have the chops from day one … but gave the jackass a chance anyway.

I love, love, love writing Reagan and Bruce's family dynamic. They don't have a typical father / daughter relationship and I really want and hope that comes through.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment