Sunday, September 12, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Power Play

Ugh, so far September is kicking my butt. I've been down with the flu pretty much all week because of course I haven't had a chance to get a flu shot yet. Lots of chills, fever, aches, and long slogs of sleep. Here's hoping I'm over the hump and on my way to recovery.

Very slow week in television. I started the week with New Rugrats and thoroughly enjoyed both episodes.

Also caught another episode of Chicago Med. I think this might be my favorite of all the Chicago shows.

Watched another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. Once again, this show makes me so happy. A great mystery that had a few twists.

Started another two-parter of Silent Witness and vaguely remembered the first episode.

Enjoyed the first arc of Five's run on Classic Who. So far, I have to admit I like the trio of companions and how they're interacting with each other and the doctor.

Caught the second episode of UFO Conspiracies. I'm enjoying how the stories are presented in this series. There's a theme and the conspiracy revolves around it, with usually at least two different scenarios.

Watched two more episodes of The Muppet Show. Spike Milligan and Leslie Uggams were the guest stars, along with a special appearance by Big Bird.

Last but not least, I started the second season of Prime Suspect. I'd forgotten just how messy Jane could make things and I'm enjoying that angle.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Power Play, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Hailey March, a dedicated officer, receives a plum assignment she's wanted for a long time. But when she has to give orders to Rab McKee, she must ignore their long friendship, which is impossible because she needs him on her side.

And a sneaky peek…

Why didn't Rab get it?

Ha! Because she had her head so twisted around, she didn't know which end pointed up. And if she didn't know … how could he?

Well, shit. She wanted to explain so badly, but her conversation with Kidwell took prominence in her mind.

"Do you understand your orders, Captain?" Admiral Kidwell asked her newly appointed CAG.

Hailey gave a quick nod. "Yes, Sir." The rank sounded foreign to her ears.

She hadn't anticipated making it past lieutenant. Not unless they lost half the crew of the Kalliope. Frankly, at this rate with Kidwell in charge, they might.

The admiral rose. "Good. I'm glad we reached this understanding." She waited for Hailey to stand before continuing. "It goes against my better judgment, but as long as you keep your former CAG on the right track, you can have him for the mission."

Hailey snapped off a crisp salute. "Yes, Sir." Easier said than done, but she'd find a way.

Admiral Kidwell nodded. "Dismissed."

Hailey maintained her military posture and composure until she exited Kidwell's quarters. Once the hatch slid shut, she heaved a sigh then drew in a shaky breath and collapsed against the bulkhead. She'd made it through her meeting with the admiral and came out with almost everything she wanted. No easy feat. A shrewd woman, Kidwell didn't negotiate. She ran roughshod over everyone and steamrolled anyone who didn't fall in. The woman rarely made any kind of concession, yet she'd let Hailey present her case and accepted her reasons for wanting Rab McKee on her team. Taking a hands-off approach to Kidwell's treatment of Ty and Hibbs seemed a small price to pay. Until she had to face Rab and not say anything about why.

Who the hell am I kidding? This is impossible.

Hailey had so many plates spinning in the air she considered it lucky only one had fallen so far. But the one she wanted and needed still kept spinning and she couldn't exactly inform Rab. She had to find a way to make him get on board.

Or everything she'd set in motion would crash and burn.

This is a little different from my standard and I'm enjoying weaving things together in a slightly altered way. Hailey and Rab are going to face some internal and external obstacles and I love writing the outcome.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment