Sunday, June 5, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Wings Get Clipped

Welcome June! Seriously, I feel like I'm still floating around back in March. The months are flying by right now.

Had a weird week of struggling to focus and I couldn't tell you why I ended up being so distracted. That drives me insane.

Decent viewing week. I only went through one round of my usual streaming services again and I'm actually kind of okay with that. Sometimes I need a bit of a break and can use the quiet time.

I did get another episode of The Snoopy Show watched and enjoyed it. I like to think the whole Peanuts gang has a special place in the hearts of GenX. At least it does for me.

I finished up Loch Ness and actually quite enjoyed the series. The twists and turns ended up panning out better than I'd hoped. Definitely glad I watched this one.

Caught the second part of Silent Witness and loved the twistiness of this two-parter. I also love that there wasn't a shiny bow on the end. Good stuff.

Started a new arc of Classic Who and I'm kind of interested in how this one plays out. Again, I notice how much Mel ends up screaming. It's a thing.

Watched another episode of Most Terrifying Places in America. At some point, I'd love to see a series where the ghosts and ghouls are actually friendly and helpful. That said, I love seeing the interviews with people who experienced the creepy creatures. Pure gold.

Enjoyed another episode of The Mandalorian. I love the pacing and the little bits of information that turn up and reveal themselves. Good stuff.

Caught another episode of The Hardy Boys. Gotta say Joe is beginning to annoy me but I'm hoping there's a reason he's being such a prat. Fenton's storyline is getting interesting and I love that the grown-ups get some random fleshing out.

Watched another episode of Peak Practice and enjoyed the storylines. It feels like some groundwork is being laid for future seasons and I'm liking that.

Finished up a MasterClass series with Neil deGrasse Tyson. While it wasn't as in depth as I thought it would be, I did get a lot of his lessons. Not sure what I'll start next, but I'm leaning toward Roxane Gay's series.

Caught another The Babysitter's Club and thoroughly enjoyed. I'm glad they're adding another sitter to the club and I really like how they're featuring the members.

Watched another episode of the Ready Room and liked the interview with James Frain. I like his character and it's nice to get some insight into the complicated relationships he has with his family.

Started season five of Chicago Med and I'm sad to say good-bye to Connor. I do love how they sent him off, especially the farewells he had with Goodwin and his mentor. The Will and Nat storyline is one I'm a little on the fence with. I'm really not down with the interloper making conflict, but I'll reserve judgment. Maggie is breaking my heart.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Wings Get Clipped, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

In the middle of a war, a long-standing personal vendetta comes to light against Schuler Grace and Gren Gambolina's commanding officer and it puts the two soldiers directly in the line of fire. Fighting the enemy within, while doing battle with their adversaries on the warfront, Schuler and Gren form an unbreakable bond to see them through their biggest challenge.

And a sneaky peek…

Schuler Grace sat next to her fellow squadron leader Gren Gambolina in their commanding officer's quarters. Commodore David Wharton spoke quietly into his comm set, the call interrupting their daily briefing.

She slid her gaze toward Gren. "Do you know what's up?" Wharton rarely let anything sidetrack him from his schedule.

Gren rolled a shoulder. "No idea. But it's important or he wouldn't have taken the call."

A valid and true point. After an active operation, Wharton literally scheduled time for outside calls and didn't deviate from that designated block unless something—or someone—took a top priority. Schuler didn't want to speculate too much, especially after they'd had a successful campaign and pushed the enemy raiders back behind the asteroid system. Wharton pulled a page from a very old playbook and the tactic worked.

Too much to hope his call came from the top brass with congratulations. The commodore wouldn't have taken it, not when he had his two top squadron leaders in a briefing.

Wharton replaced the handset. "Sorry for the interruption. We're going to have to shift topics here." Placing his hands on his desk, he took a moment before lifting his gaze to meet his two leaders' squarely. "I've just received word we'll have a new addition to the command structure. Admiral Marcus Shellan has been named the supreme commander of the Andromeda theater and will be headed our way."

Gren blinked. "I thought the admiral was commanding in the Triangulum theater. We're holding our own here. Why make the move now?"

Schuler echoed his question. "Yeah. We finally have the Mandanirs behind the asteroid system. If we hold them there, mining can start on the moon." Why bring in a top gun at this stage?

Wharton lifted his chin. "There's more to the maneuver than how well we're holding our own or not." He let out a sigh. "I'm gonna give it to you two straight. The admiral and I have a history and it's not one I like to revisit."

Schuler bit her tongue to keep a gasp from escaping. Wharton loved history. He conducted impromptu classes on the subject to anyone willing to participate. Saying he didn't like to meant something big had gone down between the men.

Gren held up a hand. "Look, sir, if this isn't something you want to get in to, we'll understand."

Wharton shook his head. "No, you need a heads-up. Things are going to get very tricky when Shellan arrives." He leaned back and folded his arms over his chest. "The admiral's daughter died under my command about ten years ago. We were stationed on a remote outpost and the Shiites launched a sneak attack." He frowned. "She got caught in the crossfire when she threw herself in front of me and didn't survive the trip home."

Schuler huffed out a breath. "Wow." A loss for certain. "That's terrible."

The Shiites were defeated not long after that attack on the outpost.

Gren went more practical with his response. "She remembered her training. Protect the command. We're all taught that's a possibility."

Wharton grunted. "Doesn't matter. Shellan blames me regardless of the fact we were shutting that anchorage down and moving to a new location or that Anni had just made lieutenant and volunteered to stay because she wanted the experience. He throws up every roadblock he can to hold me back or mess with my command." He straightened. "To that end, you two can expect new orders, and be prepared because he'll attempt to have you act as spies by giving him information about how I operate."

Schuler frowned. "Why us?" Did the admiral not realize Wharton had a loyal crew?

Wharton relaxed his stance. "Because you're my best and Shellan will use that."

Schuler already hated the guy. "He can try, sir." She slid her gaze toward Gren.

He had his eyes narrowed. "How long until the admiral arrives?"

Wharton snorted. "The communication liaison said TBD. Which means we'll know when he wants us to and not a moment before. He'll do a full inspection of the ship within five minutes of arrival."

Schuler's mouth dropped open. "In the middle of a war zone?" What kind of fuckery would that create?

Wharton shrugged. "He'll do as he pleases." He pinned them with his gaze. "And making me squirm pleases him. A lot."

Gren lifted his chin. "Then let's not give him the satisfaction of making you dance a jig."

Schuler agreed. "Exactly. We'll start getting everyone shipshape immediately."

Wharton got to his feet. "Much appreciated. You're dismissed."

Schuler had a list before they hit the hatch on the way out. Gren gave her a nod and they parted ways at the junction of the corridor. She loved how she didn't even need to confer with him. They'd meet in the training room after they gave their squadrons notice.

I like where this story is going … I finally found the thread I wanted to carry through the whole thing.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment