Sunday, July 24, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Yank the Chain

Whew. What a day. But I had a great week. I'm getting ready to start a very exciting new project and moving along on another one. I also got to spend three days with one of my friends at a gorgeous Airbnb not far from where I live.

Actually stayed pretty much caught up on my regular viewing schedule—watching ahead a little definitely helped.

Started a new Classic Who arc and kind of enjoyed the storyline. Looking forward to seeing what happens this week.

Watched another episode of Most Terrifying Places in America. This one had Devil's Playground as the title and it kind of fit based on the anecdotes.

Caught the second episode of Moon Knight and enjoyed it. I like the series so far and look forward to another episode.

Enjoyed another episode of Harrow. I have two episodes left and I'm pretty interested in seeing how they play out. I loved the mention of the two big bads from the earlier seasons. I'm glad someone finally kind of connected those dots.

Watched another episode of Blue Heelers and things took a turn I didn't expect, which is always fun. Looking forward to the next episode.

Completed another MasterClass with Roxane Gay. She focused on research this time and, again, I got some good ideas from her lesson.

Caught another episode of The Babysitter's Club. I like the new girls and I love how much growth Christy showed. Actually, all the girls showed some growth and it's terrific to see.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. Oddly, they were very Angelica-centric which I didn't remember.

Watched an episode of Chicago Med and enjoyed it, even if it ended up being a little soap-operaish. I did like the way the storylines played out.

Finished up the opening epsiodes of Batman: the Animated Series. Looking forward to really diving back into this series.

Started season three of Driven, a Passionflix original series. Terrific premiere episode. I'm excited to see where things go from this point.

Also caught another episode of The Snoopy Show. This one had a great mix of the characters and each vignette had great humor.

That's pretty much it for the life update. Tonight's post is from Yank the Chain, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When pilot Riley Wang refuses to cave in and sleep with an arrogant major, she ends up in hack a week before graduation from flight school. Moss Mordecai bails her out, but keeps her from going after her superior officer. If Riley wants back on the roster, she needs a plan and spending more time in the brig isn't a good one.

And a sneaky peek…

Moss adjusted the volume on the hand-held unit. "Stay on task, Riley. Don't let him throw you." He witnessed everything from a good angle via the camera she had attached to her uniform and the small unit above the window over the door.

His blood boiled when Cabella confirmed he'd revoked her privilege. What an asshole.

Riley kept her cool and walked through everything as planned. "Look, I apologize. I should respect the rank." She stood at ease, but had her hands folded behind her back.

Moss snorted. "Even if you can't respect the man." But … as predicted, Cabella puffed out his chest and grunted an agreement.

Riley moved ahead with the script. "And I want to be clear. I'll be back on the roster if I agree to sleep with you?" She made it a question, hopefully to get a verbal confirmation.

Cabella gave her a leering look. "I'll consider reinstating you, yes." He used a smug tone.

Riley shook her head. "Not good enough." She'd prepared for a sneaky maneuver. "Here's my suggestion. We arrange a date of time for our assignation, but I want to see my name on the schedule for the day after." She lifted her chin. "If it's not there, I won't show."

Moss leaned forward, intent on the small screen in his hands.

The major's lips thinned to a flat line, but he gave a nod. "Fine. But we're not going to drag this out. I'm free after 1900. I expect you at my quarters by 1915." He folded his arms over his chest, indicating he wouldn't budge on the timing.

Riley balked. "Then I expect to find my name on the roster no later than 1600. If it's not there, I'm not meeting with you." She didn't flinch and she didn't look away from Cabella.

Moss smirked. "Way to go, Riley. Nail that bastard down." He fist-pumped the air.

Cabella gave her an oily smile. "It'll be there." He reached out, grasped her shoulder, and moved her close. "Time to seal our little bargain." His face moved forward and he clamped his mouth over hers.

Moss almost dropped the hand-held. "Oh, fuck, no." He barely restrained from barreling out of the arms locker and into the briefing room.

He couldn't blow Riley's cover. No matter how much he wanted to punch the colonel in the face.

I love how this story is coming together. Riley and Moss make a great team and they're so much fun to write.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment