Sunday, July 31, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Yanking the Pipe

Well, July kind of blew right by. It's been a busy month with a lot going on and that always makes the days seem to speed along.

Had a decent week finishing up a work project and making some solid headway on a couple of my personal projects. This is on top of having one kid in NYC and another that landed in the ED then got admitted to the hospital for three days and two nights. Thankfully, he's doing okay.

Actually got a lot of viewing completed also. I'm currently watching The Force Awakens. It's kind of a rewatch, but I haven't seen the whole movie from start to finish … ever. I've always come in at weird random places so I've seen the whole thing, but not in chronological order. I'm strange that way.

Also caught another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. This one had a very interesting twisty mystery and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Watched the second half of Silent Witness and kind of loved where it ended up going. I like the way the two-part episodes are playing out right now.

Enjoyed another episode of Classic Who. Ace keeps growing on me. I love her as the companion for the Doctor. There's way less screaming, which is a bonus.

Caught another episode of Most Terrifying Places in America. This one focused on ghostly encounters and I enjoyed it.

Watched another episode of Moon Knight. Honestly, I kind of love this show. It's a little campy, which keeps the darker aspect of the storyline in check. It works for me and I love it.

Ended up enjoying another episode of The Hardy Boys. There are a lot of twists and turns this season and some have worked better than others. Joe truly annoyed the crap out of me but I think they might pull all that together by the end of the season.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice. I ended up enjoying the less soap-operaish storyline this week.

Enjoyed another MasterClass lesson with Roxane Gay. This week she talked about revisions, editing, and proofreading. I love that phase of writing and I loved what she had to say about her methods. She's also not a big fan of the phrase kill your darlings. I've never liked that one and it's nice to have someone like Roxane say she doesn't either.

Watched another episode of The Babysitter's Club. I'm honestly so disappointed there won't be another season of this show. It's really coming together in this second season.

Caught an episode of The Ready Room. This one featured Shazad Latif and I completely enjoyed the interview. He had some great insight.

Enjoyed the second episode of Driven. Tawny can die in a fire and that would make me really happy. Not sure I like the dude or, well, possibly dudette following Riley. Becks makes me very happy. I love this series so much.

Watched another episode of Chicago Med. I'm so surprised Will kind of shut Natalie down. Not that it wasn't deserved, but I was surprised nonetheless. Glad to see Maggie might not lose Ben. I'm seriously not sure what the hell is going on with April. Should be in for some interesting future episodes.

Caught another episode of Batman: The Animated Series. This is probably my all-time favorite animated show ever. I'm happy I'm rewatching again.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Yanking the Pipe, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Sammie Shields and Firth Fairmountain have fun yanking the pipe—pulling anonymous pranks—until one of their fellow soldiers gets injured. Their commanding officer gives them a choice—transfer to a marine unit to learn discipline or get busted down a rank. Sammie opts for demotion, but Firth chooses the alternate and finds a new mission, which Sammie struggles to accept.

And a sneaky peek…

Firth reported to Gunnery Sergeant Glenn Marxon. "Transfer papers, Gunny." He kept his back straight and his head high.

Marxon gave grunt. "Didn't think you had the stones. Figured you demote down to lieutenant." He initialed the orders and stuffed them into his file.

Firth held his stance. "I think the transfer will do me good. And I expect you to put me through my paces." He actually wanted to be so tired by the end of the day he couldn't think.

The gunny scoffed. "I don't want someone who can't be a team player." He jabbed a finger in Firth's shoulder. "And it's obvious you're not."

Firth point-blank made a commitment. "Not yet. But I can be." He met Marxon's gaze. "My rank will be checked at the door. I made a choice. To come and learn." The words settled in his mind and strengthened his resolve. "It's not about guilt or trying to prove my dad wrong." The decision started that way, but Firth craved something different and new.

Not that he'd ever give up flying, but a different path couldn't hurt for a while.

Glenn studied Firth for several long moments. "You're wrong about that. Guilt is riding your ass and you'll always have something to prove to your old man." He relaxed his stance. "But if you can pull your weight and show you can have the unit's back for one week, we'll be golden and I'll follow your orders as captain of this regiment for however long it lasts." Marxon stepped up toe-to-toe with Firth. "But if you fuck me or anyone else over, or if you try any of that yanking the pipe shit, the commander won't have a body to bury." His tone didn't indicate anything less than seriousness.

Firth held the gunny's gaze several moments before giving a terse nod. "Your point's made." He put his eyes straight ahead. "Will there be anything else, Gunny?"

Marxon grunted an approval. "We do daily calisthenics at 0500. Don't be late."

Firth lifted his chin. "0500. I'll be here." He turned to head for the exit.

Marxon caught up with him. "Study this. It's our unofficial playbook. If you come prepared, you'll have a better shot at a smooth transition." He handed over a thick binder.

Firth tucked it under his arm and left the room. This wouldn't be an easy ride, but the injured crewman bothered him. He'd take the wake-up call and strive to do things right.

Even if he had to go it alone with no Sammie in sight.

I honestly love writing this story. Firth and Sammie have some personal issues to work through and having them on opposite sides is fun to write.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment