Sunday, October 30, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Advocate for the Defense

Happy Almost Halloween! Gotta say it's been a week. Several work projects hit at once—which I'm not complaining about—and a couple of disasters decided to show up on my doorstep. It's been a low-bandwidth week for me.

I didn't get a lot of viewing time in, mainly due to the work projects and the distractions form the washing machine going kaput, a trip to the ED for one of my grown kiddos, and having another one out of town and calling to check in several times.

I did get a few things watched. Finished up the Umbrella Academy and, wow, didn't quite expect how things went down. Looking forward to seeing the next episode.

Caught some Classic Rugrats with the Thanksgiving episode. I'd actually forgotten about this one and I'm glad I got to watch it again. I might have to set up a bit of countdown and try to catch all the holiday episodes between now and the solstice.

Watched another Batman: The Animated Series. It's always fun when they have Alfred step out of his comfort zone and this episode definitely makes him stray. That's two in a row and I'm here for it.

Enjoyed an episode of Ted Lasso. I love Roy and Keeley so much. Nate is getting a wee bit annoying. Jamie is … I'm not sure. If he doesn't act like a raging ass, I might be able to stomach seeing him. LOL

Caught another episode of Suspects and loved how it all came together. Some really interesting bits popped and I love the pacing. Great show.

I started another episode of Endeavor but I'll have to finish it when I have higher brain capacity. It has a focus on the space race and I love that.

Watched the second part of Silent Witness and whew, this one ended up being very twisty. Kind of bummed about how it ended but not surprised.

Enjoyed another Classic Who episode. I like the setting for this arc and look forward to the next episode.

Sci Fi Science looked into how to blow up a planet. Had a lot of fun watching this episode. I love so much that fans are featured in each episode.

Started the next episode of Ms. Marvel and love it so far. I'm hoping to finish it up in the near future.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Advocate for the Defense, a novella that puts a problem pilot in the hands of her biggest rival to determine her future.

Here's a mini-blurb:

Jada Link has self-sabotage down to an art form and she gets into trouble on a regular basis. But when she needs an advocate to get out of her latest scrape, she meets the one person who can make her career ... and possibly find his way into her heart—Quince Lazenby.

And a sneaky peek…

Passed. Graduated. Shipped out. Everything she'd ever wanted. At least since she'd taken control of her life and applied for the cadet program.

Letting a little hope in, she nodded. "Okay. Keep my nose clean for three weeks." She met his gaze. "Could you define what that means, exactly?" She probably shouldn't test his patience, but the devil on her shoulder nudged her to do so.

Quince narrowed his eyes. "It means no fighting, no tempting fate by pointing out any officer's flaws—personal or otherwise, and keeping your opinions to yourself, even if they're probably right." He paused, his mouth curving into a grin. "Work hard, keep your head down, and pass your qualifications so you can graduate. That's it."

Jada blew out a breath. "Whew. That's a tall order." She slowly got to her feet. "But I won't let you down." She thrust her palm forward to seal her vow.

Quince tucked her file under his arm and clasped her hand. "I'm going to hold you to this. We'll meet here the day after tomorrow and go over the process for the hearing." He squeezed her fingers. "Until then, stay the course."

A warm bolt of sensation traveled up her arm even after he let go of her hand.

She made a sound of agreement but couldn't speak if she'd tried at that moment. The clash of reality with her perceptions of him merged into an appealing picture. And she liked the visual splash of he painted in her mind.

She liked Quince. Five years older, but that didn't keep her from being very attracted to him. She had his entire jacket memorized, because she considered him competition and the standard she wanted to achieve. Meeting him only made her determination stronger.

And … he'd seen through her stubbornness but didn't push until she made him. She respected his approach to working with her. She also admired his ability to issue directives without being a dick about it.

And aside from passing, graduating, and shipping out … she actually wanted him. What would he think if she pushed the envelope? Did she dare find out?

The devil on her shoulder cackled gleefully. Hell, yes.

Meeting his gaze again, she posed her question. "So … after everything is settled? Do you think you and I could…" She trailed off only because the words have sex wouldn't leave her brain and she couldn't be that bold.

Quince lifted a brow. "What? Hook up?" He hesitated a moment. "You don't really know me."

Jada flushed, but pushed onward. "And that's a problem, why? I don't have to have your whole life story. I know enough to like what I see. We'd be a good match." She had his life story, but he didn't know that … and he definitely didn't have hers.

Quince tilted his head to the side. "Possibly." He straightened. "No, we probably would be." He gave a nod. "I'm in. But … graduation has to come first."

Jada let a slow smile curve her lips. "Looking forward to both."

And she actually thought she might make it to the big event now.

Quince made his way to the door. "Day after tomorrow. Don't forget. We'll meet here before the hearing."

She lifted her chin. "I'll be ready."

Even if she had to make nice with Browers until then.

I'm happy with how this story is coming together. It's going down a slightly different path and I like how that's working so far.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment