Sunday, January 8, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Close Quarters (Scorched Galaxy)

Well, the first week of 2023 is in the books and we're off to a wild start. Here's hoping the weird and bizarre world stage eventually settles in to what's supposed to be the Age of Aquarius. I have my fingers crossed.

Had a busy work week with multiple projects being added to my schedule. I'm excited to get started on them! The weather did it's usually mild temperatures dropping down to cold ones. I'm okay with the cold … if it stays cold.

Had an okay viewing week. I'm still continuing my rewatch of Batman: The Animated Series. I think I'll have it completed before HBOMax removes it from screening. Then I'll probably start back on my usual schedule.

I finished up the second season, which had a strong finish with "The Terrible Trio," "Showdown," "Catwalk," "A Bullet for Bullock," and "The Lion and the Unicorn," which is one of my favorites because it dives into Alfred's backstory.

Season three begins with "Holiday Knights," which is a favorite holiday-themed episode. I do wonder and can't remember if it ended up being shown out of order in the original run. I'm too lazy to check Imdb to find out.

I have some feelings about the drastic change in animation style for season three. There are a few things I really enjoy, but I'm not a fan of the reimagined villains or the complete total makeover they gave Bruce. I am fond of the updated storylines, moving Dick Grayson to Nightwing and adding Tim Drake. I left off on "Joker's Millions" and should finish that episode this week.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Close Quarters, the second book to the Scorched Galaxy series, an epic space saga and so much fun to write.

Here's the mini-blurb:

After trying to outmaneuver their crew mates who bet on whether they'd ever hook up, Molly and Sloan discover an abiding love and embark on a committed relationship. Their biggest problem? Trying to figure out how to live in close quarters without making each other insane.

And a sneaky peek…

Three days later, Sloan grabbed the last two boxes from their quarters and started for Molly's newly assigned office space. The deck crew had converted one of the empty cargo holds on C-Deck into two new offices. Only Molly had been allotted to use one for the moment, the other was being held in reserve until necessary to use.

Sloan huffed out a breath. "I wonder how many more alterations we'll see on the MacGregor?" He had a feeling there'd be a bunch.

As for Molly's space, her area had room for a desk, three chairs, and filing cabinets—not very big. Right now, she worked out of boxes and the fact didn't please her. She wanted to spread out and get back into the thick of things with weeding out the new recruits.

He shifted his grip on the boxes. "A massive undertaking and a new class has to be set by the end of the week."

As it looked right now, they had enough interested candidates for two full classes and that included the applicants already disqualified. Considering only 100,000 or so people remained of their former life, kind of amazing there were so many willing prospects. But how many could make the transition? Hopefully enough or they'd have big problems.

He shook his head as he rounded the corner of the entry. "Hey, what are you doing?" He found Molly standing on a ladder trying to reach the light fixture on the ceiling in her office.

She had a light bulb between her lips and both hands occupied with the fixture.

He set the boxes down and quickly strode over to steady the swaying ladder. "Molls, we have technicians specifically trained in the most effective method of changing light bulbs." A lame observation, but he grinned up at her.


I love these characters so much. Molly and Sloan go through a lot with their fellow characters and they have a lot to figure out.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment