Sunday, January 29, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Come Back to Me

I had a jam-packed week of setting up a new PC and transferring files while trying to also stay on top of my work projects. In all honesty, I can't complain about the process. Of course, things went wrong because that's how it always goes. I didn't have the right cable to connect my monitor to the tower, but I found one in my stash of never-throw-away-this-type-of-thing pile of stuff I keep for that sole purpose. And once I figured out how to configure the network, transferring files has gone pretty smooth. I have a couple of final things to work out but I can take some time to do that stuff.

Didn't watch a lot of television because I needed to focus and my desk had several variations before I got the final layout figured out.

I did finish out season three of Batman: The Animated Series. I'm happy I got it done before the great wipeout from all existence. The episodes to complete the series were "Judgment Day," which I loved, "Beware the Creeper," which I also kind of enjoyed, and "Mad Love," which seems like a weird episode to end on because it's all about the Joker and Harley, but it's actually a terrific endcap for the series, because it's also about the role Batman plays in that relationship.

I also started a Battlestar Galactica rewatch with one of my best friends. We're doing weekly viewings and we've started with the miniseries. There were so many little things I'd forgotten and a lot of iconic stuff I definitely remembered. This show had such an impact on me and I'm kind of excited and terrified to travel on the journey again. LOL

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Come Back to Me, a novella that explores what happens after a couple reunites but a blast from the past returns to possibly wreak havoc.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tania and James love each other deeply but have a complicated relationship. When Tania has a chance to right a wrong, James has to trust she'll keep her promise to come back to him.

And a sneaky peek…

James didn't want the conversation to end and Tania didn't disappoint.

Tania tucked her feet under her thighs. "Denny couldn't adjust, knowing on a deep level I would always love you." She glanced away. "And I'm ashamed to admit it, but I catted around. Mainly because I couldn't settle. I was always restless because of my feelings for you." She sighed. "Denny deserved a chance for a normal life and now he won't get it. He probably never would have either because of me."

James cocked his head. "You don't think, given enough time, you'd have found a way to make it work?" Tania has an almost pathological will to never admit defeat.

Tania shook her head. "No, but I could have set him free … would have if he'd come back from the raid … but he didn't." Her voice went still and quiet.

James gave a grim nod. "I'm truly sorry."

Tania's palm curled into her fist. "And now, when I want to fix my mistakes and be with the man I want, it feels wrong. Why can't I ever get the timing right?" She smacked her thigh.

James jumped in. "We can't get it right. There're two of us, here."

Tania snorted. "Would you wanna be that guy? The one who jumps right back in?" She tsked. "Kind of seems like winning on a technicality, right?"

James shrugged. "Maybe, but it's not a competition." He paused. "Or is it? Am I competing with Denny's memory?"

Tania frowned. "No. And it sounds stupid when you put it that way."

James shook his head. "I don't mean to make the idea or you sound dumb. I guess I want to know what you want here. From me. For us." He cupped her shoulder, giving it a squeeze.

Tania moved closer. "I want us to be together but I don't want tongues wagging because we are."

James cocked his head. "Why does it matter?" Being grist for the rumor mill usually didn't bother her.

Tania huffed out a breath. "Because, for once, I give a shit about the fallout and what that does to you."

Touched she cared, he countered. "Look, we've wasted a lot of time. If we're ready and finally on the same page, can we walk away?" He couldn't.

Tania sighed. "No."

James clasped her hand. "Then we live our lives and be together. No fanfare. No grand announcements. Just you and me."

Tania squeezed his fingers. "You can't really think it'll be that simple."

James shrugged. "I don't care. People can talk all they want, but eventually they'll find something else to discuss." Took him a long time to figure that out.

Tania's eyes widened. "And you're okay with that?"

James tugged her closer. "I let outside influence drive us apart once before. I don't plan to let it happen again."

Tania gave him a happy smile. "Then let's start living now." She straddled his lap and leaned in close.

James did the one thing he'd wanted to do since she came back aboard the ship … he caught her lips with his and melted into the embrace.

I'm so happy with how this story is unfolding. Tania has some ghosts floating in her past and that means James is also haunted by them.


 

That's it for this week. Catch everyone on the flipside.

ML Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment